Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

sodapop554 Guest

Default [SOLVED] ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

So far this has happened twice & gets stranger as time goes by. At 1st my ZA Free Firewall event logs refused to clear. I found a solution to that simply by setting it to archive the log every day instead of once every 7 days. Although after doing that I've yet to see any events pop up. Normally I get quite a few per day although even after resetting my connection which normally triggers at least 2, I got nothing. In addition when I try to view the log I get an error saying that Windows cannot find the log. Following this when I click "browse" in the same log interface there's 3 different logs saved.

1st: fwdbglog

2nd: fwpktlog

3rd: ZALog2012.03.10

All of these logs contain data although when I try to delete them via the ZA interface it says "Log Error. File does not exist or is in use!". Should I try deleting the logs manually via finding them in the files?

Lastly, here are the two current events that refuse to clear from the log, as to which 1 they're from I'm not sure

http://fwalerts.zonealarm.com/fwanal...1&tab=overview

http://fwalerts.zonealarm.com/fwanal...2&tab=overview
    Last edited by sodapop554; March 16th, 2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Default Re: ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

Hi;

You're ZA databases may be corrupted AGAIN!!!

Try a reset (tools --> preferences --> Reset to default).

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World, without All the Details about your computer and Software that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Please List any other Security Programs or Registry Guard or Registry locking tools,
    installed as these programs may be conflicting with Zone Alarm.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 17th, 2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: updated

Please do not try to mess around with ZA files, 1st: fwdbglog and 2nd: fwpktlog are for diagnostic purpose and not the firewall logs.
    Also you should trust your router in ZA not to create connection problems, apparently you are not. So, you seem to have several problems in non-default settings or bad settings.

Start clean, if you do not know how to work with settings do not touch them. Keep it simple. Trust your LAN (192.168.X.X)....

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sodapop554 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hi;

You're ZA databases may be corrupted AGAIN!!!

Try a reset (tools --> preferences --> Reset to default).
    Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Please do not try to mess around with ZA files, 1st: fwdbglog and 2nd: fwpktlog are for diagnostic purpose and not the firewall logs.
    Also you should trust your router in ZA not to create connection problems, apparently you are not. So, you seem to have several problems in non-default settings or bad settings.

Start clean, if you do not know how to work with settings do not touch them. Keep it simple. Trust your LAN (192.168.X.X)....

Thanks,
    Fax
    That's just it though, I haven't messed with the settings this time. I did once before select every single thing to be logged although that messed it up so I had to re-install. This time I haven't touched a thing yet it's doing the same as before. Just now as matter of fact those two logs did disappear. I assume that they were just archived, although I've yet to get anymore. I'll wait until tomorrow since by then there should be at least 1 blocked event in the log due to during my computer on & connecting to the internet. If it's glitched where it no longer will ever display any logs does that mean nothings being blocked & I should re-install for my security or is it just a log problem?

Which version of ZA are you using? Be sure to run on the latest ZA free. We are at 10.1.097.000. That you can find here: http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

sodapop554 Guest

Which version of ZA are you using? Be sure to run on the latest ZA free. We are at 10.1.097.000. That you can find here: http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm
    I just reset Windows 7 Firewall all to default settings which turned it on. I then turned off ZA Free Firewall, uninstalled & re-installed again. I left all log settings what they were this time again upon install. I HAVE NOT in any way selected any additional options to log nor have I unselected any that were already set. After restarting my computer I found two new blocked logs in my ZA events. Upon clicking "clear" they both cleared perfectly fine so, so far so good. I just hope that my Windows 7 Firewall was good enough to protect me from all possible attacks while I was uninstalling, re-downloading & reinstalling ZA Free again.

Of course win7 firewall is OK and enough to protect you....

sodapop554 Guest

Of course win7 firewall is OK and enough to protect you....
    Alright well with the current settings there is in my ZA Free Firewall I should see at least a couple blocked events after I turn my computer & the internet back on tomorrow since I'm going to bed now. If I don't see any new blocked logs is it safe to assume that the logging is glitched again?

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop554 View Post
    Alright well with the current settings there is in my ZA Free Firewall I should see at least a couple blocked events after I turn my computer & the internet back on tomorrow since I'm going to bed now. If I don't see any new blocked logs is it safe to assume that the logging is glitched again?
    Hi;

Apparently your not understanding how Routers work, by default if working as designed they should block all or most unsolicited incoming events, so ZA Free would not Log an Event that was blocked before ever getting to ZA Free.

However, the Router is not designed to Block Outgoing Events,
    so ZA Free would log outgoing events, but not necessarily in the Diagnostic log file...

Keep it simple. Trust your LAN (192.168.X.X) to Block incoming Events.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 17th, 2012 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop554 View Post
    If I don't see any new blocked logs is it safe to assume that the logging is glitched again?
    No, it may be there is nothing to log. You are anyway behind a router. All unsolicited incoming call are already blocked by the router. ZA will only be useful for the outgoing calls.

Just ensure you have your LAN as "home" in your windows 7 and ensure the network is trusted in ZA (192.168.X.X/255.255....). Keep windows fully up to date and use a solid antivirus solution. Also check for vulnerable software in your PC using SECUNIA online check.

Having done this you will be safe and should not care about ZA logs.

Closing this thread since the issue is resolved. Please PM in case you need to re-open it or open a new thread for any other ZA product related issues.

Thanks,
    Fax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information