Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Licensing error after installation

togetfiles Guest

Default Licensing error after installation

Hi there,

I tried to install ZoneAlarm 10 using the web installer zaSetupWeb_101_101_000_en.exe, but it wouldn't download and would always fail.

That problem was found to be a CISCO VPN network driver that hadn't uninstalled properly.
    But, at the time I wasn't aware and sought the full offline download file instead, zaSetup_xxx_xxx_en.exe. Can't remember the exact name, but after installation I now suppose it to be the wrong file because I'm presented with a licensing error stating that the license has expired.

It was difficult seeking the original offline full installer, and since then I have been in a maze of registry editing, CCleaner cleaning, and manual permissions editing on files and folder to delete them from various system folders.

I've had three attempts at reinstalling Zonealarm Free Firewall(The web installer zaSetupWeb_101_101_000_en.exe now works fine) and on all occasions I have received an error that my license has expired and that my machine is not protected. After each failed installation I've had to clean my machine of its remnants.

At this moment I believe that the machine is definitely ready for another attempt at installation after reading and following the advice of this post:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=78531

But I'd like to be sure that the steps I have taken are correct so that I will no longer receive a licensing error.

The machine is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    The system seems to be cleaned of any previous installation(version 9 included).

I have ZoneAlarm Free installed and fully operational, using the latest web installer, on another machine running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Default Re: Licensing error after installation

Hi;

Where you running a previous retail version of ZA on your computer? If yes, which one exactly?

Here is a post by the Forum Moderator on Licensing Errors..

Cannot Connect to the Checkpoint License Server

This is a result of the activation process not having Administrator privileges on Windows Vista and Windows 7 when trying to authenticate and save your key into the registry.

In order to bypass this error please do the following:
    1. Right Click on the icon which starts the program.
    2. Left Click on Properties
    3. Left Click on the Compatibility Tab
    4. Check the box for "Run this Program as administrator"
    After this process is completed the program should authenticate your serial key properly and start the program.

Links:

Zone Labs CS: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...csShopHelp.jsp

Zone Labs Renewal: http://www.zonelabs.com/renew
    Sticky: "License Key issues" <== Click Here
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 1st, 2012 at 05:55 AM.

togetfiles Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hi;
    Here is a post by the Forum Moderator on Licensing Errors..

Sticky: "License Key issues"
    Thanks for the pointer, but the 'Sticky' only suggests to update the license key by purchasing another. I don't intend on purchasing a license because I would like to install the free version.

I accidentally installed ZoneAlarm Extreme Security because I thought it was ZoneAlarm Free Firewall. That is because the ZoneAlarm Free Firewall offline installer is not easily found and still I haven't found it.

Now that ZoneAlarm Extreme Security has previously been installed on this machine, simply removing it and reverting to ZoneAlarm Free Firewall(via the web installer) will always fail stating that my *license has expired.

*My license has expired for the free version of ZoneAlarm Free Firewall.

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall fails to function on this machine. Why?
    Because previous installations have not entirely removed themselves and remain on my machine.

I've tried:

*System Restore.
    *Registry Editing (Permission included).
    *Permissions editing on Files and Folders also.
    *File and Folder deletions.
    *ZoneAlarm Clean Tool.
    *Other Registry, File and Folder, cleaning tools.
    *Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Uninstall

All methods have failed to remove this software entirely as ZoneAlarm Free Firewall requests a license key; a license key that has no method of entry.

To the best of my knowledge, ZoneAlarm Free Firewall should not need or be requesting a license key.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 1st, 2012 at 04:11 AM.

Where you running a previous retail version on the machine? If yes, which one exactly?
    Have you closely look to the system and removed manually all "checkpoint" folders? Including in (x86) locations and hidden program data folder?
    If you where running a version 9 before have you manually remove all ZA traces using 64bit manual instructions?

Some of the links you propose are outdated or not working. ZA removal tool is CLEAN.EXE and not cpes_clean.exe.

Are you running with full privilegies on the system? Have you fully shutdown any security tool or imaging tools before trying to install?

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; April 1st, 2012 at 01:53 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

togetfiles Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Where you running a previous retail version on the machine? If yes, which one exactly?
    To the best of my knowledge, this machine never had a retail version installed, if it has then it must have been mistaken for the free version install file.

Details given by ZoneAlarm Free Firewall when selecting "About" from the system tray icon:

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 10.1.079.000
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.359.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.359.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Have you closely look to the system and removed manually all "checkpoint" folders? Including in (x86) locations and hidden program data folder?
    Yes, I have manually removed all "checkpoint" folders from within 'program data', 'program files', and 'program files (x86)' folders.
    I went further and removed all references of "zonealarm" and "checkpoint", that identify this software, from the windows registry.

If you where running a version 9 before have you manually remove all ZA traces using 64bit manual instructions?
    To the best of my knowledge I never had a version 9 installed, but I have followed the removal procedures that I found in other threads. But, if you will direct me to a specific method then I can check it again.

Some of the links you propose are outdated or not working. ZA removal tool is CLEAN.EXE and not cpes_clean.exe.
    Yeah, apologies. It's not intentional, but a whimsical effect.
    May I have a link to download the "cpes_clean.exe" file? Thanks.

Are you running with full privilegies on the system? Have you fully shutdown any security tool or imaging tools before trying to install?

Thanks,
    Fax
    Yes, I'm logged in as administrator when installing the software and Avast Antivirus is disabled during the entire install process.

Try to remove any ZA left overs in your windows 7 64bit installation by checking the system for files and folders suggested here:
    How do I manually remove Zonealarm (version 9) from Windows Vista X64 and Windows 7 X64 (skip the inital section referencing to cpes_clean.exe)

Then save on your desktop the ZA removal tool, right click on it and "run it as administrator".

Now, try again with the latest installer of ZAfree 10.1.101.000 you find here: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...101_000_en.exe

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; April 2nd, 2012 at 12:58 AM.

togetfiles Guest

Try to remove any ZA left overs in your windows 7 64bit installation by checking the system for files and folders suggested here:
    How do I manually remove Zonealarm (version 9) from Windows Vista X64 and Windows 7 X64 (skip the inital section referencing to cpes_clean.exe)

Then save on your desktop the ZA removal tool, right click on it and "run it as administrator".

Now, try again with the latest installer of ZAfree 10.1.101.000 you find here: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...101_000_en.exe

Thanks,
    Fax
    Fax, thanks for the assist as the help is appreciated.

However, after several attempts the licensing error somehow remains. I also cleaned the registry of valid references to checkpoint and zonealarm softwares before following the given instructions.

Also, I believe the ZA removal tool is the same tool that I had been using earlier, but after completing the recommended procedures I am given the following details from the about menu in the ZoneAlarm system tray icon:

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 10.1.101.000
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.380.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.2.104.0

When in comparison to my other machine running Windows Home Premium 64bit there are two further features missing. They are:

vsmon version: 10.1.101.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000

Now, it seems something is stopping these two features from installing/running correctly.

I did use windows search on the C:\ drive to find and to remove any remaining install files. None were found using this method:

vsconfig.* OR vsxml.* OR vsregexp.* OR vsdata.* OR vsdata95.* OR vsdatant.* OR vsmonapi.* OR vspubapi.* OR vsinit.* OR vsutil.* OR vswmi.* OR zlcommdb.* OR zlcomm.* OR zpeng24.* OR zpeng25.*

I'd like the Free version installed and at this stage I'd prefer not to:

#1. Register for TrialPay (actual name may differ) and be given a 'free' licence for 12 months; maybe within the given period this issue will have bee completely resolved.

#.2 Purchase a license.

Is there anything else I can try to have this software functioning correctly? Thanks.

As you describe it, apparently for some unknown reasons, ZA fails to copy some core files into the system or fails to create the appropriate entries in the OS registry. This is causing the false positive on licensing.

Vsmon is the core of ZA (firewall driver) and I am not surprised if ZA cannot work correctly without it. Most probably write permissions on the registry are broken or limited by a third party software.

I am afraid I have no other suggestions to resolved your issue aside from reinstalling the OS on the system from scratch. But I am sure this is not an option you can consider.

You may want to try to contact the support for the ZA free you find at the ZA support web and see if they can suggest you a workaround or a fix. I doubt very much so.

Otherwise there are plenty of free firewalls out there including the same windows firewall. Just test few of them and see which one works best on the system.

Thanks,
    Fax

I would suggest to check the following :

1.) The user account does not have appropriate rights.Always use an account with Administrative rights when installing software.

2.) Another security program is protecting the registry (some antivirus, anti-Trojan, or anti-spyware does this)Disable before installing.You might want to also check for malware trying to block installation.

3.) A failed upgrade or installation left a registry key with incorrect settings.You could check your registry for any ZoneAlarm leftover entries.Make sure to backup your registry before making any changes.

In reading all the threads looks like you have done all except checking you're system for malware.Just a thought.

Out of suggestion here.Use ZoneAlarm Free Firewall Technical Support at this link :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-firewall.htm

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; April 3rd, 2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: typo

togetfiles Guest

Vsmon is the core of ZA (firewall driver) and I am not surprised if ZA cannot work correctly without it. Most probably write permissions on the registry are broken or limited by a third party software.

I am afraid I have no other suggestions to resolved your issue aside from reinstalling the OS on the system from scratch. But I am sure this is not an option you can consider.
    I have SpyBot 1.6.2 installed, so I'll soon look into that.

The original Install Date of the OS is only Feb 2011, and this machine is used to encrypt(among other functions) GB's of data that will require certain processes before reinstalling an operating system. So reinstalling is something I'd like to avoid at this time, but it may be an option in the not so distant future.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Soldiers View Post
    I would suggest to check the following :
    1.) The user account does not have appropriate rights.Always use an account with Administrative rights when installing software.
    I'm logged in as Administrator and also after any reboot process.

2.) Another security program is protecting the registry (some antivirus, anti-Trojan, or anti-spyware does this)Disable before installing.You might want to also check for malware trying to block installation.
    Fax mentioned this too, a slight lapse on my behalf and I'll look into the SpyBot 1.6.2 configuration and see if it is hindering the ZA process. Maybe uninstall it or simply shut it down.

3.) A failed upgrade or installation left a registry key with incorrect settings.You could check your registry for any ZoneAlarm leftover entries.Make sure to backup your registry before making any changes.
    I only know to search for ZoneAlarm and CheckPoint entries within the registry. If these entries point to the uninstalled software then they are removed.

In reading all the threads looks like you have done all except checking you're system for malware.Just a thought.
    Out of suggestion here.Use ZoneAlarm Free Firewall Technical Support at this link :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-firewall.htm

Have a nice Day
    I can bring it down for a full system scan, shouldn't be a problem there. If all else fails then maybe I'll make the call and try the ZoneAlarm Free Firewall Technical Support for assistance.

I'll spend some more time, if successful then I'll report back to the forum, the assistance is appreciated.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information