Thread: Application control never asks permission, just lets everything through?!

bucko_matt Guest

Default Application control never asks permission, just lets everything through?!

Hi,

I'm evaluating Zone Alarm free firewall, I have used the product in the past and recommended it to friends and family on a budget. I'm having some issues with the new version though. I went into "Application Control" and clicked on "View Programs". I was pleased to see that most of the software I use was recognized and automatically cleared for access. I wanted to see how the new ZoneAlarm handled program alerts so I took Firefox and Evernote, and changed "SmartDefense" to "Custom", then trust level to "Ask", and then went across changing everything to "Ask", so that there were question marks in each column.

I then clicked "OK".. I fired up both Firefox and Evernote but they just connect to the internet like normal?! I don't see the ZoneAlarm alert box asking for permission at all (I've yet to see it for any application on the PC).

Clearly I'm missing something here, application control is turned on so why am I not seeing any prompts? can anyone explain what I've done wrong?

Default Re: Application control never asks permission, just lets everything through?!

Hi!
    Please search the board before posting, see sticky post just few messages above this:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=78199

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Application control never asks permission, just lets everything through?!

bucko_matt FWIW : After following what suggested.Remember when popup " Repeat Program " appears, untick " Remember this setting " every time if you want program to ask every time you open program.Otherwise program will no longer ask when you click Allow.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; April 10th, 2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Typo, rephrase

Quote Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post
    I wouldn't say that's the be all/end all answer to the problem. I've followed every single suggestion multiple times over and still to this day cannot get ANY free version of ZA 10 work properly. Doesn't remember my personal settings and grants in/out permissions on it's own whenever it feels like it regardless of any settings. I keep trying each new version of 10 but have never had any luck whatsoever. The Pro versions of 10 work 100% for me, it's just the free that won't work correctly on my system for whatever reason. My suggestion is to first try the recommended solutions, and if it doesn't work you have four options. Upgrade to ZA 10 Pro, revert back to a pre-10 version of ZA Free, find a different firewall solution, or use no firewall at all.
    You have one more option here.

You can also seek Free Tech Support for ZoneAlarm Free Firewall :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-firewall.htm

You could also try ZoneAlarm® Free Antivirus + Firewall 10 Beta here :

https://www.zonealarm.com/security/e...ZAAV-FREE-BETA

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; April 10th, 2012 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post
    I wouldn't say that's the be all/end all answer to the problem. I've followed every single suggestion multiple times over and still to this day cannot get ANY free version of ZA 10 work properly. Doesn't remember my personal settings and grants in/out permissions on it's own whenever it feels like it regardless of any settings. I keep trying each new version of 10 but have never had any luck whatsoever. The Pro versions of 10 work 100% for me, it's just the free that won't work correctly on my system for whatever reason. My suggestion is to first try the recommended solutions, and if it doesn't work you have four options. Upgrade to ZA 10 Pro, revert back to a pre-10 version of ZA Free, find a different firewall solution, or use no firewall at all.
    Hi!

You have been posting this several times in the past months...

The best you can do is to test the new ZA firewall/antivirus currently in beta (as already suggested). The advantage is that the report will go directly to the ZA development team.

Please do not hijack other user threads. Your issue is different. Open your own thread and report about your beta results in the beta section.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information