Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WORKAROUND] iexplore.exe crashing --> Increase frequency of clear virtual data

slp Guest

Default [WORKAROUND] iexplore.exe crashing --> Increase frequency of clear virtual data

Hi,

I'm running ZAES 10.1.079 with Browser Virtualisation turned on. My computer is XP professional, SP3, running IE8. This is a clean installation of the new 10.1.079 version - previously was running version 9.3.014 with Browser Virtualisation turned on, with no problems.

With this version, it can work fine for a while while surfing using IE8 (I'm talking minutes here, not hours or days), but eventually the more windows we click in and out of, open/shut tabs etc, Explorer slows down until it appears it isn't working at all. There is such a lag between shutting a window or clicking on a button that it might take a few minutes to respond to that command.

I discovered that if I go into Task Manager / Processes, there are several instances of iexplore.exe running. Sometimes three or four, but often two. If I click on "End Process" for one of the iexplore.exe processes, then it has several effects: Firstly, ending one instance of iexplore.exe usually shuts more than one of the instances (sometimes all of them). Secondly, the speed of my computer is restored to normal, until I keep surfing and too many iexplore.exe's appear again in Task Manager, so I have to end the process again.

This is very annoying and frustrating. Also (possibly related), it crashes several sites. For example, watching a You Tube video starts OK, but often before it is finished it gets "stuck", and we keep hearing blips of the sound trying to work but getting nowhere. I have to end the iexplore.exe process to get out of it, which throws us out of You Tube. It is impossible to watch videos with Browser Virtualisation on.

I thought initially that it was a poor installation. Originally I installed 10.1.079 over the top of my version 9, as that was what the programme wanted to do. I soon realised that was a bad idea, so uninstalled and reinstalled. Still didn't work, so I uninstalled using every cleaning tool I could find reference to on these forums (ff_cleanup, clean.exe, iecleaner, appremover.exe), in safe mode and in normal mode. I also went into the registry and files and deleted any reference I could find to Zone Alarm. And, I ran the Kaspersky virus removal tool which is linked to on the Support page of ZA (it found nothing).

Since I have reinstalled it is still doing the same thing every time I switch Browser Virtualisation on. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.1.079.000
    vsmon version: 10.1.079.000
    Driver version: 10.1.079.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1079545632
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.350.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.53.235
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU, Q9650 @ 3.00 GHz, 3.25 GB RAM

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    SLP

Default Re: Multiple iexplore.exe crashing computer running browser virtualisation

Hi!

seeing more than one iexplorer can be normal. Especially if you work with IE tabs. The instability you are experiencing may be linked to corrupted cache. Clear more often the ZA virtual cache ("clear virtual cache").

For the slow down on video you can try to boot the system with ZAX and OS services only to see if it is an issue with a combination of other running processes. It could be linked to video quality, bandswitch available, RAM, graphic card, etc.

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZAtray and forcefield
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

Now keep testing, then if no problem occurs start enabling back those UNchecked items by group of three or four starting from the services and the moving to the startup section up to when you find the culprit.

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 24th, 2012 at 02:44 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Multiple iexplore.exe crashing computer running browser virtualisation

As suggested to do Selective Startup, I would also suggest to reset IE8.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings here :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Note : Some toolbars may require that two or more controls are enabled to work correctly. These toolbars have controls for the corresponding Browser Helper Object and toolbar extensions. You can easily use the Manage Add-ons dialog box to enable any disabled controls that are from a trusted publisher.

Footnote : To reset Internet Explorer automatically, You can run the Microsoft Fix it from this link also.

Have a nice Day

XP SP3
    Firefox 10.0.2
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.1.079.000
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; February 24th, 2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Added version, typo

Hi;

I agree with Guru Fax's advice for troubleshooting your IE problem and possible conflicts..

Here is some Additional solutions from the Microsoft Iexplorer "FIXIT" page

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

View or run solutions for Fix performance, page display, errors or crashes

Run NowLearn MoreFix Internet Explorer add-on problems when IE hangs or freezesAutomatically troubleshoot Internet Explorer problems when the browser crashes, freezes, hangs or stops responding caused by IE browser add-ons.
    Run NowLearn MoreFix Internet Explorer issues to make IE fast, safe and stableDiagnose and repair ie problems that make ie slow, not secure, unstable or crash, caused by add-ons not working or inappropriate security settings.
    Learn MoreHow to reset Internet Explorer settingsDescribes how you can reset Windows Internet Explorer settings. Includes information about the effects of the reset.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

slp Guest

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I have tried Fax's suggestions.
    I cleared the virtual cache, then went on and followed the instructions for booting the system with ZAX and OS to check for conflicts.

Result: Before I finished testing what effect the change in startup had, the computer slowed down to the point where I had to delete the iexplore.exe process in order to continue. This fixed the slow-down, but also shut down IE8. After going back in and testing, I found the video sticking problem still eventually occurs even with only the ZAtray, Forcefield and TrueVector Internet Monitor operating. Occasionally it freed itself to run for another ten seconds or so, then stuck again. This problem never occurs with virtualisation turned off, so it has to have something to do with that?

Anyhow, it's midnight here so I will try the further suggestions from SkySoldiers and GeorgeV tomorrow and report back. Thanks for everyone's input; it is always greatly appreciated.

SLP

Follow "Sky Soldiers" suggestion and after having reset IE try to run it only with the ZA add-ons, to exclude conflicts with other third party components in IE.

Thanks,
    Fax

slp Guest

Further information required for someone who's not sure what they're doing!

Sky Soldiers, when I reset IE8 would you recommend that I "Delete personal settings", or is it OK to keep these? (I don't mind losing browsing history, home pages etc but I don't know how to put back the ActiveX filtering data or tracking protection etc which Microsoft talks about in their article).

Fax, when you say after resetting IE to run it only with the ZA add-ons, do you mean to go to the MSConfig and do what you said in your original reply, or something else?

Thanks,
    SLP

Quote Originally Posted by slp View Post
    Sky Soldiers, when I reset IE8 would you recommend that I "Delete personal settings", or is it OK to keep these? (I don't mind losing browsing history, home pages etc but I don't know how to put back the ActiveX filtering data or tracking protection etc which Microsoft talks about in their article).
    Thanks,
    SLP
    This information applies to Windows Internet Explorer 8.

This should answers all you're concerns.

Internet Explorer settings that are affected by a reset at this link :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...rer-8-settings

Footnote : A Reset does not delete your favorites but I would play it safe anyhow.I would export IE favorites.

At this site :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ernet-Explorer

Note : Since you addressed you're other concern to fax, I'll let Guru fax answer that query.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; February 26th, 2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Added more info, typo

Quote Originally Posted by slp View Post
    Fax, when you say after resetting IE to run it only with the ZA add-ons, do you mean to go to the MSConfig and do what you said in your original reply, or something else?

Thanks,
    SLP
    You have to disable/enable add-ons within IE8. See here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions#

"how can I disable a browser add-on"

Disable all non-Microsoft add-ons. Leave "conduit ltd" and "Checkpoint" add-ons.

slp Guest

Thanks Sky Soldiers and Fax. Your help is appreciated.

I thought I'd be able to report success - with the reset done and add-ons disabled all worked well for 3/4 of a day, then the machine started slowing right down again sometimes, and a few videos stuck too. I'm still in the process of trying to narrow down what is switched on to cause this conflict. Will report back with the answer when (if!) I find it (if my husband hasn't smashed the computer in frustration first!)

SLP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information