Thread: Help - "I have encountered an error during ZA upgrades"

Myakka Guest

Default Help - "I have encountered an error during ZA upgrades"

Hello Everybody.

I'm new to the forums but have been using ZA for several years on multiple machines. I have encountered an error during upgrades that I need helpful insights on how best to proceed.

It started in late summer of 2011 during a several month long out-of-town project when I attempted to upgrade my personal laptop to 100_250 (HP Pavilion DV7 Win7). It would only get so far and then it would state, “Failed to start boot sector and memory scan.” It would then cut the install short and would not recognize either of my two different license numbers. I have them set to auto-renew and was in good standing at the time. The only thing that worked was reinstalling the previous version: 9.3.37.0

When I returned home, I attempted to upgrade my other PC’s (3 laptops and 2 desktops all running Win7 fully patched and updated) and they, too, would not complete the installation even though the new ZA versions were even higher than 100_250 by then. What are the chances that all 5 machines truly have boot sector problems? They were all protected by ZA.

In January, 2012, I finally contacted ZA tech support via live chat. Over the course of several hours, they had me try many different things including using the clean tool, verifying certain components were or were not present in the Registry, turning on a logging tool to capture the events and e-mailing the log to them.

Unfortunately, the end result was that all they could do was to say they would forward the log on to the ZA developers and for me to try to update again in the future. I have not heard back from ZA and am still unable to upgrade from 9.3.37.0 to anything newer.

I’m at the point where I need to either find a solution, and continue using ZA, or I need to buy a different program to protect my family’s PCs. I would appreciate any and all advice y’all can provide.

Thank you in advance.

Myakka

Default Re: Help - "Failed to start boot sector and memory scan"

Quote Originally Posted by Myakka View Post
    Hello Everybody.

In January, 2012, I finally contacted ZA tech support via live chat. Over the course of several hours, they had me try many different things including using the clean tool, verifying certain components were or were not present in the Registry, turning on a logging tool to capture the events and e-mailing the log to them.

Unfortunately, the end result was that all they could do was to say they would forward the log on to the ZA developers and for me to try to update again in the future. I have not heard back from ZA and am still unable to upgrade from 9.3.37.0 to anything newer.

Myakka
    I would suggest to resume followup with continue Feedback to Zone Aarm Tech Support and followed their directions.

Give them full details and what steps you have taken and that what suggesred has not resolve you're issue.

If you have current valid license seek help at Tech Support :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

One last thought.Possibility of corruption problem in the boot sectors of the OS.I would also suggest to check for malware using the Malware Clean-up Guidance :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70448

Have a nice Day

Note : In the future when seeking help in the forum please provide volunteers the following information along with your issue when posting here :

Full OS Platform / PC Type, Brand, Processor & Ram / Browser / Security Programs Installed / ZoneAarm Type & Version
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; April 14th, 2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Note

Smile Re: Help - "I have encountered an error during ZA upgrades"

Hello Everybody.

I'm new to the forums but have been using ZA for several years on multiple machines. I have encountered an error during upgrades that I need helpful insights on how best to proceed.

I’m at the point where I need to either find a solution, and continue using ZA, or I need to buy a different program to protect my family’s PCs. I would appreciate any and all advice y’all can provide.

Thank you in advance.

Myakka

Hi;

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

I agree with Sky Soldiers,

Generally, when submitting the ZA Diagnostic Logs to ZA Development, they will ONLY contact you if they need more files or logs from you.. so it is unlikely that you will recieve email from them or from Tech Support at this time..- You will need to contact Live Chat for any additional issues or check on progress.

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer and Software that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list Full details of your Computer:

Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version, other security tools installed.

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

NOTE: There could be a dozen reasons why the new ZA 10.1.079.000 upgrade will not install on your computer,
    1.) If you have ZA Extreme Security installed, Turn OFF Virtualization before Installing any upgrade..

2.) You may also have other Security Software installed that is conflicting with ZA or Blocking ZA from writing to Windows Registry..

3.) Malware may be Blocking the install of Zone Alarm..
    Sticky: Malware Clean-up Guidance <= Click here

TRY This Method :

Follow these instructions Below to clean your computer of the old version and any conflicting 3rd party Security programs, then install a clean new copy of the current supported version of ZA 10.1.079.000

The instruction for a clean install are below,

1. Download Looking for the latest version? <== click here

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry withthe Free Ccleaner.exe
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, now reboot after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Save Settings from the old install.
    Please post back here if you find a solution. It may help other users...
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 29th, 2012 at 06:16 AM. Reason: update
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Myakka Guest

Default Re: Help - "I have encountered an error during ZA upgrades"

GeorgeV & Sky Soldiers,

Thank you for your advice. I followed GeorgeV's steps first without success so I started all over with these steps and then performed all of Sky Soldiers steps next. ZAES 101_079_000 finally installed without any error messages.

Now, when I launch the program, I get a screen saying that my license has expired. When I click on "Tools" and then enter either of my two license keys, which auto-renewed on 1/15/12 and 4/3/12, it says they are not valid. I've even tried entering the keys without dashes without any success. I've also tried right-clicking on the ZAES icon and clicking on the "Run As Administrator" option to no avail.

How do I activate the new version?

HP Pavilion DV7, Win7 Home Premium SP1, Firefox 11, IE 9.0.8112.16421, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware

Hi

As suggested, please follow up directly with ZA support to check for your invalid license key.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

GeorgeV & Sky Soldiers,

Thank you for your advice. I followed GeorgeV's steps first without success so I started all over with these steps and then performed all of Sky Soldiers steps next. ZAES 101_079_000 finally installed without any error messages.

Now, when I launch the program, I get a screen saying that my license has expired. When I click on "Tools" and then enter either of my two license keys, which auto-renewed on 1/15/12 and 4/3/12, it says they are not valid. I've even tried entering the keys without dashes without any success. I've also tried right-clicking on the ZAES icon and clicking on the "Run As Administrator" option to no avail.

How do I activate the new version?

HP Pavilion DV7, Win7 Home Premium SP1, Firefox 11, IE 9.0.8112.16421, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware
    ZAES 101_079_000 not compatible with Firefox 11.Install Firefox 10.0.2 for now till they release one compatible for version 11.In the event you don't have Firefox 10.0.2.You can download from Filehippo.

See here : http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...409#post293409

Try the following.If you still have issues follow-up with Support.

Open ZoneAlarm, click on the 'Tools' dropdown menu and select 'Synchronize License' (This requires an active internet connection to work)

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...99&action=view

Try inputing your license into ZoneAlarm, by following these directions:

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...64&action=view

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; April 15th, 2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Typo, added link

Thread Information