Thread: Virus detected when installing Netgear Wireless adapter?

Default Virus detected when installing Netgear Wireless adapter?

I was just installing a Netgear N150 USB Wireless Adapter for my Windows desktop PC. In the middle of the installation Zone Alarm's anti-virus scanner found an alleged virus in one of the files. The name of the virus is:

not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Gaba.nmc

and it found it on c:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WNA100M\WTmpl.dll

The instruction manual for the adapter notes that ZoneAlarm might interfere with driver installation. Does anyone else have experience with this? Assuming this is a false positive, I guess I'll shut down ZoneAlarm temporarily, install this driver, then reboot.

Default Re: Virus detected when installing Netgear Wireless adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by rickola View Post
    I was just installing a Netgear N150 USB Wireless Adapter for my Windows desktop PC. In the middle of the installation Zone Alarm's anti-virus scanner found an alleged virus in one of the files. The name of the virus is:

not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Gaba.nmc

and it found it on c:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WNA100M\WTmpl.dll

The instruction manual for the adapter notes that ZoneAlarm might interfere with driver installation. Does anyone else have experience with this? Assuming this is a false positive, I guess I'll shut down ZoneAlarm temporarily, install this driver, then reboot.
    Not-a-virus means its not a virus. It can be a low level issue like a cookie, something very minor or the file contains adware.

From ZoneAlarm Readme : ZoneAlarm Antivirus will automatically quarantine archives that contain "not-a-virus" files.

You could also do quick detection by uploading file at : https://www.virustotal.com/

I would also suggest to report if false positive.See the following link :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=72918

Note : In the future when seeking help in the forum please provide volunteers the following information along with your issue when posting here :

Full OS Platform / PC Type, Brand, Processor & Ram / Browser / Security Programs Installed / ZoneAarm Type & Version

If you have current valid license seek help at Tech Support :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; April 16th, 2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo

Ah, thank you. I think you're saying the name "not-a-virus..." is given by Zone Alarm? I'd assumed it was coming directly from the virus in which case it could be a ruse to trick anti-virus programs.

So after I report this to Zone Labs, is it ok to temporarily turn off Zone Alarm and re-attempt the installation of this driver?

Windows 7, HP, ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 10.1.079.000
    ZoneAlarm license key: NEVER POST YOUR LICENSE KEY IN A PUBLIC FORUM
    vsmon version: 10.1.079.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1083218880
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.350.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.53.235
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 16th, 2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: You may have Compromised your ZA License Key

Quote Originally Posted by rickola View Post
    So after I report this to Zone Labs, is it ok to temporarily turn off Zone Alarm and re-attempt the installation of this driver?
    When Kaspersky sends you email confirmation that indeed it's false positive.They will include in the email that they have updated Antivirus database to correct false detection.Then you can Restore file from Quarantine and you should be good to go.

Also Under Anti-Virus & Anti-spyware > Settings > Advanced Settings > View Quarantine

Make sure you have a check on "Rescan when new signatures are received. Auto roll back if scans are negative"

Have no other suggestions to offer.

If you have current valid license and and still need help :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; April 17th, 2012 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Rephrase

I Google your Wireless Adapter and found the following :

A firewall or antivirus software, such as ZoneAlarm, might be interfering with driver installation.

Install the drivers for the wireless adapter first and then Reinstall the firewall and antivirus software.

You could check with Support if it's advisable.Read the following if you wish.Your call.

See Excluding items from virus scans in the following post :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...619#post293619

Unless other users provide feedback on this.Out of suggestions here.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; April 17th, 2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Hi!

please follow the instruction in this thread and report the false positive to Kaspersky:

How to diagnose and/or report antivirus/antispyware false positives

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thank you; searching the web I realized this problem has existed for years and neither Netgear nor Kaspersky has done anything about it, so probably reporting it to Kaspersky will have no effect. So unfortunately I think the best solution is to do what the instructions for the wireless adapter suggest: uninstall Zone Alarm, install the wireless adapter driver, then re-install Zone Alarm.

My problem: I've never uninstalled Zone Alarm before, so I'd like do know: will I lose all my settings, logs, etc.?

The approach is unlikely to solve the problem since you may get the detection at one of the on-demand scanning and your wireless connection may be broken. Please report it as false positive as already suggested.

Thanks,
    Fax

Wherever I look on the web I see that there has been a conflict of many years' standing between the installation of the drivers for Netgear wireless adapters on one hand and the presence of Zone Alarm on the other. The incompatibility is only with the installation of the driver. Once the driver is installed then the adapter coexists fine with Zone Alarm.

After many years of this incompatibility existing (and presumably many people writing to them about it!) I'm just not sure that Kaspersky would quickly issue an update if one more person writes to them about it!

I just wanted to get a sense of if I lose my various Zone Alarm settings, configurations, logs, programs, etc. if I uninstall Zone Alarm.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    The approach is unlikely to solve the problem since you may get the detection at one of the on-demand scanning and your wireless connection may be broken. Please report it as false positive as already suggested.

Thanks,
    Fax

I cannot see on the internet any reference to the specific false positive "not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Gaba.nmc" and NETGEAR drivers aside from your own post. You need to report the false positive to Kaspersky via their web form.

What you read on the internet is the need to reinstall ZA after having installed the netgear drivers. This may even not be the case with the current version anymore. I have no problems here with it.

I am afraid I will need soon to close this thread since we have already given the direction to solve the issue.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; April 18th, 2012 at 05:29 AM.

Thread Information