Thread: Problems with ForceField License since upgrade

Hybrid View

techdog Guest

Default Problems with ForceField License since upgrade

I have been over this issue with ZoneAlarm technical support SEVERAL times and I am hoping that someone on this forum can help me to figure out a way to solve the problem I'm having.

I upgraded from ZA Extreme 10.1.056 to 10.1.079 several months ago. After the upgrade, ForceField stopped working. I finally figured out what the issue was by killing ForceField.exe and restarting it - this brought up the ForceField icon in the alert bar (right hand side of taskbar). (I learned this little trick from ZoneAlarm the last time a ForceField live update asserted itself...)

The ForceField license indicated that it was expired - I had just renewed by ZA extreme license and had ZA extreme was showing the correct license information.

I then proceeded to go through several weeks, and several tech reps, of uninstalling ZA, cleaning the registry, etc., to no avail. The only thing that works is to uninstall ForceField (using the uninstall.exe in the ForceField folder) with the /rmlicense switch and then completely reinstall ZA extreme.

I have submitted debug information to ZA and have been told that no communication from development would be forthcoming but that a fix MIGHT be rolled into an upcoming version/update.

Can anyone help me??? I am really getting tired of re-installing ForceField every 15 days - when the trial license period expires - which is what ForceField seems to think.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance you can provide on solving this issue.

Dean

Default Re: Problems with ForceField License since upgrade

We don't support standalone forcefield anymore.

The uninstall method your trying is not supported with /rmlicense.

Force is a very finicky technology.

Once it stops working and support has tried everything we know to MAYBE get it to work from what you described here.

At this point you have two options to either see if a user can help you here OR you must FORMAT your hard drive. Yes format it don't skip that step.

Reinstall your OS and then install ALL windows updates including all service packs, security updates and ALL non-critical updates.

DO NOT install any other drivers or software at all.

Next download Extreme again and install.

See if Web Security (we haven't called it forcefield in ages) will work.
    If it does great but it could break again.

If you don't want to do this or it breaks again just send me a PM.
    I will see about MAYBE getting you a refund for Extreme or something else.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

If you had ForceField (standalone) installed at one time.Have you tried the following when doing clean install of ZAES.Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs).Then run the ZA removal tool :

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

After the reboot run dedicated tool.Also reboot after running tool to remove ForceField.

Is there a dedicated tool to remove the standalone version of forcefield?

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...ff_cleanup.zip

Also Clean your system and registry with the Free CCleaner.exe

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim

Now install ZAES and do not restore old settings.Hope this does it for you.No other suggestions to offer.

Btw : Browser Virtualization builtin into ZAES.Default is Off at install.Must be turn On to enable Browser Virtualization.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; May 8th, 2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Typo, rephrase

techdog Guest

Sky Soldiers - I did all of that...

Moderator - This issue was caused by the upgrade. ForceField was working fine until then. I had never installed the standalone version of ForceField on this computer. The only recourse that seemed to work was the /rmlicense. I didn't try that until exhausting all of the other avenues.

It seems to me that there should be a way to convert the ZA Extreme license to a form that ForceField wants as a license. Or to delete from the registry, or the disk, the information that is keeping ForceField from registering that the ZA Extreme license is in effect.

Formatting the drive and re-installing the OS seems over the top for something like this.

If you already tried what suggested then I am afraid the only solutions that other users reported to work are "restore point" to a time when you did not have the problem (you need to remove ZA before restoring) or reformat the PC.

Sorry,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Yes while you feel it was the 'upgrade ' that caused it. The facts remain web security technology (old forcefield) is very finicky and has had this issue from day one.

There nothing more Support or ZoneAlarm can do for you in this situation besides what I have already posted.

Possibly Fax's suggestion might help or another users suggestion can help at this point.

Forum Moderator.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information