Thread: [Solved] Zone Alarm Update Affecting Open Office => Uninstalled AVG

JayA Guest

Default [Solved] Zone Alarm Update Affecting Open Office => Uninstalled AVG

I downloaded the Zone Alarm update today, since doing so it is screwing up Open Office, the program keeps 'hanging'. The only way I can get it to work is disable Zone Alarm.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Default Re: Zone Alarm Update Affecting Open Office

Hi!

whenever posting here you should try detail the exact version of ZAfree used (right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> Copy to clipboard --> paste it here) and if you made an UPGRADE (installed on top of the old) or fresh install (removed the previous version before installing the last.

Give some information about the OS used and if it updated or not and on the security tools or other tools you are running together with ZA.

More information you provide more likely other users here will be able to help.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Smile Re: Zone Alarm Update Affecting Open Office

Quote Originally Posted by JayA View Post
    I downloaded the Zone Alarm update today, since doing so it is screwing up Open Office, the program keeps 'hanging'. The only way I can get it to work is disable Zone Alarm.

Is anyone else having this issue?
    Hi;

I agree with Guru Fax;

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World, without All the Details about your computer and Software and what Type and Version of Zone Alarm that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version, any other security tools installed.

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

JayA Guest

Hi,

Thanks, sorry for not including all the relevant data.

This is what I am using:

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 10.2.047.000
    vsmon version: 10.2.047.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.2.11.97
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1084779584
    Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.388.0

I received an update whilst on my PC (Laptop, running Windows 7), to update to this version, did so, all fine. I'd had the earlier message on my home PC, too (Laptop is for work). After the install, I rebooted, and started to use Open Office to write an article. I went to save the article, and the app 'hung', I closed using Task Manager but it wouldn't re-open. I had to reboot. Opened Open Office, went to save what I was writing again, and it 'hung' once more. Went through the same process as before.

Tried for a third time, had the same problem - as the only change I'd made to the PC that day was Zone Alarm, I disabled it, and Open Office worked fine, I can write, save, edit, as before.

I use AVG on my laptop, too, and when I open my PC now it gives me an unspecified error, which doesn't come on when I disable Zone Alarm.

Thanks for the help.

Hi!

not sure I follow which computer is the problem (or both). First of all you cannot run two antiviruses at the same time. The version of ZA you have installed already contain the antivirus. If you want to keep that ZA version you should:

1. From Windows 7, control panel, uninstall a program, remove ZA 10.2.047. Reboot the machine

2. From From Windows 7, control panel, uninstall a program, remove AVG (and link scanner if present). Reboot the machine

3. Turn ON windows 7 firewall if not already ON.

4. Check Open office works fine.

5. Clean your system and registry with ccleaner.com
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim

6. Reinstall ZA. Better if you start from a fresh installer:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...02_047_000.exe

See now if everything works OK.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Smile Re: Zone Alarm Update Affecting Open Office

Quote Originally Posted by JayA View Post
    Hi,

Thanks, sorry for not including all the relevant data.

This is what I am using:

vsmon version: 10.2.047.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.2.11.97
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1084779584
    Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.388.0

I received an update whilst on my PC (Laptop, running Windows 7), to update to this version, did so, all fine. I'd had the earlier message on my home PC, too (Laptop is for work). After the install, I rebooted, and started to use Open Office to write an article. I went to save the article, and the app 'hung', I closed using Task Manager but it wouldn't re-open. I had to reboot. Opened Open Office, went to save what I was writing again, and it 'hung' once more. Went through the same process as before.

Tried for a third time, had the same problem - as the only change I'd made to the PC that day was Zone Alarm, I disabled it, and Open Office worked fine, I can write, save, edit, as before.

I use AVG on my laptop, too, and when I open my PC now it gives me an unspecified error, which doesn't come on when I disable Zone Alarm.

Thanks for the help.
    Hi;
    Thank you for providing the additional information..

1.) I think I see were your problem is:

all previous versions of Zone Alarm FREE never included it's own Antivirus program built into Zone Alarm..

this new release does..

AVG antivirus worked well with the previous versions of ZA Free,

However, running two or more AV programs on the same computer will not work well, as they will Conflict with each other or Block any files that are scanned or monitored by the other AV program. Sorry..

2.) Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows 7 uninstall a Program software tool in the control panel.

Please Post back here with your Progress Report so that Users of this Forum with a similar problem may benefit from the solution to your problem..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 9th, 2012 at 08:18 AM.

JayA Guest

Thanks for the feedback, I will let you know the outcome.

JayA Guest

Hi,

Thanks to all for your feedback and help. I have deleted AVG and re-installed Zone Alarm from fresh, and the issue with Open Office is no longer occurring.

Certainly makes work much easier to be getting on with!

Thanks again to all for helping.

Jay

Hi;

Thank your for Reporting back with the solution to your Issue with Open Office..

Since you have resolved your issue, I will revise the title thread and closing this thread..

If you have any other problems with Zone Alarm Free, please start a new thread..

Thank you;

GeorgeV
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 10th, 2012 at 07:51 AM.

Thread Information