ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 10.2.047.000
    vsmon version: 10.2.047.000
    Driver version: 10.2.047.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.2.11.97
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1085371424
    Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.388.0
    and
    AVG Free version 2012.0.2176

On scanning (I'd had Heuristics on), ZA decided I had malware on my system - OK, so I told it to handle it; It then (without my having any say in the matter) deleted mirc.exe as "possible malware" (fixed that), and also decided that avgcorex.dll (part of AVG) was malware (HEUR.Virus.Win32.Generic) and removed it - thus disabling my (previously working) Anti-Virus.

So, a suggestion, turn Heuristics OFF if you are running ZoneAlarm as just the firewall, and AVG for your Anti-Virus, lest you have to fix it LOL

(I wish I could reach the ZA developers and suggest that they not delete AVG's internal DLLs without seeing if AVG is your active antivirus, but, sigh.) I'll go suggest to GRISoft that they plan to recover easier when this happens LOL

Default Re: ZA Free + Antivirus Deletes mirc.exe

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sheesh View Post
    Hi - Running these versions;
    ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 10.2.047.000
    vsmon version: 10.2.047.000
    Driver version: 10.2.047.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.2.11.97
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1085371424
    Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.388.0
    and
    AVG Free version 2012.0.2176

On scanning (I'd had Heuristics on), ZA decided I had malware on my system - OK, so I told it to handle it; It then (without my having any say in the matter) deleted mirc.exe as "possible malware" (fixed that), and also decided that avgcorex.dll (part of AVG) was malware (HEUR.Virus.Win32.Generic) and removed it - thus disabling my (previously working) Anti-Virus.

So, a suggestion, turn Heuristics OFF if you are running ZoneAlarm as just the firewall, and AVG for your Anti-Virus, lest you have to fix it LOL

(I wish I could reach the ZA developers and suggest that they not delete AVG's internal DLLs without seeing if AVG is your active antivirus, but, sigh.) I'll go suggest to GRISoft that they plan to recover easier when this happens LOL

Hi;

1.) since your have installed
    ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 10.2.047.000,

you will have to Uninstall AVG, because two seperate Anti-virus programs will not Co-exist on the same Computer..

Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7 add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7 add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------

2.) solution for the Deleting "Mirc" issue, At every new Mirc version be ready to add Mirc.exe to the "ignore always".

There are three levels of exclusions (exclusion by threat, exclusion by process and exclusion by on-demand scanning). The results will vary according to the exclusions you have selected. Probably a manual error in selecting the "ignore" instead of "ignore always" or the weekly scan detected (if MIRC was not UNchecked in the advance options of ZA antivirus --> "scan targets").

It Could also be that MIRC had an update and, only after weeks, the AV signature was also updated and triggered a late detection that may have been confused with the same detection. Finally, there could be a corruption of the ZA databases and the exclusion rule got erased.

Yes, manual update of ZA to move to ZA 10.2.047.000. Automatic update may not warn you of minor ZA build revisions.

To sum up: The behavior is by design. At every new Mirc version be ready to add the thread to the "ignore always".

3.) Sorry, access to Development and Live Chat Support link are not available for users of the FREE ZA Version..

4.) If you want to keep AVG, the read this Forum link..

Sticky: Received a pop-up to update to New ZA, which versions of ZA Free to download?

Sticky: Live Chat Support <= Click here
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 11th, 2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: update

Thread Information