Thread: PS/2 mouse requirement to install DataLock?

Hybrid View

gesualdo Guest

Default PS/2 mouse requirement to install DataLock?

Hi there,

I successfully installed DataLock on 3 laptops but the 4th one refused to install and gave me the following error message:
    "Desktop computers need PS/2 mouse connected
    Connect PS/2 mouse"
    This of course doesn't make any sense for several reasons:
    1) The machine is a laptop not a desktop.
    2) I successfully installed DataLock on 3 other laptops that don't have a PS/2 mouse.
    3) Why is Zonealarm marketing DataLock for laptops if it doesn't work 100%?

I had two very frustrating chat sessions with totally incompetent ZA tech support. The only support they offered was that I should buy a PS/2 adapter which is obviously totally ridiculous considering that ZA's product simply has a severe bug.

Any recommendations?

Erwin

PS: Laptop runs XP Pro SP3 all updated and in perfect shape with the newest version of ZA Extreme Security with DataLock.

Default Re: PS/2 mouse requirement to install DataLock?

Sorry all users here. We cannot address support issues just user help on common issues. You need to keep contacting ZA official support for a solution.

Probably the installer see your laptop as a desktop? Check in the settings of your laptop. Sorry no other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Sorry, I don't think there is a workaround, if official support didn't manage to resolve your issye its unlikely that anyone will here. Probably datalock does not support your laptop.

Sorry again,
    Fax

Hi;
    I agree with Guru Fax..

Here is some Aditional information I found in some of the Post by other users that may explain some issues with DATALOCK..

Hard Drive Datalock - PS2 mouse warning

Sticky: Add a drive in DataLock?
    Last edited by fax; May 21st, 2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: removing quotes to save space
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by gesualdo View Post

PS: The laptop in question is a Sony Vaio. I installed DataLock successfully on 3 Toshiba laptops and none of those has a PS/2 port...
    Desktop user.So just a suggestion.

Can I verify that ZoneAlarm Datalock is compatible with my computer?Run Compatibility Test to verify that your computer has the BIOS, motherboard and operating system that is supported by ZoneAlarm DataLock.

Under System Requirements : Test if your computer is compatible with ZoneAlarm Datalock Click to downlod Compatibility Test.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...-data-lock.htm

Frequently Asked Questions : http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m-datalock.htm

Info also in ZoneAlarm Readme under Hard Drive Encryption.

Have a nive Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; May 20th, 2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added more Info

gesualdo Guest

I ran the ZA DataLock compatibility test and it came up with the following result:
    1. Desktop computers need PS/2 mouse connected
    Unsupported mouse device interface detected: USB
    Unsupported mouse device interface detected: Other
    Connect PS/2 mouse

Again - this is a Sony Vaio laptop, not a desktop. I am simply hesitant to buy a PS/2 adapter because considering the obviously flawed installer, it simply might not work even with a PS/2 adapter...

Thanks,

Erwin

You need to keep contacting ZoneAlarm official support for a solution.Let them know you ran the Compatibility Test to verify.Maybe a flaw on the tool to test.

The bottom line.They're the only ones that can address and resolve yor issue.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by fax; May 21st, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: no need of quote if message is just above - thanks

Hi!
    did you ever connected a USB mouse to your VAIO? If yes, can you remove its presence from the system? Probably listed somewhere in the hardware configuration?

But even if you solve this then you have a second issue related to non supported mouse interface (probably the trackpad using sony proprietary drivers that are not supported by the encryption tool).

The second issue could be resolved if you will replace the vaio native trackpad drivers with standard windows 7 drivers. This will mean loosing some advanced functionality assuming windows 7 drivers will work at all with that trackpad.

Finally I also tend to beleive that an adapter USB/PS2 will not work as the encryption will most likely not recognise it (always passing via the USB first) and what you need is an actual hardware card with a PS2 exit. Do they exist at all? Not sure.

So, I am afraid the encryption in ZA simply does not supporting your VAIO laptop model and there is not much to do around it unless you want to mess around with standard drivers as suggested above.

Building support for this needs ZA development having access to VAIO laptops. All of this needs to be reported to technical support to escalate to development as wishlist for future development. Here we cannot do much about it. Sorry.

If this is a critical issue for you then I would ask for a refund, if applicable or not renewing your license at expiration and look for alternative tools.

Sorry, this is the maximum we can offer here, the rest needs to be dealt somewhere else than this user forum.

I will soon close this thread since we cannot add really more than what we already did. Feel free to PM me if you need to post updated information in case you managed to resolve the issue.

Of course, do not hesitate to open a new thread for any other ZA product related issue you may have.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; May 21st, 2012 at 08:58 AM.

Unfortunately DataLock is not 100% compatible with all laptops or desktops.

The keyboard and mouse controller in this laptop must be of a type we don't work well with.

There nothing support or ZoneAlarm in general can do for you.

We will have a new version of DataLock being released in about a month that should be more compatible with more laptops and desktops.

You can either wait for that or ask for a refund of the software.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information