Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Resolved] AV Update server issues? => was a Hardware problem

Default Re: [Solved] AV Update server issues? => clean out TEMPDIR

Hello;

So Cleaning out your TEMDIR no longer resolved the issue for you?

If Uninstall and cleaning the computer with my 6 step intructions posted in my May 29th 8pm message, then you may be correct in assuming a Hardware problem?

However it may also be possible that either some other Software or MALWARE is conflicting with ZA AV Updating..

follow all the steps as detailed here:
    Malware Clean-up Guidance <= click here

(including posting your logs at bleeping computer or spywarehammer to get your system analysed by experts)

Let us know how you have managed to resolve the issue. It will help other users with the same problem.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 5th, 2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: fix typo

Default Re: [Solved] AV Update server issues? => clean out TEMPDIR

Actually, it appears it may be my modem hardware, as I thought. For 2 weeks, I've had problems with 2 pieces of software not updating. One would return an operation timed out error. ZA returns the Error error. Plus, I've been paying attention to download speeds and what not. Files would be starting and stopping in Firefox, and the stops were of considerable length. Web pages I'd have to Stop loading and then reload to get some to load properly, like Roadrunner's home page and the ZA forums here. I called technical support and they backtracked my connection to my modem and they reported low power levels on the modem. This could be anything to needing a new cable modem to the cable line itself. I would guess that there's no problem with the ethernet card in my PC over this or a problem with the phone cord that connects the cable modem to the PC.

So, I'll have a technician be coming in on Friday, the earliest they could get someone here. I'll follow up after that. If whatever he does fixes the update problem, I'll come back and let you know if it did.

Thanks!

Smile Re: [Solved] AV Update server issues? => clean out TEMPDIR

Quote Originally Posted by dbminter View Post
    Actually, it appears it may be my modem hardware, as I thought. For 2 weeks, I've had problems with 2 pieces of software not updating. One would return an operation timed out error. ZA returns the Error error. Plus, I've been paying attention to download speeds and what not. Files would be starting and stopping in Firefox, and the stops were of considerable length. Web pages I'd have to Stop loading and then reload to get some to load properly, like Roadrunner's home page and the ZA forums here. I called technical support and they backtracked my connection to my modem and they reported low power levels on the modem. This could be anything to needing a new cable modem to the cable line itself. I would guess that there's no problem with the ethernet card in my PC over this or a problem with the phone cord that connects the cable modem to the PC.

So, I'll have a technician be coming in on Friday, the earliest they could get someone here. I'll follow up after that. If whatever he does fixes the update problem, I'll come back and let you know if it did.

Thanks!

Thank you for your Feedback..

about 6 months ago I had a simular problem with my 10 year old Time Warner Roadrunner Cable Modem, The Technicion replaced it and also replaced the cable Spliter between the TV Feed and the Cable Modem feed..
    Note: I now get 20 Mbps download speeds.

Let us know how you have managed to resolve the issue. It will help other users with the same problem.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 6th, 2012 at 05:52 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: [Solved] AV Update server issues? => may be a Hardware problem

In the summer of 2009, I had some repairs done on the box outside my house. They put a splitter or something on it, so, there could be issues with the connection to the house. Most likely it's the modem itself. It's been over 6 years since it was last replaced. Back then, my modem had become so old that just moving the mouse on the desktop caused enough vibration to the modem that it would disconnect my network connection.

Default Re: [Solved] AV Update server issues? => may be a Hardware problem

It was a hardware issue, but, it could have been any 1 or a combination of 3 problems.

The primary problem to address the low power levels was the tech replaced the power cable to the modem. The cable was labeled with a DVE on it, which he told me they had had power problems with cables marked as DVE. I also discovered that the old cable was not all the way plugged in into its socket. After putting it all the way in, the old modem allowed ZA to update without the Error error. The cable was replaced anyway. After it was replaced, my download speeds suddenly went way up. A 150 MB download that took some time before now only took about 2 minutes.

There was another probably unrelated local issue. Water had accumulated somewhere over the last weekend, causing connection problems in my area. I doubt this had anything to do with it, though, as I was having problems starting a week before that.

So, the issue appears to be resolved. It was a hardware issue. Clearing out TEMPDIR was probably a fluke that caused it to work. I was told with my low power levels that I could get a connection, but it would be slow and unreliable.

Default Re: [Resolved] AV Update server issues? => was a Hardware problem

Thank you very much for taking the time to report back.

I will Revise the title to hint to the at solution and closing this thread since the problem is resolved, you may "PM" me if you need to add more to this thread, or start a new tread for any new issue with Zone Alarm..

Thanks;
    GeorgeV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information