Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] AV Update server issues? => was a Hardware problem

Thumbs up [Resolved] AV Update server issues? => was a Hardware problem

I didn't know where to put this. I am using ZA 10 Free Firewall + AntiVirus. There isn't a forum for it that I could find and since this app uses AV and anti-spam technology, I posted it here. My apologies if it doesn't belong here.

I was wondering if there's an issue with the update server. I ask because I am also having an update issue with another piece software. It cancels out with a timeout error. I don't know what the error is in ZA. It gets to Update AntiVirus/AntiSpyware: Downloading but at always the same place, 61%, it stops and just returns the error "Error." Really helpful, I'm sorry.

I have been able to update the software within the last few days, sometime last week, before Friday. Saturday is when my updating issues have started.

If there's no issue with the update server, I need to contact my ISP. Thanks!
    Last edited by dbminter; May 29th, 2012 at 04:56 PM.

Default Re: Update server issues?

Hi;

you can check your AV Definition DAT file against the posted update at this Link..

Sticky: *** Daily AV/AS Signature Updates (May 29,2012) for XP/Vista/Win7

Note: this Post is a Volunteer effort for Comparision purposes ONLY and MAY be updated 4 to 48 times per day..
    If your signature DAT file # is equal or greater than the above posted # then your AV is updating ok...

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 10.2.047.000
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1086073536

The link you sent me said: Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1086153728 <==New

I am guessing then my definition is out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by dbminter View Post
    ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 10.2.047.000
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1086073536

The link you sent me said: Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1086153728 <==New

I am guessing then my definition is out of date.
    have you tried to Manually check for AV Updates?

1.) the ZA FREE Firewall + Antivirus Only Updates the AV once per Day, but you can check for available updates manually..

2.) all Paid Zone Alarm versions with Anti-Virus can be programed to automaticly check for AV updates every 30 minutes..

3.) with the ZA Free + AV, if you still have any remnants of another Anti-virus on your computer that may conflict with the operation of ZA Free + AV

Well, I actually have to manually check for updates. Every time the scheduled daily check runs, it always fails with the Error error. I have to open the ZA interface and choose Update Now or whatever it's called. I can't check now as ZA is stuck in an infinite loop at the update. Cancel in View Update does not stop the update.

I say always, but, I meant always since it started doing that last week.

I'm sorry that your experiencing a problem..

it may be due to a corrupted install of ZA Free + AV, or
    it could also be caused by a conflict with something else on you computer..

Try this solution for a Clean install..

Follow these instructions Below to clean your computer of the old version and any conflicting 3rd party Security programs, then install a clean new copy of the current supported version of ZA 10.1.079.000 or later version.

The instruction for a clean install are below,

1. Download the latest http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-free-antivirus-firewall.htm <== click here

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry withthe Free Ccleaner.exe
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, now reboot after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Save Settings from the old install.

Note: Let us know how you have managed to resolve the issue. It will help other users with the same problem.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 31st, 2012 at 04:26 AM.

Before I tried that, I went on a hunch and opened TEMPDIR and deleted everything in there that wasn't used by Windows or ZA, i.e. every file and folder that the system would let me delete. I restarted the PC, Windows, and ZA and tried to update again. This time, I updated ZA manually, the update completed, and I checked the AV DAT file versions About returned versus the ones that appeared on the link you sent me.

So, anyone else may want to try doing that, too, to fix any update issues. I will keep the uninstall instructions in mind in case I ever need to do it to fix an install.

Thank you for your Feedback report..

Default Can no longer update

Please refer to this closed thread:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...995#post293995

The workaround I had found no longer works. I tried the full uninstall and reinstall instructions listed in the thread, but, the software won't update. Just returns the error Error.

I'm going to try and restore my May 3rd daily image, which I know updated ZA FA + AV before and see what happens. In the meantime, can anyone provide any other help? Thanks!

Default Re: [Solved] AV Update server issues? => clean out TEMPDIR

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this thread was closed. That's why I started a separate one.

Anyway, I also incorrectly stated I was restoring the Day 3 image. It was actually Day 7. It still failed though. In fact, update failed right away. Usually it waits until 6% or 15% and then errors out.

So, if anyone can think of anything else I can try. I am beginning to think it's hardware issue, either with my ethernet card or the cable modem. It takes a good deal of time and stopping and restarting the pages for these threads to load them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information