Thread: ZA Free not remembering when checked

Baz8755 Guest

Angry ZA Free not remembering when checked

I have been using ZA for more years than I care to remember and it has always been reasonably well behaved.

However I recently upgraded to the latest version with the new GUI and I am not a happy bunny.

The main problem seems to be that when I get the pop-up asking whether to allow a program access to the internet it and I check the remember setting box it does not seem to remember the setting. Furthermore if I try and run the application in question again it will not start but will show on my task list, when it is in this state I cannot kill it using the task manager unless I close down ZA.

I have a password set for zonealarm and have allowed all users to change permissions.

I am running XP pro & Avast and this problem only started when upgrading to latest GUI.

2 programs that are good examples of the lockup are 'mp3tag' & 'Garmin WebUpdater'

Regards

Baz

Default Re: ZA Free not remembering when checked

Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> Copy to clipboard --> paste it in a reply.
    We need to know at least the exact version of ZA used to try to help.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; June 9th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Baz8755 Guest

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 10.1.101.000
    vsmon version: 10.1.101.000
    Driver version: 10.1.101.000

Ok, thanks! Assuming its a ZA issue and not the executable been changed or updated then a reset of the ZA setting should fix it.

** First check in the ZA application control that no duplicates of this/these file(s) are present. If they are, check in the detail box that version n., date of creation, file size and location are the same. If not, than the warning is correct since its linked to different files. If the details are identical or you can only see a single entry then your ZA databases may be corrupted. **

ZA databases can get corrupted for many different reasons including but not only:

- PC hangs or crash recently;
    - Forced or incomplete shutdown;
    - Conflits with other tools installed imparing the saving of settings;
    - Malware infections.

To reset the ZA settings you will need to go to Tools --> Preferences --> Push on the button "reset to defaults" --> Reboot the PC. Please note you will loose all your customised choices.

If your version gives you the possibility of backup up of the settings you may want to do so and restore after the reset. Sometime the corruption may be re-introduced during the restore. First check it works fine without restoring then try to restore the settings if you really need so.

If you have still problems then you could simple remove ZA (from XP add/remove programs) and install it again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information