Hi, I'm a long-time user of paid-for ZA and am now trying out ZA free.

I did a total removal of my previous ZA with the ZA uninstaller then ZA clean.exe tool and finally used other tools to further clean the registry and filesystem to make sure ZA Free went into a clean system.

I downloaded and installed from an offline package, zaSetup_102_047_000, MD5 183bdc736bf00280ce72e8f145f745c7 rather than the online installer. My system is 32-bit, XP-Pro and the ZA package spec is:

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 10.2.047.000
vsmon version: 10.2.047.000
Driver version: 10.2.047.000
Antivirus engine version: 8.2.11.97
Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1083919136
Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.388.0

There was the usual glitch with tool-bars and browsers when you don't want the ZA tool-bar (it gets installed even if you say you don't want it, so you just go and remove it manually from the browser afterwards).

What is very different though is that after a scheduled update occurs (every 24 hours in the free version) an EXE called 'Updater' and its child 'Notepad.exe' are then left in the process table for ever, usually disassociated from their originating parent (ZA Free). Notepad is editing a file called "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\24.tmp\updater.bat" which seems to be setting up a job to copy a ZA "install.exe" file onto itself for either 32-bit or 64-bit installs. On some occasions ZA-Tray doesn't disassociate itself from Updater.exe and then the system tray icon remains in its permanently updating graphic (a stylised '+') instead of just showing a 'Z'.

None of this seems to get in the way of ZA doing its job and it is free software after all so you can't expect perfection.