Thread: Can't add or remove hosts or IPs from zones

AdeptusMechanicus Guest

Default Can't add or remove hosts or IPs from zones

I've been using the free version of ZoneAlarm for ages...more than 5 years, I'm sure. I'm very familiar with how it should operate, and overall I couldn't be happier with its performance over the years. I'm currently running 10.1.101.000 on XP, with all windows updates. I don't run any other security or other software that would conflict with ZoneAlarm's operations.

But right now I've got a wierd problem. It's as if the list of machines & IPs in my "View Zones" list has become read-only. I can neither add or remove entries. Oh, I can go through the motions - click add, be presented with all the options you'd expect, fill out the fields, and hit ok - but if I go back into Zones - the changes have not taken place. I cannot add any of the 4 options available from the "Add>>" button, nor can I remove any entries in the list at present.

I definitely haven't gone into any of ZoneAlarm's directories on the hard drive and messed with their permissions, nor can I conceive of any program I run, or action I've taken since this incident has begun that could do so. Ditto for the registry.

I'm pretty much stumped here. Anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: Can't add or remove hosts or IPs from zones

Sounds like the ZA database are corrupted. ZA databases contains the settings governing the functioning of ZA.

ZA database can get corrupted for many different reasons including but not only:

- PC hangs or crash recently;
    - Forced or incomplete shutdown;
    - Conflits with other tools installed imparing the saving of settings;
    - Malware infections.

Granting you are not trying to remove active "network" type of entry (not possible to remove) the rest will be fixed by resetting the ZA settings or reinstalling ZA.

To reset the ZA settings you will need to go to Tools --> Preferences --> Push on the button "reset to defaults" --> Reboot the PC. You will loose all your customised choices. ZAFree does not offer a backup of the settings.

If still you have problems then you could simple remove ZA (from XP add/remove programs) and install it again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

AdeptusMechanicus Guest

Thank you very much for replying, Fax.

Shoot. I was hoping there was some sort of "secret trick" to fix this kind of thing without losing all my settings. That's several years worth of work in there. :\

I'm a little confused - my particular copy of free ZA _does_ seem to have backup and restore buttons on that dialog. I'm going to try backing up before I reset to defaults and see what happens...I'll try to post back here when I'm done.

Again, thank you very much for you suggestions.

If it works it could be fine but you cannot exclude you may restore the corrupted ones.

Let us know.

Thanks,
    Fax

noppin Guest

Hi,

at first of all: Ive had the same problems as AdeptusMechanicus has. But I solved them with faxs instructions (resetting preferences to default).

Im using ZA (free) for years and I was always happy with it.
    I think its a bug while uprading from ZA (free) to ZA + Antivirus (free) and importing the previous settings.
    I have a homenetwork with 4 PCs. 3 of them (XP and Vista) were upgrated from ZA (free) to ZA + Antivirus (free) and suddenly these problems came on these 3 PCs. Restoring a backup didnt help. The backup was corrupt, too. 1 PC is new and running a fresh OS and first installation was ZA + Antivirus (free) and its working perfect. Maybe this helps you to improve this nice software...

Hi!

yes, restoring old settings in new version can be very risky especially if you try to restore settings in different type of ZA versions (ZA to ZA + AV, ZA Extreme to ZApro, etc.) or major new releases e.g from V.9 to V.10 or from version v.10 to version 10.2.

There are deep structural changes not evident to end users that makes the restoring problematic or not possible.

As a general guidance you should always start fresh with major new releases and when moving to different ZA versions.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information