Thread: ZA free with Windows 7 64 bit what happed to Traffic Monitor?

bedford Guest

Default ZA free with Windows 7 64 bit what happed to Traffic Monitor?

Hi, I am a long time ZA free user but I am using it on Windows XP. I have never had a problem and really love ZA free and hope to continue using it. But I am considering getting a new pc and so will have Windows & 64 bit and I was not sure if the older versions that work with XP will work with Windows 7 64 bit. I did not think they did and if so what would be a good version to use with Windows 7 64 bit? I want the free firewall only and not any anti-virus or anything else. Is that still possible? As it looked like the current version included anti-virus but I thought an older version may not? Also does ZA free for Windows 7 64 bit still work and look similar to the older versions for XP? I hope so or similar as I always felt it was so clear and easy to use. Thanks in advance for any help.

bedford

Default Re: ZA free with Windows 7 64 bit

Hi!

which exact version of ZA are you using in XP? Latest versions of ZA also support XP and its not easy to answer not knowing exactly which version you use.

In any case, latest version includes similar function as previous versions. Just a different graphical user interface (if you use a ZA version prior to version 10) and more options to simplify user decisions.

You can still download the latest version of the ZAfree (firewall only) from the main website and this is still mantained and updated (we are at version 10.2.057.000). Look under "download and buy", free downloads.

The best recommandation is always the same: Try it, even on XP. Only by trying it you will understand if you like or not.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; June 22nd, 2012 at 09:04 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bedford Guest

Thanks fax for your reply. I am at work so I can't check my ZA version but I think it is much older like maybe 6.5.037 or something like that. But I am not sure.

I am not sure I understand though. Are you saying there is chance that even an old version like this could still work on Windows 7 64 bit or more likely the reverse you are referring to meaning the current ZA free may still work with XP?

From doing some research I had thought maybe something like version 9.2 was one of the first to work with Windows 7 64 bit but I may be wrong.

Thanks again.

bedford

Smile Re: ZA free with Windows 7 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by bedford View Post
    Thanks fax for your reply. I am at work so I can't check my ZA version but I think it is much older like maybe 6.5.037 or something like that. But I am not sure.

I am not sure I understand though. Are you saying there is chance that even an old version like this could still work on Windows 7 64 bit or more likely the reverse you are referring to meaning the current ZA free may still work with XP?

From doing some research I had thought maybe something like version 9.2 was one of the first to work with Windows 7 64 bit but I may be wrong.

Thanks again.

bedford

Hello,

I agree with Guru Fax,

1.) Here is a Quote from the ZoneAlarm Released History page:

ZoneAlarm version 9.2.057.000

Includes Microsoft patch for Windows 7 systems:
    • Windows 7 operating system compatibility added
    Any Versions older than Zone Alarm Ver. 10.x are no longer supported..

2.) Here is the link to the Current supported Zone Alarm Free 10.2.057.000 (Firewall Only) without the Anti-virus.

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall ver. 10.2.057.000 (with no Anti-virus)
    World's #1 Firewall
    Our 2-way firewall proactively protects against inbound and outbound attacks while making you invisible to hackers.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-download.htm <= click here

3.) here is a Post from the Helpful Hints and Links sectionof this forum that will explain some of the New Look and feel of the new design..

Sticky: "What's New with ZA 10.1.079.000" <= click here
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 21st, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by bedford View Post
    Are you saying there is chance that even an old version like this could still work on Windows 7 64 bit or more likely the reverse you are referring to meaning the current ZA free may still work with XP?
    The latter. i.e. current ZAfree is compatible with XP. If you were using version 6 then you will for sure note some differences and you will need to adapt to the new interface as 6 years and 5 or 6 major ZA releases have passed since version 6.

bedford Guest

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Just so I can be completely clear you can still install ZA free alone without anti-virus but are some other things besides the firewall now included like anti-phishing? If so can those other non-firewall items be completely turned off if I choose?

Besides getting used to a new interface which I understand does the current ZA free no longer have a "internet activity" monitor in the system tray like the old versions? Also I currently have my old version of ZA free to never update and I also never get prompted with ads to buy ZA paid edition or upgrade. Can the current ZA free be set up that way too or can those things no longer be avoided?

I also currently have my ZA free set to have a pop up whenever any program tries to access internet, including the browser. I prefer it this way as I click okay to allow browser each session but I deny everything else(usually). But I always want to see what is attempting access before allowing. I assume that the new ZA free can be set up to prompt in the same way right?

Thanks again.

bedford

Hi!

what you are requesting is all been discussed several times across the last two years you will need to review the free section and offtopic section to find the answers.

Just one example for traffic lights:
    What has happen to the traffic monitor in the notification area?

Secondly, the development of ZA went into the direction of minimizing pop-ups while maximizing security and usability. This is due to the complaints of users blocking programs and then complaining their ZA did not work. This is just the contrary as you want ZAfree to behave. This is due to two main principle: 1. If you do not trust a program you should not install it, 2. Misuse of trusted program will be notified by ZA, no need of blocking the trusted program too.

If you nevertheless need to be asked on everything then you will need to change many settings of ZA. Starting from the install in which you need to choose "custom" and UNcheck the application Autolearn feature, default at install.

Secondly you will need to follow this post to disable all automatic decisions including on system files. http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost...30&postcount=3

Then every time you get a pop-up from a program you will need to UNtick "remember this settings" in the pop-up windows.

Finally no idea how ads are managed within ZAfree. You will need to try it to see how it behaves.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information