Thread: Are These Supposed To Be Blocked?

sodapop554 Guest

Default Are These Supposed To Be Blocked?

Because of all what had been going on lately with my ZA Free Firewall, while I was scrolling through the list of its 90 secured programs I noticed something strange. There are two programs that have their trust level set to "Super" yet all incoming & outgoing options are set to be blocked.

"smss.exe" located in C:\Windows\System32\smss.exe file size 110 KB &...

"Windows Start-up Application" Located in C:\Windows\System32\wininit.exe version: 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) & it's file size is 126 KB.

If these programs are legit & at the super trusted level then why are the: Outbound Trusted, Outbound Internet, Inbound Trusted & Inbound Internet levels set to "Deny"?

It should also be noted that since I've installed this latest version of ZA free I haven't gotten any popup messages for these programs asking for internet usage. All messages that I have gotten were for other legit programs that I of course set to "Always Allow". Could this be a glitch because I have all my Zone levels set to high & my network firewall set to screen all programs?

Default Re: Are These Supposed To Be Blocked?

Hello;

You have to decide based on your needs. ZAfree offers limited firewall capability as compared to other ZA Retail products.

You may have a look at the online ZA help manual you can access via the ZA interface (help --> help). It should help understanding better what those settings means. Some of them are only useful if you use VPN others may conflict with application installed.

If you do not understand them while reading then better to leave them alone and DO NOT change any of the DEFAULT Zone Alarm Settings

*** NOTE: You posted this quote question below exactly a year ago today!!!

I want maxium security but I cannot afford the paid version
    Although I cannot afford the paid version of ZoneAlarm firewall I want to ensure I'm getting the most out of my free version. However, there are four options in the advanced settings that I do not understand. After selecting firewall then advanced options there are four labeled, "Block Trusted Zone Servers", "Block Internet Zone Servers", "Allow Outgoing DNS/DHCP in Trusted Zone on High setting" & "Allow Outgoing DNS/DHCP in Internet Zone on High setting".

What do these mean exactly, what do they allow or block? At the moment their all unchecked so I'm not sure if that's how it should be or if changing any would make my computer anymore secure. Can anyone help me answer this?
    Generally, If you Keep your Windows OS Fully Updated, and ZoneAlarm Free Firewall updated, and Anti Virus Software Updated, and practice Safe web Surfing and carefull about not clicking on Attachments to Emails.. then you should be safe..

Also, I am afraid that you want too much from the Free Firewall,

ZA cannot ensure that it is compatible with 100% of the computer hardware & Software out there.

If you are not happy with the DEFAULT ZA SETTINGS, you will probably be better off Removing Zone Alarm Free and try an alternative Free Firewall..

just use Google.com and search for "Free Firewall"

Hope this helps, I have no further solutions for you..

thank you for trying Zone Alarm Free Firewall..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 13th, 2012 at 05:10 AM.

sodapop554 Guest

Default Re: Are These Supposed To Be Blocked?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hello;

You have to decide based on your needs. ZAfree offers limited firewall capability as compared to other ZA Retail products.

Hope this helps, I have no further solutions for you..

thank you for trying Zone Alarm Free Firewall..
    Thanks this can be closed now.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 11th, 2012 at 03:02 AM.

Thread Information