Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Toolbar customisation confusion

Exclamation Security Toolbar customisation confusion

I've installed the 30 day trial of ZoneAlarm Antivirus + Firewall Pro. I thought it would be a good idea to install the browser toolbar to provide some extra browsing protection, but am a little confused about how to use it.

It has some pointless icons on it that I'd like to get rid of if possible, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and radio stations. My googling so far seems to indicate that it is possible to customise the toolbar, but I can't figure out how. Everything I read is telling me to click the "arrow" or "spanner" icons, neither of which appear on my toolbar, or to go into the toolbar's main menu (but I can't find a menu option). The ZoneAlarm icon just opens the ZoneAlarm home page and it's dropdown menu has "Homepage", "About", "FAQ", "ZoneAlarm Twitter" and "ZoneAlarm Facebook" options. About opens a window with the version number and the others are all links to various unhelpful websites. Right-clicking anything on the toolbar just gives IE9's standard toolbar options.

Is it really possible to change the contents of the toolbar? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Also, does the site check actually block dangerous websites or just give advice when you visit them? If I use IE9's InPrivate Browsing feature, the toolbar doesn't appear - am I still protected?

Thanks in advance.

ZoneAlarm with Antivirus 10.2.064.000
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security 1.5.388.0
    ZoneAlarm Security Toolbar 1.5.23.0
    Internet Explorer 9
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1

Default Re: Security Toolbar customisation confusion

Hi!

you have somehow a weird version of ZA antivirus + firewall. I am not aware of a ZAAV 10.2.064.000. Probably a beta? The latest version from new install is ZA 10.2.057.000. Are you sure about the details of your version and where did you install it from?

Back to your question: probably what you have read about the toolbar refers to version prior to 10.2. The current toolbar does not offer any customization. Sorry.

Yes, dangerous websites (red alert) are automatically blocked, Yes, web protection works even without the toolbar (private browsing). The toolbar only provides more control on web security (i.e. site check information button). Otherwise webprotection works even without the toolbar.

From version 10.2 you can remove the toolbar without the need of removing ZA altogether (windows 7 control panel, uninstall a program --> zonealarm security toolbar).

Hope this helps.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks, that's great to know the protection is still there even without the toolbar. I think I might get rid of the toolbar in that case (sorry, but I just think it looks ugly with all that stuff I don't need!) If the browsing protection works without it, does that mean it will work in other browsers such as Chrome too?

I've just checked again and I definitely have 10.2.064.000 according to help / about in ZoneAlarm. I just downloaded the trial install from the website - the file I downloaded is actually called zaAvSetupWeb_102_057_000.exe but it's only a 5MB file and it downloaded the full program during the install process.

By the way, I'll get the hang of posting in the correct forums eventually! Didn't even see this one until I'd posted. Thanks again for your help.

Interesting! Thank you (i.e. ZA 10.2.064.000). I should try myself to see if also other versions have been updated. Yes, you will only not have the "site check" option but for the rest the protection will be active even without the toolbar. No, sorry, Web protection only supports IE and firefox.

You are indeed correct, ZA servers are now dispatching build 064.

Thanks,
    Fax

After a couple of weeks of use you can safely move up your protection by setting Application control to MAX instead of Auto. You can also TURN ON most of the advance application control features (time attack, service control, etc). I would avoid turning ON "component control" not to overcharge the system.

Please remember to keep the ZA firewall trusted zone settings to "Medium" (default at install) and not to MAX. This is a common mistakes that can cause connection issues.

Antivirus updates frequency at every 30 minutes would not be a bad idea too!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

I've already turned application control to max as I don't mind the extra popups the first time I run each program. It's reassuring to know that ZoneAlarm isn't letting anything by without my permission.

By the way (and without wishing to get too off-topic!) i've just noticed that a few of the behavioral scan options are unticked by default, such as "Process is trying to access personal data or passwords". Is there a good reason they have been deselected (performance?) or can I safely tick them all?

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion on this build. Yes 10.2.64 was released over the weekend, This was to make minor option changes in the toolbar and the installer is a little bit smaller and thats all.

Very mionor and nothing you will actully see in the software itself.

We will have another build this week which should have firefox 13 compatibility.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by Ant2012 View Post
    By the way (and without wishing to get too off-topic!) i've just noticed that a few of the behavioral scan options are unticked by default, such as "Process is trying to access personal data or passwords". Is there a good reason they have been deselected (performance?) or can I safely tick them all?
    Yes, they are UNticked probably because they could generate false positives. I have them ticked and, so far, I have not seen any negative side effects.

I also have all behavioral scanning options enable.I also have not notice any issues with them enable.

Customizing behavioral scanning :

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...nter/66799.htm

Have a nice Day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information