Thread: Duplicate Name on Network

CAH Guest

Default Duplicate Name on Network

Since upgrading the free firewall to version 10.2.064.000, I have been receiving the following Windows System Error "A duplicate name exists on the network." This only occurs when this version of Zone Alarm free is installed. The duplicate name is for the same laptop, when it is installed in its docking station. In such circumstances the laptop is connected by ethernet and by wireless to the network. If either is disabled, the error message does not appear. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Default Re: Duplicate Name on Network

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    Since upgrading the free firewall to version 10.2.064.000, I have been receiving the following Windows System Error "A duplicate name exists on the network." This only occurs when this version of Zone Alarm free is installed.
    Try to install the latest ZoneAlarm Free Firewall release is 10.2.068.000 :

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...02_068_000.exe

If the new version doesn't resolve issue.I would suggest to Google ' Windows System Error duplicate name exists on the network '.You could find how to address or resolve your issue.

Sorry, Have no other suggestions to offer.Maybe other users might provide input.

Have a nice Day

ZoneAlarm would not cause this issue at all.

This is a Windows networking error and is solely from windows and has nothing to do with the new version of ZA.

Its just a coincidence your seeing an windows error like this after installing a new version of ZA.

Forum Moderator.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

markfilipak Guest

I think it may be that your wired router is also your wi-fi router and you're connecting twice to the same named device but perhaps on two subnets. You might contact the laptop's manufacturer for a driver that disables the wi-fi when the laptop is docked. Also, you might check the connection status of the two network adapters and put them in the same network (e.g., 192.168.1.x). Otherwise, if you don't get any network errors, I'd ignore it.

PS: Actually, if I think about it a little longer, they must already be on the same network. - Mark.
    Last edited by markfilipak; July 23rd, 2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added PS

Thread Information