Thread: vsmon jump in Memory usage

Default vsmon jump in Memory usage

Hi did a full uninstall + ZA Clean and have installed 10.2.74 Extreme, before uninstalling previous 10XXX checked VSMon.exe usage which was around 70mb now VSmon.exe shows 264mb and sometimes up to 400mb, surely this canít be correct nearly a 4 times increase in memory usage. Anyone have a similar issue or better any suggestions

Default Re: vsmon jump in Memory usage

What exactly the problem you are experiencing? Slow perfomance, hangs, crach, etc? What you describe can be normal... however 400MB seemstoo high unless vsmon is busy (scanning, updating the AV signature and soon after, torrent, etc).

Here it is about 100-150MB but can raise up considerably if background operation are occurring (scanning, updating, etc...) and depending on your PC usage and configuration. So, it may be by design to minimise actual cache on disk (e.g. using as much as memory available and adjusting if less).

If instead you experience problems on your system (e.g. slowdown, hangs, other problems) then best to write directly to the ZA technical support at the link in my signature (live chat link) as this type of issue can only be troubleshooted and eventually escalated by official support.

See also here:
    ZoneAlarm is using a lot of CPU or memory resources

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 13th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Canít say I have noticed performance degradation, and am wary to say something is now slower without any real evidence. My concern was the sudden jump in memory usage it just seemed an unusual increase, and certainly puts vsmon way out as the largest memory user. Interestingly (maybe) today we are ticking along at around 140Mb, still high compared to the older version but well down on 250Mb, odd.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Smile Re: vsmon jump in Memory usage

Quote Originally Posted by allgo View Post
    Can’t say I have noticed performance degradation, and am wary to say something is now slower without any real evidence. My concern was the sudden jump in memory usage it just seemed an unusual increase, and certainly puts vsmon way out as the largest memory user. Interestingly (maybe) today we are ticking along at around 140Mb, still high compared to the older version but well down on 250Mb, odd.

Thanks for the reply anyway.
    Hello;

I agree with Guru Fax,

Here is a responce by the Forum Moderator that may explain the reason for increased vsmon memory usage..

"vsmon" using 40-50% of the CPU all the time :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=78672 <=click here
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarmģ Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Just watch out for ZA AV signature updates. Vsmon will jump up and then slowly moving down (vsmon manages both the firewall and the AV). This is probably the cause. I can see this here. No impact on the system. I beleive is per design as I do not notice any side effect or problem.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information