Thread: [SOLVED] ZAFREE and Speedtest Upload Error?

Hectic4409 Guest

Default [SOLVED] ZAFREE and Speedtest Upload Error?

I just purchased a new desktop computer yesterday with Windows 7 installed. I installed Zone Alarm and Avast Free Edition as soon as the computer was setup and all preinstalled protection was removed. With both of my newly installed protection programs running at the same time and visiting Speedtest.net or my Roadrunner broadband test sites, the download test runs fine, but when it starts the upload test starts, I get a message saying "Upload test error. Upload test returned an error while trying to read the upload file". Now....if I disable Zone Alarm, BOTH tests work fine. I then re-enable Zone Alarm and have the same problem. Then I shut down Avast, and again...BOTH tests run fine until each program is enabled together again.

I have both of these programs installed on 3 other XP computers and have not had any problem with those. It's just this new computer. Everything is set the exact same way on all of them in the setting for these programs.

What could be causing this? What can I do to correct the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Upload Test Error?

Exact version of Java used? Version of ZA used? Browser used? Tried with different browser? Thanks, Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 23rd, 2012 at 11:01 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hectic4409 Guest

Java 7 update 6
    ZA 9.2.057
    Browsers - IE8 and 9 as well as Firefox 12.0 and 14.

I have tried ZA versions 10+ but had the same result. The higher versions also seemed to slow down computer and other programs. So I went back to the 9.2.

Hectic4409 Guest

Well I ran an uninstaller for ZA and re-installed the 9.2 version and everything seems to be working again like normal.

I figure...maybe... I had a corrupted file in the 10+ version I first installed, that may have been the culprit that did not get removed when I uninstalled from the add/remove programs, so it was left behind when I did my first install of the 9.2. After running the uninstall program, it must have removed that bad file.

You should also be aware that Oracle has introduced a bug in JAVA 7. If you have still problems revert to JAVA 6, that is still fully supported.
    ZoneAlarm Free and Java7 Update 1 to 6

It is never a good idea running an outdated security tool especially if it is your first line of defense. Older version may contain undisclosed vulnerabilities and provide suboptimal protection. If cant' use latest version of ZA then better to move to another free firewall but that you can keep fully up-to-date.

I am closing this thread since the issue is resolved. Do not hesitate to PM me in case you need to post additional information or open a new thread for any other ZA product related issues.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information