Thread: ...another DaemonTools issue thread

Hybrid View

Default ...another DaemonTools issue thread

Hi guys and gals,

So I've been a ZoneAlarm Firewall user for quite a number of years now, well actually since I first got a PC way back in 2001. Now I've had ZA Pro for a few seasons. Most of the time everything works safe and sound, but occasionally there's a little hiccup...which is usually easily resolved...but sometimes it poses a little more of a problem than just a reboot.

This one is a bit easy to get around, and also kinda maybe not the safest way to get around it.

OK, enough waffle.

I have DaemonTools running and want to mount an image file to a vIDE device.
    I can mount to a normal virtual drive without issues, just like in MagicISO, mount unmount all day long.

The problem is with the vIDE device. It requires something to be installed SPTD or whatnot. Well, I say yeah, reboot and after booting it still doesn't work, asking for me to re-install, reboot...I could go on forever doing this and get no where.

However, the cure seems to be to disable the ZA Web security, just switching it to off allows me to add a new vIDE device, reboot and it's there ready to support mounted image files, no problems.
    As soon as I re-engage the web security component, the vIDE device stays active, but any mounted image is unmounted and DaemonTools looses the ability to see the device, and thus cannot mount to it, or infact remove the virtual device!

So...I have a workaround. But I don't think I should be switching off web security!

Is the web security component just related to web surfing, ie when using the browser to actually go to pages? does it need to be active when a web page is known to be safe, and is just sitting idle? should it be on all the time regardless?
    Can I negate the need for the service by running my browser with incognito window?

I know ZA guys will says it's a DaemonTools issue, and something to do with the way they setup their device emulation. I've read that before, and that DT will release a version that goes about things a different way...well my version of DT is later than the proposed version where fixes would have been implemented.

So can I be safe with that service off? whilst I do what I need to with a vIDE drive? Should I avoid web browsing?

Default Re: ...another DaemonTools issue thread

To be short, you need avoiding web surfing when virtualization is OFF as the "browsing only on safe sites" is unfortunately not enough. Nowadays most infections comes from safe sites been compromised or using third party ads/banner/components been compromised.

If you have not see it, please read this:
    FYI: Daemon tools and Forcefield
    Daemon tool should have an option to disable SPTD to allow to work with ZA. If you need SPTD to run the image then you are out of option since SPTD is not compatible with ZA

An explanation is also included here: Incompatibility between Daemon Tools & Zone Alarm Extreme. You may also want to post at their forum to know for any workarounds.

Thanks,
    Fax
    P.S. If you have a version of ZA that does not include "ZA virtualization" then what you will miss with the WEB security OFF will be relatively limited (antiphishing, site check, download check) but still something you may like to have.
    Last edited by fax; August 8th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks for your quick reply.

..."browsing only on safe sites" is unfortunately not enough. Nowadays most infections comes from safe sites been compromised or using third party ads/banner/components been compromised.
    Yeah, that makes sense...bloody malicious people out there, haven't they got enough with government institutions to deal with, what's with the little guy on his home PC?

Seeing as I am running latest ZA Pro 2012 firewall only, I think it does a fair amount of useful stuff in the Web Security section, so should be left on for good reasons.

I read though you second link, and it would appear that the SPTD is something that acts very much like bad evil code, and so it would appear this and other firewalls are correct in blocking some of it...I mean I'd expect evil code to be blocked, and that's what it's doing - even though I know it isn't used in a malicious fashion....

So, is it OK to turn that web security option off if I do not fire up a browser session, or any other linked internet things (adobe browsing help, etc)?
    Seeing as no browser is employed no code can be executed though it. Just the firewall acting as a basic security gate on ports (assuming I don't already have a infection..touch wood)

Darn...hate it when there isn't an easy and working sensible get-around...

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeForkSpoon View Post
    So, is it OK to turn that web security option off if I do not fire up a browser session, or any other linked internet things (adobe browsing help, etc)? Seeing as no browser is employed no code can be executed though it. Just the firewall acting as a basic security gate on ports (assuming I don't already have a infection..touch wood)
    Yes, it will be indeed OK!

Thanks, that's good new at least.

So that's the only workaround I can find. Turn that service off and stay away from browsers or other stuff that 'browses' or creates a similar open session.

At least it works for me, some folks have been even unluckier and can't get anything to work without uninstalling stuff - no thanks, I only uninstall AV/Firewall when I've yanked the RJ45 or power lead out of the modem!

Cheers Fax, timely and helpful information

You're welcome!

Thread Information