Thread: No internet connection after Extreme Security installation

candifitz Guest

Question No internet connection after Extreme Security installation

I am running XP. I previously had zonealarm and it expired. I wanted to install fresh so uninstalled the expired version. Yesterday I bought and downloaded Zonealarm Extreme Security. After reboot, network connection said I was connected to my internet wireless hotspot. However, I could not get on the internet using either IE or Firefox.

I connected to the internet with my mac and tried to use the livechat for tech support, but it would not work. I applied for access to this user forum, but after waiting 4 hours and not recieving access, I called the only number I could find for zonealarm (sales and refunds number) and spoke with someone (who was not a nice person and hung up on me) who basically told me to uninstall the product and then contact tech support through live chat because there is no phone suppport for the product except for $2.99 per minute.

So last night, I uninstalled the product and my internet connection works fine. I also ran the clean.exe.

I now need to re-download Extreme Security and re-install. I am on a limited data usage plan so want to ensure it is going to work correctly this time.

I tried using the livechat tech support as the (not nice) salesperson advised, but it does not work from my PC either.

So I am turing to the community here. Does anyone have any tips to prevent the problem I experienced of no internet connection after installation and reboot? Or any other problems I might encounter.

thank you for your help!

Smile Re: No internet connection after Extreme Security installation

Hello candifitz;

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software and what type and Version of Zone Alarm that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version, any other security tools installed.

also is this aDeskTop, Laptop computer or Netbook,

what kind of Connection to the Internet do you have?

Please List any other Security Programs installed as these programs may be conflicting with Zone Alarm.

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

1.) it sounds like you may have some software or Malware on your computer that is Conflicting with Zone Alarm and also Blocking your connection to Live Chat..

2.) read this Forum link to resolve your Live Chat problem..

Sticky: Can't get to Zone Alarm Tech Support Live Chat <= click Here

3.) Sticky: Malware Clean-up Guidance <== click here

4.) Download ZA Extreme 10.2.074.000 from here

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...download-b.htm
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 22nd, 2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: updated
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: No internet connection after Extreme Security installation

Hi!

On top of what suggested and considering that you seems not happy with the support given I would personally contact ZA customer support and ask for a refund before its too late! So, have a quick troubleshooting for abvious problems (other running/installed security tools, corrupted windows firewall, malware) and then move directly to refund.

Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 22nd, 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Smile Re: No internet connection after Extreme Security installation

I agree with Guru Fax,

If your not happy with the Product or Support, you have 30 days from date of Purchase to ask for a Refund..

ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security 2012- 30 day free trial
    GeorgeV

candifitz Guest

Unhappy Re: No internet connection after Extreme Security installation

GeorgeV -
    I am using a Lenovo T60 Thinkpad. Windows XP.
    All software and drivers up to date.
    Connecting to the internet with a Verizon wifi hotspot.
    I am not running any kind of security other than the windows firewall that is on right now.

The live chat does not work using IE8 or Firefox on my Lenovo laptop. It does not work on IE8 even if I start the browser without addons.
    The live chat does not work using Safari on my Macbook laptop.
    On all browsers, the browser cannot load the page. Maybe zonealarm did not pay their bill? or the link is broken?

As for your suggestion on malware cleanup - guidance... I would certainly try that if i can get zonealarm to work, remember i have had to uninstall it to get back on the internet and must now re-download and re-install.

Fax - love your avatar
    I will certainly ask for a refund if i cannot get it to work. I have always been happy with how the zonealarm product works, but the tech support always sucks. I have had problems in the past (the product stopped updating etc) and have dealt with tech support chat before. I can imagine that lay people with no computer experience really have problems. I would not recommend this product for most people.

WHAT I THINK WAS THE PROBLEM... that I uninstalled the expired ZA Extreme Security software but did not know I needed to run the clean.exe (would be nice if they suggested that in the instructions) and leftovers from the previous zonealarm affected the install. Even though I had uninstalled the expired software, when I installed the new i was prompted to renew despite the control panel saying protection would be active for 365 days. When I tried to enter the new license key, it would not take it.

I am going to re-download and install the product again now and will let you know if it works. otherwise I will have to get a refund and use something like Kaspersky or Malwarebytes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by candifitz View Post
    GeorgeV -
    I am using a Lenovo T60 Thinkpad. Windows XP.
    All software and drivers up to date.
    Connecting to the internet with a Verizon wifi hotspot.
    I am not running any kind of security other than the windows firewall that is on right now.

The live chat does not work using IE8 or Firefox on my Lenovo laptop. It does not work on IE8 even if I start the browser without addons.
    The live chat does not work using Safari on my Macbook laptop.
    On all browsers, the browser cannot load the page.

Maybe zonealarm did not pay their bill? or the link is broken?

I am going to re-download and install the product again now and will let you know if it works. otherwise I will have to get a refund and use something like Kaspersky or Malwarebytes instead.
    Sorry, The problem is on your end, not Checkpoint..
    I connected to the Live Chat link from three different computers with no problem.

============Here is what Live Chart Support for Paid versions of Zone Alarm looks like: =============

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/za/suppor...at/Prechat.gif
    Welcome to ZoneAlarm 24x7 Live Chat
    To help us serve you better, please provide some information before we begin your chat.

Which department would you like to chat with?*
    Select One
    Non-Technical Help
    Technical Support
    Full Name:*
    Email Address:*
    Select a product:*
    Select One
    Extreme Security
    Internet Security Suite
    DataLock
    SocialGuard
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    ZoneAlarm Antivirus
    Z100G Wireless Router
    3rd Party Product
    =================

I'm sorry that your still having a conflict installing Zone Alarm or contacting Livechat support..

It looks like Malware or a Trojan on your computer is Blocking your access to Live Chat..

Follow the Instruction in this Forum Link will help your clean any Malware..

Sticky: Malware Clean-up Guidance <== click here

I just tried Live Chat and it is ONline and working..

Screen Shot below
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/picture....&pictureid=145
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 27th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
    GeorgeV

I can load the page even with the browser of an IPAD. There should not be any problem with any browser, even safari. Considering you have issues with different computers I would exclude an issue with your "hosts" file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and point more to the Verizon WIFI hotspot that is blocking the site. This could be due to incompatibility with the 3G(?) hardware, the software used to manage it and latest ZA. This happens normally if you let the proprietary software to manage the connection instead of the windows wireless zero configuration. If you can only install the main drivers and not the software and let XP managing the wireless connection then your chance to run ZA should be higher.

Regardless of the source of the problem and if your ZA will finally work, not having access to ZA support means no support on the product that you have paid for. This means that if there are problems you are left alone with them. Not good!

Best to move to another paid solution for which you can use the service you have paid for
    Last edited by fax; August 23rd, 2012 at 09:23 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information