I had a similar problem to Alan with ZoneAlarm Extreme Security last week:
- Security Update Overdue popups.
- "Update Error" when I attempted to update.
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
- ZoneAlarm Extreme Security - no other antivirus/firewall programs installed
I followed GeorgeV's instructions to the letter and it fixed the problem. It took about 2.5 hours from problem discovery to problem fixed, but I'm grateful these forums are here. I wouldn't have been so quick to do a complete uninstall/clean/install without the advice.
Afterwards, I discovered what I believe caused the problem: a little program called NetLimiter. It was doing a great job of limiting the bandwidth use of background programs on my computers, but when I installed the latest NetLimiter update on a 2nd computer and the same ZoneAlarm problem started, the penny dropped. Everything seemed to be living in harmony once I reinstalled ZoneAlarm, but I didn't want to take any chances - I've uninstalled NetLimiter.
** Forum-Moderator: I uploaded the diagnostic tool logs on the 18th of August - 1:30pm Eastern Australia Time (+10h GMT). I used a different email address in the log report (sorry). If you contact me privately, I can give you more details. **