Thread: Internet Cxn Sharing working, but only with *Medium* public

Default Internet Cxn Sharing working, but only with *Medium* public

Hi folks,

OK, so I spent 2 whole days (late into the evening on both) and a morning trying to set up internet sharing from my desktop to create a WiFi Access Point for our netbook to use.

The hookup is as follows:
    Cable broadband > ISP's Cable Modem > Ethernet RJ45 > Desktop PC Ethernet > MS ICS / Realtek AP software > Desktop PC WiFi (in AP mode) > Netbook WiFi.

Ok, well eventually I got it working this morning, but I had to drop the Public Zone Advanced Firewall setting to Medium.

I have ZA Pro 10, and looked for other settings to change that would allow the ICS connection, but wouldn't compromise anything else, but I didn't find anything.

So, I would normally be using High level firewall on Public, but this simply kills the internet access on the netbook (it still see's the network however).

So does anyone know what settings I would have to change on the high setting to allow the connection to work, without compromising my Desktop PC security?

Desktop = WinXP Home
    Netbook = Win7 Starter
    netbook sees the network as public level - didn't change it to home or office.

Cheers for any help on this.

Default Re: Internet Cxn Sharing working, but only with *Medium* public

Hi!

ICS support was remove in ZA sometime ago. So, I am not sure you can achieve what you aim for with ZA.

I am not a network expert at all but: have you set as your LAN as trusted in ZA (ZA firewall zones)? Is the settings of ZA trusted Zone at MEDIUM and not HIGH?

To be linear to be above the LAN in the netbook should be set as home or office and not as internet. The internet facing computer is the desktop not the netbook.

No other suggestions from my side.

Sorry,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I found your post here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=78510

Looks like this has sort of been addressed before - it ain't supported, go buy a router.

However, in reply to your questions,
    Yes, the 192.168.0.1 WiFi network was put into Trusted zone at Medium setting. This just served to allow the Netbook to see another computer.

However, it made no difference how I assigned the network on the netbook side, Home, Work or Public in regards to connecting to the internet. It would simply show a cross through the internet line, and say No Internet Available.
    That said, in Home and with a few options turned on (network discovery, file and print sharing etc) I could see the shared files folder on the Desktop PC. Couldn't do it the other way though, but don't need that network service.

I most definitely have to drop Public Zone to medium to allow the internet connection to be available to the netbook.

I did configure ZA advanced settings for public - well I ticked all of the Medium boxes that said block something. The only ones that aren't ticked are:
    Block Incoming / Outgoing UDP Ports
    Block Incoming / Outgoing TCP Ports
    And that is only because I don't know what ports to block.

It works fine with all those ticked.
    It would appear the main difference I could find between medium and high setting was that in high the connection is in stealth mode, and file/print sharing is off.
    I turned off File/Print sharing in both of the network connection devices, so I guess thats sort of curing that.

Thanks for your help anyway. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet (and take a wattage hit) by sticking a WiFi router on the cable modem. I should be able to enable MAC filtering with that setup also, which I cannot do in the current state.
    Another benefit to that may be that I dont have to disable/enable the Wireless Network Adaptor if the netbook WiFi device is turned off.

Cheers Fax

Thanks, actually the key setting to look for is the ZA firewall zones that you have not commented about. For example, if you set the LAN in the netbook to "internet" in windows 7 than automatically ZA will set the LAN to internet (wrong). So you may want to ensure that your LAN is set as TRUSTED in the ZA firewall zones for all PCs in which ZA is installed this will allow full access of PC to the LAN.

But as you citing, ZA does not support ICS. Then: End of story. You can indeed buy a 20$ router and you will have it done in a much more secure and clean way.

Sorry,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 6th, 2012 at 09:04 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I probably forgot to mention, I have Win7 starter own firewall and MS Secuirty Essentials installed on the netbook.

I hear what you are saying with reference to the WiFi LAN, need to have both Desktop and Netbook talking over a trusted network. If one thinks the other isn't perhaps it'll all go and shut down.

It's setup as a WiFi AP from the desktop side (now with WPA2-PSK encryption), and the netbook taps onto that, seeing a "Residential Gateway Device" instead of my Desktop.

Netbook Win7 setup: Home, Workgroup or Public.
    Desktop WinXP ZA setup: Public - High, Trusted - Off/Medium.

Netbook (name) -------- Desktop (name) ---- X ---- Internet

=================================================

Netbook Win7 setup: Home, Workgroup or Public.
    Desktop WinXP ZA setup: Public - Medium, Trusted - Off/Medium.

Netbook (name) -------- Wireless Network name ----------- Internet

Either way I can't see the printer or files now, only that residential gateway device. The Desktop is definitely hidden from the Netbook, like you indicate. It doesn't see a Desktop PC, it sees a WiFi (router point if you like) and Internet.

Funny, I had file and print sharing working before, but that was probably with some kinda Ad-Hoc setup.

Yeah, probably no point smashing our heads into a wall over this one. I honestly missed the earlier post, before posting myself, otherwise I probably wouldn't have started another thread. I'll just jack the security up for most of the time, and look about for a low consumption cheap WiFi router...not the one my ISP is trying to sell.

Cheers for the perseverance Fax

Thread Information