Thread: Issue with stanby mode since installing Zonealarm

navagator Guest

Default Issue with stanby mode since installing Zonealarm

My computer will no longer go into standby mode automatically since installing ZoneAlarm, I have to do it manually.

If I shut down ZoneAlarm, standby works fine.

I did notice that ZoneAlarm is connecting to the internet very frequently, could this be causing the standby timer to reset???

I there any way to fix what ever is causing this issue?

Thank you for your assistance.

My operating system is WindowsXP.

Default Re: Issue with stanby mode since installing Zonealarm

Hi!

right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy to clipboard --> paste it here.

You should clearly explain if you have modified any default settings. The exact version of XP used. Other security tools installed. Is the stanby managed by XP (microsoft) or done by a third party software. If it does this always? Since when you have installed it? Only noticed one day, two days, etc...?

More information you provide more likely other users here will be able to help.

ZA does not block the standby so it may have been a coincidence. Double check the settings for standby in the system.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Smile Re: Issue with stanby mode since installing Zonealarm

Hello;

I agree with Guru Fax;;

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software and what type and Version of Zone Alarm that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Whenever posting here, it is always advisable to list Full details of your Computer:

Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version, any other security tools installed.

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

any Error messages in the ZA logs?
    and what are the steps you took to reproduce the problem.

also is this a DeskTop, Laptop computer or Netbook;

what kind of Connection to the Internet do you have?

Please List any other Security Programs installed as these programs may be conflicting with Zone Alarm.

navagator Guest

Hello

I have: Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 10.2.078.000
    Vsmon version: 10.2.078.000
    Driver version: 10.2.078.000
    Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.395.0

FireFox 14.0.1

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

My computer has not went into standby since installing ZoneAlarm, aside from doing it manually. I have it set to go into standby withing 15 minutes of inactivity through the Windows power management controls.

However, I did notice that if I set the monitor to shut down/standby by itself within a specific amount of time, while ZoneAlarm is running, it will.

If I shut ZoneAlarm down my computer will enter standby automatically after 15 minutes as it should.

Another problem that I noticed is that I can't manually update ZoneAlarm. When I try to, a ZoneAlarm update window comes up and it appears to be updating, showing that it has finished the update with an update progress bar that shows 100% done. However it shows a red box with an x in it under the update progress bar that says "Product update: Error".

That's about all I can think of.

Sorry I wasn't more detailed in my earlier post.

Thank you.

Hi!
    Having a standby mode on 15 minutes is rather unusual, so I guess not a common scenario. On top, I am not clear on the difference between the method that does not work and the one that works (looks the same). If you are running ZAfree you have only products updates not antivirus right? Which security software are you running? There may be incompatibility between the two?

Have you changed any settings in ZA? Application control? Others?

Have you tried to boot the PC only running ZA and see if you have the same problem? You need to do this only when you are sure ZA settings are all on defaults (clean install, no configuration loaded)

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except zatray and forcefield
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work? Still problems?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

Sorry no other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Fax

Hi!
    Having a standby mode on 15 minutes is rather unusual, so I guess not a common scenario. If you are running ZAfree you have only products updates not antivirus right? Which security software are you running? There may be incompatibility between the two especially if the other is a security suite or contains a firewall (even if disabled).

Have you changed any settings in ZA? Application control? Others?

Have you tried to boot the PC only running ZA and see if you have the same problem? You need to do this only when you are sure ZA settings are all on defaults (clean install, no configuration loaded)

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except zatray and forcefield
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work? Still problems?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

Sorry no other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Fax

navagator Guest

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

As far as I can tell I only have the free firewall. When I open up the ZoneAlarm monitor the Antivirus option is grayed out and has an "install" button, Firewall and Identity & Data protection are enabled. The only other security software I have installed is AVG Antivirus Free Edition 2012 (version 2012.0.2197) which I forgot to mention in my earlier post.

I haven't changed any settings in ZA aside from disabling the auto update feature in hopes that it would correct the problem, however it didn't so I reenabled it.

I went ahead and followed your instructions and unchecked everything in the startup and services menus aside from zatray and forcefield and restarted. After the computer loaded I went into Windows power management and set the computer to go into standby in 3 minutes rather than 15 to save time. Then I waited. Unfortunately my computer never went into standby.

I did noticed that the small computer icon in my taskbar that shows internet connection/activity was still blinking every so often just as it did before. If everything in startup and services is set not to load (aside from ZA) should there be frequent internet activity?

With my original configuration before unchecking all the startup and services items, if I simply exited ZA by right clicking on the ZA icon in the taskbar and selecting exit the small computer icon in my taskbar quit blinking and standby worked properly.

I also forgot to mention earlier that my internet connection is via a cable modem.

Thanks again.

Yes, it can be normal to have internet activity like you describe. The PC is running will all Microsoft components in place. Icon in the task bar signing activity? Is this from which software? Should not be there in normal windows installations. Is this a laptop? Netbook?

What happens if you move it from 15 minutes to, for example, 40 minutes? Have a try.

Also check carefully the ZA logs for anything that is blocked (tools --> preferences --> Logs --> firewall/application/osfirewall...) or any activity at the time which the PC should go in standby.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information