Thread: Blank entries in component control list

Default Blank entries in component control list

Hi there.

I enabled Component Control a couple of weeks ago and left Application Control set at Auto so that ZoneAlarm would collect a list of my normally-used components before I changed it to Max security. To clarify, I went to Computer → Application Control → Settings → Advanced Settings → Application Control. Then I ticked the box ďEnable Component ControlĒ.

Today I went into the same area and clicked on the View Components tab. ZoneAlarm has definitely been collecting a list of components, but more than half the list is blank! When sorting by component name, the first ~370 entries have no name or description. The Access setting for all of these is a red ďXĒ (which is good), but why are all these entries there at all? Any ideas?

Iím guessing that perhaps itís because of program upgrades and that these rows represent components that used to be on my computer but donít exist anymore. The more paranoid part of my persona wonders if itís some sort of rootkit or botnet thatís masking itís identity so that I canít detect or remove itÖ

On a related point (perhaps better directed to the developers than the forums):
    I tried removing these blank entries from the components list, but unlike the View Programs tab you canít select multiple entries on the components list and remove them all at once. You canít even just keep clicking on the ďRemoveĒ button once for each list item because clicking on the Remove button takes the focus off the list. To remove multiple items, you actually have to click on each individual row, click Remove, then click the next row, click Remove, etc, etc. Thatís a lot of mouse moves & clicks!

My relevant info (feel free to ask for more):
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.2.074.000
    Vsmon version: 10.2.074.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.2.11.97
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1093632000
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4973
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.395.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.2.104.0

Default Re: Blank entries in component control list

Hi!

I guess the best is to report directly to official support. May be issue with incorrect saving of applications and settings or an issue with ZA.

I normally don't use this option, so I would not be able to help. You can activate the other advance features but this can create an excessive overcharge to the system and likely many pop-ups as soon as you move the application control to MAX. More relevant are the other settings (e.g. time attack, advance application interaction, etc.)

You should remove the blank entries and see if they will come back. If yes, and you have not removed or reinstalled programs, then report to support. They may or may not need to collect logs.

What you could also do, first of all, is to do a fresh install of the latest version 10.2.078.000 (FIRST remove ZA from win7 "uninstall a program" and install the latest). Looking for the latest version?

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 15th, 2012 at 01:17 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information