Thread: Why can't I install ZA Free + AV on DELL Studio XPS 9100 w/Windows 7 & McAfee SC

Default Why can't I install ZA Free + AV on DELL Studio XPS 9100 w/Windows 7 & McAfee SC

I have an XPS Studio 9100 that will run both 32bit and 64bit programs. During the installation of ZA Free Antivirus+Firewall, it shows the program folder the program will be installed in. In this case it wants to install it in the (x86) 32bit folder. I don't use anything in 32bit and when I attempt to install it in the 64bit Program Files folder, I get a popup that says it can't be done...... anyone know why? The system requirements for the program say it's for both 32 & 64bit systems. Is there a way around this?

Any help is appreciated..... Kiteman

Default Re: Why can't I install ZA Free + AV on DELL Studio XPS 9100 w/Windows 7 & McAfee SC

Hello;

DELL Computers as well as many other Brands of Computer PC Desktops come with Trial copies of 3rd Party Security Programs like McAfee Security Center program that must first be Uninstalled and Removed BEFORE Installing Zone Alarm Firewall + Anti-Virus..

1.) As a General Rule to avoid Conflict you should Only run one Firewall and one Anti-Virus on the same computer..

2.) Find cause of the conflict with ZoneAlarm

Try to find the culprit of the conflict by selectively boot your system. First try only ZA and Windows services and then slowly put back the unchecked items (first services and then startup items).

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box (or search box in VISTA/Win7) and click OK (ENTER in VISTA/Win7)
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work Now?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 26th, 2012 at 04:02 PM.

Default Re: Why can't I install ZA Free + AV on DELL Studio XPS 9100 w/Windows 7 & McAfee SC

Remove all 3rd party antivirus and security software.

To remove McAfee antivirus and security products:

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...all/step-1.htm

Note :

This is by design.Zone Alarm is Windows 7 32/64bit Compatible. Zone Alarm will Install on Windows 7 64-Bit OS, it will run in 32-Bit mode.

Firefox 15.0.1
    Win 7/64
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.2.078.000

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; September 27th, 2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: 32/64bit Compatible

Thanks for the response....... I do not have any McAfee or any other 3rd. party installed on that computer..... it was removed the day I turned it on.

From what I understand now, I'm stuck with having to run the ZA in a 32bit browser? Is this also true with the paid version?

I don't think ZA will have any problem with 64bit browsers (compatible only with IE and FF). Did you tried it?
    ZA should be fully compatible with 64bit OS (VISTA/WIN7)

Main core drivers are 64bit native (otherwise it would not work on the system) but not all components (e.g. GUI).
    This is the same in all ZA versions.

Sorry,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 27th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks guys for the info....... guess I'll just have to live with it for now.

This thread can be considered solved

You're welcome!
    Closing this thread since the issue is resolved.

Thread Information