Thread: Unable to connect to update server

Scott 101 Guest

Default Unable to connect to update server

For the last week, I have been getting a pop-up screen at the lower right-hand corner of my monitor that says Zone Alarm Anti Spyware files need updating. When I click on up now, I get another small screen titled “Update Progress”. I immediately get a full green bar in progress area of the screen and it says “Task Finished“ above the progress bar. However, below the bar I get a massage that says “Anti-virus/anti-spyware: Error: Unable to connect to update server.” The last apparently good update was September 13, 2012. Just today the red shield with an X inside showed up on the tack bar. I am running Windows XP SP3 and Zone Alarm is as follows:

ZoneAlarm Anti-virus version:9.3.037.000
    TrueVector version:9.3.037.000
    Driver version:9.1.522.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1093505472

I have tried to upgrade Zone Alarm, but every time I do, I loose internet connectivity. Is there any fix that will allow my upgrades to continue?

Default Re: Unable to connect to update server

Quote Originally Posted by Scott 101 View Post
    I loose internet connectivity. Is there any fix that will allow my upgrades to continue?
    First you need to remove ZA frm XP add/remove programs then you need to turn ON windows firewall and ensure its currently working. Then only after the above install the new version. When prompted set the network as trusted.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Scott 101 Guest

OK, removed program as directed. Several attempts to Zone Alarm failed, then third try finally worked. Installed program, restarted system and set network as trusted zone. When I compare my Zone Alarm stats which I previously posted above, all are the same except the last line, the DAT file, which is now version: 1025019328.

I tried to update the "Update Now" button on the Zone Alarm control panel and I got the same error as before, update server not found. I have not gotten the message saying my anti-virus file is out of date yet. Any suggestions why I can not make connection with the update server?

Well, the fact that you are having issue to even installing ZA points to some issue on your system. I am afraid the only safe/sure solution is to reinstall the system and start clean. I guess this is not an option.

Otherwise you should try to clean your system and registry with the help of someone. Including removing any security tools you use as well as left overs.

For the rest, I would only suggest not to stick to ZA 9 as it outdated and may provide suboptimal protection.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information