Thread: Why did my Privacy Site List disappear and how to get it back

Default Why did my Privacy Site List disappear and how to get it back

I have used ZoneAlarm many years (albeit a rather old version) and have built up a Privacy Site List that today suddenly was gone (I have never experienced this before now). I have seen no other indication of that anything was wrong. How and why did this happen, and how could I get them back? Could I e.g. copy from another installation or a backup somehow?

Could my ZoneAlarm (and thus computer) be under attack?

Thanks for any help.

Wilbour

Default Re: Why did my Privacy Site List disappear and how to get it back

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbour View Post
    I have used ZoneAlarm many years (albeit a rather old version) and have built up a Privacy Site List that today suddenly was gone (I have never experienced this before now). I have seen no other indication of that anything was wrong. How and why did this happen, and how could I get them back? Could I e.g. copy from another installation or a backup somehow?

Could my ZoneAlarm (and thus computer) be under attack?

Thanks for any help.

Wilbour

Hello;
    It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> About --> Copy to Clipboard --> Paste in a reply here. Mind to remove the license key (if applicable).

Exact version of OS used? XP SP?, Windows 7 SP?. Windows 8?8.1? localized version? English version?
    Other security programs installed on the PC? Laptop? Netbook?

Since when you are experiencing the problem? Did ZA ever worked correctly?

More information you post more likely other users here will be able to help and suggest potential remedial actions.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi GeorgeV,

Thanks for your reply. To answer your questions:

Windows XP Professional SP3, English version. Laptop Acer Travelmate 6292.
    Other security SW Avira Antivir free virus protection.

ZoneAlarm and Antivir have co-existed many years without any problems I am aware of. Some time yesterday, the Privacy Site List suddenly was gone (I have never experienced this before now).

From the about box:
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3205

Thanks
    Wilbour

I should add that, in addition to the emptied Privacy Site List, on the Main-tab, all protection had been turned off (Cookie Control, Ad Blocking and Mobile Code Control). It almost appears to be as someone broken in to show they could.

I should also mention that my router (D-Link DIR-855) has a firewall (SPI) and NAT. It also has MAC Address Filter (Network Filter) and WPA2.

Thanks
    Wilbour

Hello;

Thank you for the additional Information on your Computer setup and Software..

OMG!!! You are using ZA Pro ver.7.0? You are more than a couple of years late in updates...

Sorry, support for the Privacy section your use to was REMOVED many years ago and replaced with Parental Control.

We are at version 12... probably soon at version 13.

NOTICE: There is no loner any Support for out of Date versions of Zone Alarm older than version 12.

Full remove ZA PRO v7.0 using Windows XP Remove a Program.
    and then Download and install the latest version ZA PRO (ONLY) and NOT ZA PRO + Antivirus as it will conflict with your AVIRA AV.

Link to download on top of this Forum board (yellow banner).

Running an old security tool is like running no Security tool at all

SORRY! But you may need to PURCHASE a NEW ZA PRO license KEY, as the old Version 7.0 Key format has changed and not Compatible with Version 8.0 and later ZA versions..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 4th, 2014 at 04:22 AM. Reason: fix typos
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

First of all welcome to the forum. Secondly, we are all users here no ZA support.

Sorry ZA 7 is a very old version and it is not anymore supported. More recent versions of ZA do not come with Privacy Site list. This feature will never come back.

See here:
    I have upgraded to ZoneAlarm 2010 (version 9) and I no longer have my ad-blocker, cookie blocker or Privacy Controls.

Also note that depending on the D-LINK 855 used it may be end of life since April 2012. Non supported D-Link can be subject to hacking.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...cious-changes/

and

http://packetstormsecurity.com/files...ot-Access.html

You will need to update your ZA (if you have a valid license) or choose something else if you are not happy with the privacy list not there anymore.

Finally note that for security reasons you will need to think to look for a supported router and update your XP as it will not be supported by Microsoft from next week.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; March 4th, 2014 at 08:38 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Hi Fax,

Thanks for your response. Yes, my ZA is old, but appears to have done the job well in blocking attacks (based on its reports).

The Privacy tab includes a switch for preventing websites from running code, which is good, but sites you wish to use often require that they can do just that, i.e. running code (even downloading of pdf files). The Privacy Site List was there to allow the user to allow only selected websites to run code. If the Privacy Site List is gone, it must also mean that all sites would be allowed to run code without the user being able to do something about it. How could that be a good thing?

Could you explain what my old version of ZoneAlarm does not do well anymore?
    I doubt that DIR 855 is completely out of support, as the latest Firmware update was as late as 2013-06-18. I will double check with their Support. I am also preparing for swapping to Windows 7.

I had hoped somebody would have an explanation for why the Privacy setup was suddenly corrupted.

Thanks again for you help.

Best regards

Wilbour

The problem is that the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" does not work with security tools. These tools are your first line of defense, if they are not updated they are unlikely to be able to protect you sufficiently.

Malware and viruses have evolved very much since version ZA 7 (a 7 years old version). You simply are using a version that will not be able to protect you optimally. Also consider that it may be affected by undisclosed vulnerabilities that are normally fixed in later versions.

So, not at all a good idea to keep using it. If you don't want to use more recent versions best you remove ZA and use another solution but that you can keep fully up-to-date. We cannot certainly here suggested fixes for a ZA version that is way beyond its EOL status. Sorry.

For cookies control or ads blocking you can use directly the browser add-ons you don't need a security tool for that. Plenty of options out there (e.g. adblock, noscript, etc). As soon as you will move to an updated OS more options will open up for you too.

Yes, there are different versions of the DIR-855 luckily your seems more recent. But watch out for router vulnerabilities as this is a recent trend in malware (i.e. going to the source with the benefit of being able to hijack all the systems attached to it).

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; March 4th, 2014 at 11:24 PM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information