Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Download issue with latest ZA

Bran Guest

Default Re: Download issue with latest ZA

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Download protection is part of the identity web protection. Since, you do not like it, you can turn it OFF. This does not turn off your ZA firewall or ZA application control. You want the full protection including antiphishing and web protection? Then you need to turn it back ON.

Also, ZAfree firewall does not come with an antivirus (unless you are using the ZAFree antivirus). Threfore, to protect from viruses and malware you need to run an antivirus. If you do not have an antivirus you can download, free of charge, the ZAfree antivirus from http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...tall-steps.htm (you will need to first remove your current ZAfree version to install ZAfree antivirus)

Thanks,
    Fax
    That's the point, i do want all that, lol i just don't want the ZA download manager. Surely there must be a way of getting all that and just switching off the download manager? Afterall, that was the case in a previous version. Should i attempt to install a slightly older version again? See if that works? I'm slightly against uninstalling and reinstalling as i have done so a number of times in the last few days trying to configure different settings to get rid of this issue.

I'm not entirely sure i understand all the features of a firewall (and again sorry if the following is not the case!), but if web protection is a feature that protects me from getting malicious things from sites that contain them, then i no doubt want that on.

Thanks again for the help!

Hi!

Sorry, I don't think there is a way to turn off only the download alone. And going to an old version is normally not a good move as you want to run always the latest version that may have improved protection and closed potential vulnerability of older versions. Golden rule of security: keep your first line of defense always updated. If you cannot then better to move to another product that you can keep up-to-date.

There may be some confusion about web protection. The ZA web protection only warns you on suspicious sites and phishing sites it may or may not prevent getting malicous content on your system (download protection actually could). The firewall part will take care of unsolicited inbound connections (internet --> PC) and the application control will take care of outbound unsolicited connections (PC --> Internet) . It should be combined with a proper antivirus protection as it is not a replacement for an antivirus at all (unless you run the ZAfree with the antivirus).

Thanks,
    Last edited by fax; October 2nd, 2012 at 03:33 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

npFFApi

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost...06&postcount=3

Sorry, Don't know how they interact or integrated with each other.This is what they do.

Some versions of ZoneAlarm security software include OSFirewall protection, which detects when programs try to use your operating system to perform suspicious actions on your computer.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in..._overview.html

Behavioral scanning detects new malware that is not yet tracked by anti-virus databases. For example, it can detect a process attempting to install a driver to gain access to your operating system. It can also detect rootkit-like behaviors that would set up access for hackers.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...nter/66799.htm

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; October 3rd, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added Info

Smile Re: Download issue with latest ZA

Quote Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post
    Guess I'll have to contact tech support because the check downloads option does not function properly when DISabled. We should be able to untick that option and still leave the Firefox extension enabled to have anti-phishing still working. And knowing what OS Firewall and Behavioral Scanning are doesn't fix the fact that disabling OSF also disables Behavioral, when it shouldn't because they are two completely different things/protections.

Hello d34dl1n3r;

Remember there is No Free Tech Support for the FREE version of ZA

Technical Support Live Chat (for Paid Versions Only)
    Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

Valid ZoneAlarm License Key Required when contacting Tech Support Live Chat..

How do I get support for the Free ZoneAlarm product.
    Posted by Moderator on 26 May 2011 05:16 PM

Solution:

You can use the Technical Support Page Self Help Section,
    and search our Knowledge Base for the solution to your issue.

or the ZA User Forum ZoneAlarm Free Firewall <== Click Here

Technical Support Self Help Section

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-firewall.htm <== Click Here
    Note:

As a matter of Courtesy and to provide the Best solution to each Users problem in this Forum,
    the Guideline Rules, ask each User to Please start their own thread.

This insures that each User receives a solution specific to their on Problem, When other user like yourself interject your own problem into the discussion of somebody else's problem, any advice or solution to your problem would confuse and may conflict with the solution to the Originating Users problem..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 12th, 2012 at 04:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information