Thread: Opening port 21 etc --> not a ZA issue

Hybrid View

port21 Guest

Question Opening port 21 etc --> not a ZA issue

In my Firewall, how do I un-block ports 20-22 including UDP.

I need to open these ports so I can use ftp.

My O/S is Windows XP but Ive been instructed i must open my ports through my active Firewall which is ZoneAlarm.

Note that whenever I connect online I chose the public connection not the private connection.

This potentially means my Firewall setting is on high and my ports are closed.

Is there a way to manually open the ports in questions (add the ftp site eg. ftp.example.com) but still connect online using public connection.

Or if you select public connection all ports get closed again?

Please help, thank you.

Default Re: Opening port 21 etc

Blocking and unblocking ports :

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...nblocking.html

This option not in the ZoneAlarm Free Firewall only in paid versions.

Have a nice Day

Also consider that if you want simply using an ftp program to connect to an ftp address then you do not need to open any port. The software should be able to connect to the remote server without problems. Check the permissions to that software under the ZA application control.

If instead you want to have an ftp server on the PC where ZA is installed then, also in this case, if ZA is setup correctly, you should be able to receive connections.

The first test you should however do is the following: Right click the ZA icon near the clock and choose EXIT. Wait a minute. Try now to do what you were trying to do. If it still does not work then its not ZA blocking the ftp.

If with this test the ftp works then your ZA is not setup correctly. Reset to defaults. Ensure your LAN (e.g. 192.168.X.X/255.255....) is set as TRUSTED (and not public) in the ZA firewall zones. That the ZA trusted zone is set to MEDIUM and not HIGH. Keep ZA application control on AUTO to have programs given the permissions needed by ZA.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

port21 Guest

Question Re: Opening port 21 etc

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    If with this test the ftp works then your ZA is not setup correctly. Reset to defaults. Ensure your LAN (e.g. 192.168.X.X/255.255....) is set as TRUSTED (and not public) in the ZA firewall zones. That the ZA trusted zone is set to MEDIUM and not HIGH. Keep ZA application control on AUTO to have programs given the permissions needed by ZA.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thanks for the info but unfortunately so far unsuccessful.

I tried exiting ZA but after 20secs it closed all my browser tabs and browser.
    It did give me the option to cancel closing down the browser etc but when I selected cancel it still went ahead closing down browser etc.

So therefore I cant establish to see if its ZA which is blocking my ftp ports.

Secondly I lowered my Firwall settings for PUBLIC & PRIVATE to medium and tried either of those but still my ports are closed.

Ultimately I do have a purchased ZA (on sale) which I havent installed yet and may have to install it but what if its not ZA thats blocking the ports?

I dont want to have to trouble myself install the paid version, I want to try and fix the problem through my Free ZA version.

All I want to do is connect to a website which hosts files and to download the files it uses ftp ports.

Im not worried about other ftp websites.

The following recommendation I have performed:

Reset to defaults (I see this in the settings but have not RESET). Ensure your LAN (e.g. 192.168.X.X/255.255....) is set as TRUSTED (and not public) in the ZA firewall zones (YES its set as TRUSTED but its called New Network). That the ZA trusted zone is set to MEDIUM and not HIGH (Yes on Medium). Keep ZA application control on AUTO to have programs given the permissions needed by ZA (My DefenseNet is on AUTO).
    My Network Firewall screens all programs is set on MAX, should this be set to Medium or this is irrelevant to what Im doing?

Remember I have not reset to defaults but will do this if all other settings listed are correct and then go through the settings again.

Quote Originally Posted by port21 View Post
    Thanks for the info but unfortunately so far unsuccessful.

I tried exiting ZA but after 20secs it closed all my browser tabs and browser.
    It did give me the option to cancel closing down the browser etc but when I selected cancel it still went ahead closing down browser etc.

So therefore I cant establish to see if its ZA which is blocking my ftp ports.
    You have to shutdown ZA before opening the web browser not after
    Try again and let us know the result.

Then you need to be more specific. Can you specify exactly how to replicate the problem? Web site address, etc.. Otherwise blind help is difficult if not impossible. Also how the ftp is working within the browser? Is it a JAVA applet? Version of Java installed?
    Last edited by fax; October 26th, 2012 at 07:33 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

port21 Guest

Question Re: Opening port 21 etc

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    You have to shutdown ZA before opening the web browser not after
    Try again and let us know the result.

Then you need to be more specific. Can you specify exactly how to replicate the problem? Web site address, etc.. Otherwise blind help is difficult if not impossible.
    OK I shutdown ZA then after 10secs opened Firefox Browser.
    Logged into the website. Tried to download. Same Error 425 prompt.

The ftp address to the site is: ftp.eurasia.nu
    No one but me is having the issue of not being able to download.

If its not ZA that is blocking the ftp ports would it be Windows even though the Firewall is off or would it be avast free antivirus that may be closing the ports?

Also please treat me as a newbie. Just dont feed me peanuts. I will go ape.

Thread Information