Thread: [SOLVED] ZA Extreme 11.0.000.018 & Win 8 Pro 64bit

RolandD6 Guest

Default [SOLVED] ZA Extreme 11.0.000.018 & Win 8 Pro 64bit

Hi All

I have just upgraded a dual boot PC (two partitions) from Win 7 Home Extreme 32bit and Win 7 Pro 64bit to the respective 32bit & 64bit versions of Win 8 Pro. In both cases I opted to carry

over the Win 7 settings to the new Win 8 installations.

Both partitions have ZA Extreme 11.0.000.018 installed, picking up my license details and settings from ZA Extreme 10.2.078.000. In both instances, I had to uninstall ZA Extreme 10.2.078.000 to

allow the Win 8 installation to proceed. There was a slight difference in the procedure. I did the 32bit installation first and hence learned of the incompatible ZA issue during the installation process.

To be certain, I did a full uninstall of ZA but it became obvious that my license details were picked up by Win8 from the Win7 registry. Whereas I don't think I did a full uninstall of ZA before

installing Win 8 64bit.

In both instances I disconnected the computer from the internet beforehand, preferring to get Win 8 updates afterwards.

The 32bit installation works just fine in regard to connecting to the internet. Internet Explorer works, Windows Update works and so.

The 64bit installation has a problem that appears to be a bad interaction between ZA and Internet Explorer (and also Firefox 16). Neither browser will work when ZA is active but both will work

when ZA is stopped and Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are active. Windows Update works as expected when either firewall option is active.

I have compared the ZA settings between the 32bit and 64bit environments to ensure they are the same. The 64bit installation was different initially; it had two identical settings for the wireless router

in the 'View Zones' panel of 'Firewall Settings'. I removed one and made the other identical to the 32bit installation (private to public zone) but that did not fix the problem. I am probably missing

something but the settings for both the 64bit and 32bit environments appear (to me) to be the same.

Any advice on how to fix this problem will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Default Re: ZA Extreme 11.0.000.018 & Win 8 Pro 64bit

Hi!

two main issues: ZA (all flavours) never supported dual boot PCs/OSs. It may have worked before but officially ZA is not QA under this configuration (i.e. problems may arise). Secondly, it is recommended to install ZA with the internet connection active. It would have been also better to update WIN8 fully before installing ZA. You can simply turn ON windows firewall (normally ON by default) and install the updates after ZA.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

There is a possible third issue.

You cannot upgrade to windows 8 from another OS with ZA 11.0.000.018 installed.

The drivers will not work with Win 8

You have to uninstall ZA from your previous OS first.

Then do your Win 8 upgrade.

Then download and install ZA 11.

I would suggest you uninstall ZA 11.0.000.018
    Then download and run the clean up tool: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

After that then download version 11.0.000.020, from this thread: http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=79214

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

RolandD6 Guest

Thanks for the advice.

I had forgotten about the cleanup tool even though I have used it before now.

After sleeping on the problem and while waiting for my plea to be posted, I tried again.

1. reinstalled Win 8
    2. completely removed and re-installed ZA 11
    3. chose to not install the ZA task bar

After a bit of huffing& puffing by Windows, both browsers now run inside Win 8 64bit. IE took a little while to display but is now very quick with successive openings and closings.

Firefox refused to display but Task Manager showed a 32bit process (daemon) was running. Terminated that process and restarted Firefox. ZA wanted to install something in Firefox (forgotten what) and all seems to be OK now. Used ZA to scan everything and tried a full shut down and restart after that. Everything appears to be working as expected.

Firefox 16 running on Win 8 has a totally different appearance compared to older versions of Windows (long time experience with Windows, Firefox & ZA) so there may be a short learning curve.

Thanks for the link to ZA 11.0.000.020. I will install it when the scan is complete.

Advice from Fax:
    "Secondly, it is recommended to install ZA with the internet connection active. It would have been also better to update WIN8 fully before installing ZA. You can simply turn ON windows firewall (normally ON by default) and install the updates after ZA. "

I had to do that because the ZA 11.0.000.018 exe file I got after trying a ZA 10.2.078.000 installation on the Win 8 32bit partition was a 2meg downloader. It appears that ZA 11.0.000.020 is the full version.

The dual boot situation has worked well with Win 7 and ZA 10.2.078.000 and earlier. Time will tell with the new environment. I need the dual boot environment because some of my important software is 32bit only and memory paging by 32bit software was not supported by Win 7 64bit for 32bit applications.

Win 8 64bit is the default OS (can be changed) and it provides an opportunity to select Win 8 32bit shortly after bootup. When Win 8 64bit is selected the PC completes the 64bit startup. Selecting Win 8 32bit sends the PC back to the bios bootup but it bypasses the OS selection process and goes straight into Win 8 32bit startup. This is different to how the process worked when both operating systems were Win 7.

More advice from Fax"
    "two main issues: ZA (all flavours) never supported dual boot PCs/OSs. It may have worked before but officially ZA is not QA under this configuration"

I hear what you say but I have not had a problem (yet). I did contact ZA Support (on-line Chat) beforehand (ie before purchasing another copy of Win 7) to enquire about the matter using my ZA license in the dual boot environment but no mention was made of the matter you have raised.

Thanks again for your advice. I hope all of this will help someone else as well.

Paul

Thank you very much for taking the time to report back. Considering the issue seems solved I will modify the thread title and close it.

Do not hesitate to open a new thread for any other ZA product related issues or PM me in case you need to reopen this one.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information