Thread: Public Zone in HIGH = no internet connection

Hybrid View

aurob Guest

Default Public Zone in HIGH = no internet connection

Hello everybody,

It happend sudenly. For some reason my PC lost internet connection two days ago. When I did turn it on there was no internet. The day before, everything worked just fine. I've tried different things and learned that shooting ZA down brings my IC back. I have even uninstalled ZA and install the latest version (11.00). Still when ZA is on I have no internet. Later on I've learned that changing Public Zone from high to medium fixes everything. I have a LAN connection. Any ideas what could happened? Something f***d it up.

Default Re: Public Zone in HIGH = no internet connection

Exact version of ZA used? Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> About --> Paste it here in a reply. Also you should detail your OS. XP? WIN8? WIN7?

Assuming that your ZA is set-up correctly (trusted zone to medium, your router is trusted, not corrupted settings, etc..) and that ZA was working fine before then you will need to look for anything that has changed/updated on the system.

In fact, the most common cause of what you describe can be caused by third party software installed on the system or malfunction of the OS. Also ensure that you actually installed the very latest version of ZA that you find here: Looking for the latest version?

You may want to remove fully ZA, check you can turn ON/OFF windows firewall (this can be the cause of not having connection) then ensure OS firewall is ON and then install ZA (it will take care of turn it OFF).

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

aurob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Exact version of ZA used? Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> About --> Paste it here in a reply. Also you should detail your OS. XP? WIN8? WIN7?

Assuming that your ZA is set-up correctly (trusted zone to medium, your router is trusted, not corrupted settings, etc..) and that ZA was working fine before then you will need to look for anything that has changed/updated on the system.

In fact, the most common cause of what you describe can be caused by third party software installed on the system or malfunction of the OS. Also ensure that you actually installed the very latest version of ZA that you find here: Looking for the latest version?

You may want to remove fully ZA, check you can turn ON/OFF windows firewall (this can be the cause of not having connection) then ensure OS firewall is ON and then install ZA (it will take care of turn it OFF).

Thanks,
    Fax
    To answer your question:
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 11.0.000.020
    Vsmon version: 11.0.000.020
    Driver version: 11.0.000.009
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.0.13
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1100303488
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4975
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.393.18
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.2.104.0

I'm also running Win 7 Professional, SP1.
    I don't use a router, I'm connected directly to the internet.
    I didn't install any new software recently.
    There might be a windows update that day, but I'm not sure.
    So nothing changed.
    Moreover, I did removed ZA completely, and installed newest version yesterday. Fresh installation of ZA does the same thing. My internet connection is in Public Zone (like it always was), but when I switch it to High it comletely blocks all internet traffic. When switched to medium everything works just fine.
    I have been using ZA for quite few years now, and I know how tricky it can be sometimes. But this time, I can't figure it out.

And did you tried as suggested with windows firewall? Then also list what you have in the ZA firewall zones. Is the trusted zone set to medium? Did you install ZA with the internet connection fully functional?

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by aurob View Post
    Hello everybody,

I've tried different things and learned that shooting ZA down brings my IC back.
    I see where you already tried the following to make sure not Zone Alarm related.

Troubleshooting an Internet disconnection

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...nter/64597.htm

Read the following. Managing traffic sources :

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...all_zones.html

Have a nice Day

Thread Information