Thread: BSOD after uninstall, reinstall Zonealarm Free + AV v11 (110_000_020)

dalchina Guest

Default BSOD after uninstall, reinstall Zonealarm Free + AV v11 (110_000_020)

Hi, I recently installed Zonealarm firewall+AV on Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit Eng.

All was well, until suddenly my CPU time was occupied by vsmon.exe (revealed by Anvir Task Manager.. I don't think I could find that in task manager).

Then I discovered my firewall rules had also all disappeared.

So I tried uninstalling, reinstalling.. (but forgot to specify the reinstall path as it's not prompted for and rather obscure on the GUI).

All seemed well until I came to restart. Then I got a general BSOD talking about new hardware, video adapter, newly installed software.. it only flashed up for a moment after the Windows logo.

Eventually I uninstalled Zonealarm in Safe Mode.

No minidump was created, so I just had to play guessing games as to the potential cause.

So I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling at the original location.. just the same. So now Zonealarm is useless to me.

Is there a cleanup tool - e.g. to remove all leftover registry entries etc? Or any other ideas?

Thanks!

Default Re: BSOD after uninstall, reinstall Zonealarm Free + AV v11 (110_000_020)

Hello;

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

BSOD Errors are usally caused by User Error, Conflict with too many other Security Software installed, Conflict with Hardware or Propriatory Vinder Drivers on some Brands of computers, or trying to install an OLD copy of Zone Alarm that does not support 64-bit Windows Vista/Windows7?

Please read the Posted Sticky Post at the top of this ZA Free section:

Have you tried already with the http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe
    You should run it as administrator in VISTA/Win7.

If this fails look at the manual procedure:
    I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (XP/2000)
    I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (Vista/Win7)
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 3rd, 2013 at 09:13 AM.

dalchina Guest

Default Re: BSOD after uninstall, reinstall Zonealarm Free + AV v11 (110_000_020)

Thanks GeorgeV, Quite appreciate the point.. just looking for maybe a 'starter for 10'.

I've run the cleanup tool which I'd caught a hint of but hadn't located; after running it & a restart I found about 100 registry entries still relating to Zonealarm, and a couple of small folders, so those have gone too.

While 'Bluescreenview' had showed nothing after the BSOD, I have now found 'Whocrashed' reports

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 03/01/2013 13:44:14 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!Kei386EoiHelper+0x17D4)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFF801DF000, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .
    Google query: ntkrpamp.exe UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

- which isn't so helpful. The Bugcheckcode only brings up 1 French page, and doesn't suggest a cause.

Zonealarm had been running for several weeks, no issues. The only other security software is Advanced SystemCare Ultimate (with a Bitdefender engine). As that has an ongoing query about why I can't update it- like 3 or 4 others- and I wanted to use an AV solution I had some confidence in rather than ASC as a wrapper of Bitdefender, I'd put that aside (real time protection off).

I'm aware of issues about security program conflicts- one or two security programs even try to detect (sometimes wrongly) programs they might conflict with on installation.

Perhaps the installation got particularly messy when, having uninstalled from its custom location, I didn't note the rather obscure path customisation (intentionally disguised and not prompted?) on the GUI, so installed using the default path.

I also noted that Zonealarm, if installed in a custom path, and an attempt to reinstall without having uninstalled is made, does not detect the existing installation.

I have no idea what caused the rules to vanish though.

Anyway, I think all is well now.. thanks.

Default Re: BSOD after uninstall, reinstall ZoneAlarm Free + AV v11 (110_000_020)

Unfortunately minidumps will tell us zero about an issue.

Letting you know so you dont waste time collecting them.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; January 4th, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information