Thread: vsmon.exe + Basic Firewall On/Off >adding more RAM will certainly help

Hybrid View

Lightbulb vsmon.exe + Basic Firewall On/Off >adding more RAM will certainly help

question 1.
    The 'Program Learning phase' has been finished (as described here), and vsmon.exe consumes 40% of CPU (by Process Explorer from Sysinternals) at 2Mbit/s download. Is this normal?

(the system:
    Pentium III Tualatin 1.33 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM
    modem/router Huawei EchoLife HG520i
    Windows XP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 11.0.000.038
    avast! antivirus, no other real-time security service
    )

question 2.
    If my computer is behind a hardware firewall, can I turn Basic Firewall of ZA Off? Can it cause any negative effects?

The main question of this thread:
    question 3.
    Situation: Basic Firewall and Application Control (parts of ZA) are On, no download is running, vsmon.exe consumes 0% of CPU.
    Then Firefox (in Application Control a Super Trusted application) starts a download, vsmon.exe starts to consume CPU.
    Then I turn Basic Firewall Off, but it doesn't decrease the CPU consumption of vsmon.exe.
    But why? I expected Application Control wouldn't monitor details of the net traffic, especially for Super trusted applications...
    Last edited by Izibia; January 8th, 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Default Re: Vsmon.exe + Basic Firewall On/Off

Quote Originally Posted by Izibia View Post
    question 1.
    The 'Program Learning phase' has been finished (as described here), and vsmon.exe consumes 40% of CPU (by Process Explorer from Sysinternals) at 2Mbit/s download. Is this normal?

(the system:
    Windows XP SP3
    )

question 2.
    If my computer is behind a hardware firewall, can I turn Basic Firewall of ZA Off? Can it cause any negative effects?

The main question of this thread:
    question 3.
    Situation: Basic Firewall and Application Control (parts of ZA) are On, no download is running, vsmon.exe consumes 0% of CPU.
    Then Firefox (in Application Control a Super Trusted application) starts a download, vsmon.exe starts to consume CPU.
    Then I turn Basic Firewall Off, but it doesn't decrease the CPU consumption of vsmon.exe.
    But why? I expected Application Control wouldn't monitor details of the net traffic, especially for Super trusted applications...
    Hello,

1. We do not measure ZA performance in that manner so your question cannot be answered. All we can say it normal for YOUR PC and completly acceptable performace.

2. Yes you can turn our firewall off, but why? It wont help anything. If anything you could be hacked if your hardware firewall fails or lets an intruder in. Plus you will have absolutely no outbound firewall protection from ZA. So its a very bad move to turn off our firewall.

3. Vsmon is not just associated to the firewall thats why. Vsmon is the heart of the ZA application. If you want to reduce or eliminate the CPU usage and memory usage of Vsmon then uninstall ZA and find another software security product. Or just live with what Vsmon uses on your particular PC wish is completely acceptable to our standards.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thank you for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    3. Vsmon is not just associated to the firewall thats why. Vsmon is the heart of the ZA application.
    But vsmon.exe was idle before the download started, and it started to load CPU the moment the download began.
    And it looks the Basic Firewall consumes minimum CPU during a download - I noticed no difference between Basic Firewall On / Off.

This is the point that I don't understand: IMO Basic Firewall should monitor ingoing packets, and so it should load the CPU. But it doesn't load it and it is Application Control that loads CPU during a download.

Maybe it is a bug, or a non-standard behaviour of my computer, or there is something wrong in my ZA settings ...?

Thank you for the answer.

This is the point that I don't understand: IMO Basic Firewall should monitor ingoing packets, and so it should load the CPU. But it doesn't load it and it is Application Control that loads CPU during a download.

Maybe it is a bug, or a non-standard behaviour of my computer, or there is something wrong in my ZA settings ...?
    Hello;

I'm sorry that you did not read or understand the last past of the Response # 3 from the Forum Moderator?

I'm sorry but the way vsmon functions is not a Bug or non-standard behavior on most computers..

3. Vsmon is not just associated to the firewall thats why. Vsmon is the heart of the ZA application. If you want to reduce or eliminate the CPU usage and memory usage of Vsmon then uninstall ZA and find another software security product. Or just live with what Vsmon uses on your particular PC wish is completely acceptable to our standards.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

GeorgeV, I don't want to unistall ZA at this moment.

I would like to understand why ZA behaves this way:

Here is a Quote by the Forum Moderator from the Helpful Hints and Links section.

"vsmon" using 40-50% of the CPU all the time
    Running applications that keep a constant internet connection open will create extra cycles to be used for ZA. Your basically constantly pushing data through ZA that it has to analyze so there will be more resources used and 50% and more is not unusual with these types of applications.

Its always been this way with ZA its just how the ZA core technology works and it nothing that can be changed or fixed because its working as designed.

Best advise don't run these kinds of apps all the time.

Forum Moderator
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

There nothing to understand, its not an issue or a bug that needs to be fixed.
    Its working as designed. I'm sorry if you don't believe us.

Other firewalls may not work as ours does because we all use our own patented technologies.

So best suggestion is to try out other brands and find one that works the way you want it to work. That may be very hard to find something like that unless you write your own applications.

Since there no reason to keep discussing this I will be closing this thread.

Forum Moderator

Question vsmon.exe consumes CPU even if all functionalities are disabled

Starting situation:

The 'Program Learning phase' has been finished (as described here), and vsmon.exe consumes 40% of CPU (by Process Explorer from Sysinternals) at 2Mbit/s download. I have been told this is a normal ZA behaviour (see this thread: vsmon.exe + Basic Firewall On/Off )

(the system:
    Windows XP SP3

Only functionalities of the "Firewall" tab are turned on; Antivirus is not installed and "Identity&Data" is turned off.
    )

Turning everything off
    Surprisingly the CPU usage doesn't change even if I go to the "Monitor" window and turn off both Basic Firewall and Application Control:

So at this point all main ZA functionalities (at least those functionalities that are adverstised in the "Monitor" window) are disabled and vsmon.exe still works heavily.

So it looks that
    • the main ZA functionalities (program control, basic firewall) require a very small amount of processor time
    • an unknown part of ZA requires a big amount of processor time during a download

Question (and a little complaint)
    What is that unknown part of ZA and why I cannot disable it?

And it is really weird the unknown part is not listed in the ZA "Monitor" window. I intuitively supposed that all functionalities were listed there and ZA would be completely snoozed after everything was turned off.

Default Re: vsmon.exe consumes CPU even if all functionalities are disabled

Hi!

unfortunately you barely fit the minimum requirements for installing ZA (1GHZ, 1G free RAM with XP SP3). As soon as you have more processing than ZA booting at startup (e.g. Huawei software, Antivirus, etc) then its normal you will phase problems.

Probably adding more RAM will certainly help (e.g. 2-4 GIGA) otherwise better to look for other solution that supports your limited CPU, RAM.

You already posted the message in another thread. Merging with it and closing it as we cannot really add more to what already said.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 1st, 2013 at 12:55 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information