Thread: Web Security blocking MS Outlook.com download

sbradford Guest

Default Web Security blocking MS Outlook.com download

It appears that ZA Web Security is blocking the download of contacts lists from the revamped Microsoft Outlook.com website. Is there a way to selectively turn off the blocking?

I'm using ZA Internet Security Suite version: 11.0.000.020
    I am using IE9 to use the outlook.com website. When I try to "export" my contact list (essentially download a CSV file), I new window flashes momentarily and disappears. No download.

I suspected ZA so I turned off Web Security and this time, I got a download bar at the bottom of my browser window and successfully downloaded the CSV file.

A solution would be appreciated.

Default Re: Web Security blocking MS Outlook.com download

Just tested with 11.0.000.038
    Can export contacts from the PEOPLE interface, click the Manage drop down menu and Export then I exported to csv file just fine with web security enabled and default setting in ZA.

Could be an extension or add-on/plug-in to the browser thats causing the issue or conflicting with ZA in some manner.

Try Firefox 17.0.1 also.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sbradford Guest

Tried again and still not working. Only security add-on I have is Trusteer Rapport but that should not be active for this site. Will try playing with settings to see if I can find the cause.

Firefox is tough for me for sites like outlook.com because I have NoScript blocking plus I restrict a lot of cookies.

Just a suggestion to see what is being block.Backup your settings first before doing this.Reset to Default will not reset to the way they were.

Go to Tools > Logs > Alerts & Logs > Main and select High, On, and High > Alert Events click Check All tab and click OK.

Now in Log Control click Delete Log to unclutter ZALog.txt and OK.Reboot your computer.

Tried again if blocking the download.Now go to Log Control click the View Log tab to see what is being block.

How do I read the ZoneAlarm log files?

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...22&action=view

Note : I don't use MS Outlook.com

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 12th, 2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Typo,added link,reword

sbradford Guest

Logging! Of course. Followed your suggestions, turned up everything to high. But you know what? I don't think Web Security records any log messages. And that unfortunately appears to be the problem component.

Thinking about it, logging might make it too easy for a hacker to determine how to get past Web Security. But I'm left with no clue as to why it's blocking outlook.com downloads.

I went to the Web Security | Secure Browser | Advanced Settings and unchecked all available settings. But that didn't help. It's something else in Web Security that I don't have control over.

Downloading/exporting contacts is something I won't be doing very often so manually turning off Web Security every time isn't too big a hassle but it would be nice to know the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by sbradford View Post
    Logging! Of course. Followed your suggestions, turned up everything to high. But you know what? I don't think Web Security records any log messages. And that unfortunately appears to be the problem component.

Thinking about it, logging might make it too easy for a hacker to determine how to get past Web Security. But I'm left with no clue as to why it's blocking outlook.com downloads.

I went to the Web Security | Secure Browser | Advanced Settings and unchecked all available settings. But that didn't help. It's something else in Web Security that I don't have control over.

Downloading/exporting contacts is something I won't be doing very often so manually turning off Web Security every time isn't too big a hassle but it would be nice to know the cause.
    Web Security doesn't log anything.Try Tools > Logs > Log Viewer > view log entries and see if anything being block relating to Outlook.com.

I just now realize you're using older version of ZASS.You can find current version 11.0.000.038 here :

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view

If you have current valid license.You can address your issue here :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Out of suggestions on my end.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 19th, 2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Typo, rephrase

sbradford Guest

I thought every time I pressed the Update link, the entire package picked up updates? No?

So I manually updated to the version you indicated. No change. Still can't download.

Considering that the issue cannot be replicated by others. I would say you have two main options to identify the culprit of the conflict. Either trying on another system with the same setup or boot up your system selectively, first only with OS + ZA and then checking the issue. This way:

1.) Click Start -> Run (on XP)
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box (or search box in VISTA/Win7) and click OK (ENTER in VISTA/Win7)
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the ServiceTab
    4.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    5.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ZoneAlarm LTD toolbar (if present), and click OK.
    6.) Click the Startup Tab,
    7.) Order by publisher and disable all items except items from Microsoft and Checkpoint
    8.) Restart your computer

Now test if the issue persist. If it doesn't go back to MSCONFIG and check back the disabled items by group of 4 or 5. Start from the service tab and then move to the startup. This way you should hopefully find the issue.

If the above fails then the only other option left is to test it in a different PC, first only ZA then all the specific add-ons (no script, Rapport, etc).

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information