Thread: Version 11

Hybrid View

Wtroger Guest

Thumbs up Version 11

Can version 11 free be installed without the virus protection. It asked me to upgrade yesterday morning and I did and I am just now getting my machine back to normal (windows xp sp3) BSOD's had to do a manual unistall. from some of the messages I was getting when running chkdsk it appears that 2013 free doesn't play well with AVG 2013 free.

Smile Re: Version 11

Quote Originally Posted by Wtroger View Post
    Can version 11 free be installed without the virus protection. It asked me to upgrade yesterday morning and I did and I am just now getting my machine back to normal (windows xp sp3) BSOD's had to do a manual unistall. from some of the messages I was getting when running chkdsk it appears that 2013 free doesn't play well with AVG 2013 free.
    Hello;

You downloaded the Wrong type of ZA Free + AV firewall, if you want to keep AVG AV Free, in this version of ZA Free you can not seperate or uninstall just the AV part..

1.) Golden Rule:

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7 add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the
    vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7 add/remove software tool in the control panel.

2.) if you want to keep AVG 2013 free, then you must uninstall ZA Free + AV and download and install the Current (Basic) ZoneAlarm Free Firewall that does not have the AV part..

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...download-b.htm

Good luck
    GeorgeV

Last edited by GeorgeV; January 14th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Wtroger Guest

Default Re: Version 11

Well George that didn't work. Complete uninstall of zonealarm.Downloaded just the 2013 firewall (same file as last time) exact same results getting bsod's (no more rip stack locations). Currently restoring system from backup.

Wtroger Guest

Any updates on this issue. You can not get a version with out the AV piece you can only choose not to install it and even then you can see it putting pieces of it in. I have ran ZA and AVG for years together without issues. Now this. I will not let my other machines update due to this issue and not wanting to spend a day recovering a machine. So right now the one machine is just running MS firewall the rest ZA ver 10

Quote Originally Posted by Wtroger View Post
    Any updates on this issue. You can not get a version with out the AV piece you can only choose not to install it and even then you can see it putting pieces of it in. I have ran ZA and AVG for years together without issues. Now this. I will not let my other machines update due to this issue and not wanting to spend a day recovering a machine. So right now the one machine is just running MS firewall the rest ZA ver 10
    Sorry, I do not know where you have been downloading ZA Free from..

Try this:

1. Open your control panel select the Add remove programs / Program and Features

2. If any of the following have been installed, uninstall them.
    - ZoneAlarm
    - ZoneAlarm toolbar
    - Do Not Track

3. Download and run our clean up utility from:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

4. Download the previous version of Free ZA and install:

- Free Firewall: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...10_000_054.exe (zafwSetup) <= Free version without AV

- Free AV +Firewall: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...10_000_054.exe (zaSetup)
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 11th, 2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: clarification edit..

Thread Information