Thread: distinguish wireless networks as trusted/untrusted when they have the same gateway IP

Default distinguish wireless networks as trusted/untrusted when they have the same gateway IP

I recently contacted ZA support as I connected to a public network which happened to have the same LAN IP gateway address as my router. although this network was listed in windows as public, because of the IP range ZA put it in the trusted zone. have other people noticed this issue? if you connect to a public network that then happens to have the same IP range is there a way to indicate to ZA that this is NOT a trusted network.

I am attaching the details of my attempt to get ZA support to answer this: I have used ZA for years and have in the past paid for it. I'm currently on the free version, but the answers I (didn't) get from support have put me off the idea of upgrading again. I think you'll see what I mean...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; March 25th, 2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Support does provide services in the forum and inappropriate to post conversation

Default Re: distinguish wireless networks as trusted/untrusted when they have the same gatewa

Hello;

Sorry, we are all Users here in the User Supported Forum,
    Users helping other Users..

The Official Tech Support Service is Only Free to Users of the Paid Product..

The FREE versions of Zone Alarm are provided "AS IS"
    and any Additional Help for the FREE version is available from Users of this Forum or from The Forum Search Feature or Knowledgebase..

Users of the FREE version that want Tech Support can also select the Premium Pay for Service option on the Support page..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 25th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Default Re: distinguish wireless networks as trusted/untrusted when they have the same gatewa

Sorry one post needed to go as against forum rules. Please do not post private conversation into a public forum. This is also the reason why

As already suggested we are all users here and we have no control on support policy or answer by technical support.

If you want to workaround the issue, just remember to shift the ZA firewall zone relared to that IP to "public"/"internet" before connecting to an untrusted network or before travelling with your laptop. Or you can set by default your network in ZA zones "public"/"internet" and only change it when you need to share resources within your LAN/Router.

Thanks,
    Fax
    P.S. Any further post related to private conversation will be removed without further notice.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Sorry one post needed to go as against forum rules. Please do not post private conversation into a public forum. This is also the reason why

As already suggested we are all users here and we have no control on support policy or answer by technical support.

If you want to workaround the issue, just remember to shift the ZA firewall zone relared to that IP to "public"/"internet" before connecting to an untrusted network or before travelling with your laptop. Or you can set by default your network in ZA zones "public"/"internet" and only change it when you need to share resources within your LAN/Router.

Thanks,
    Fax
    P.S. Any further post related to private conversation will be removed without further notice.
    ok I get your point about the private conversation (I honestly didn't see it as private, only my full name was shown)

re changing the ZA zone, this is not really a satisfactory answer though as it means I need to manually go into ZA EVERY TIME I change network and make sure a public network is not in the trusted zone. I really wanted to know if any paid version would have a better solution - e.g. if the network is set to public in windows Za should pick that up and set to not trusted regardless of IP range

Not sure if this is possible in ZA retail versions. Either you wait for other user input or an easy way to test is to install any ZA retail product and testing it. All ZA retails products offers a 30 day trial. Also check if you can edit the address and add the MAC address of your router. Not in front of ZA so I cannot check.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information