Thread: If you disable the ZA Security Toolbar, is it still doing its work?

Exclamation If you disable the ZA Security Toolbar, is it still doing its work?

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 11.0.000.038
    Vsmon version: 11.0.000.038
    Driver version: 11.0.000.038
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.0.13
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1110477952
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.393.22
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.2.104.0

I've recently updated ZASS from v10.1.079 to currently newest v11.0.000.038. No problems, I'd even say that IE8 (Windows XP SP3) goes faster now. Possibly the update has fixed a problem with the Web Security not being enabled at boot up (I have to do some more boots to check).

The ZA toolbar is new, with 3 visible items: Site Check, Do Not Track and Private Browsing. I've disabled it to make room for other bars. I have NOT disabled the ZA Helper Object. Obviously to use the private browsing I have to enable the bar and click on it but I'll hardly use this. Are Site Check and Do Not Track working still?

I haven't touched the "Zone Alarm Security Engine" (it's enabled as it should) that IE8 treats as a bar although it doesn't appear in that form.

Default Re: If you disable the ZA Security Toolbar, is it still doing its work?

Hi;

Sorry, you will need to check with support directly about those, we are all users here. ZA staff do not monitor this board

If you feel more secured with official support please contact them directly at the link in my signature, its free for registered users.

Moreover if you already contacted them then it's important you come back to them again to report the issue is not resolved. Not here.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by factor View Post
    I've recently updated ZASS from v10.1.079 to currently newest v11.0.000.038. No problems, I'd even say that IE8 (Windows XP SP3) goes faster now. Possibly the update has fixed a problem with the Web Security not being enabled at boot up (I have to do some more boots to check).

The ZA toolbar is new, with 3 visible items: Site Check, Do Not Track and Private Browsing. I've disabled it to make room for other bars. I have NOT disabled the ZA Helper Object. Obviously to use the private browsing I have to enable the bar and click on it but I'll hardly use this. Are Site Check and Do Not Track working still?

I haven't touched the "Zone Alarm Security Engine" (it's enabled as it should) that IE8 treats as a bar although it doesn't appear in that form.
    If you selected to install the Toolbar at install.It's ON by default.

If you turn OFf Web Security in the GUI.The Web Security will turn red and informs you that "Dangerous web sites and downloads will not be block".That's the Web Protection and Advanced download protection settings.The setting tab is grayed out.So they are disable.This will not remove the Toolbar in the browser.

To remove the Toolbar temporally in the browser you can disable the five Add-ons in Manage Add-ons.You can alway enable again when you want.

For permanent removal of the Toolbar in the browser.From Add or Remove in XP uninstall ZoneAlarm Security Toolbar only.

Best to do like Guru GeorgeV suggested contact Support.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 17th, 2013 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Reword,typo

Thanks for the responses, but it seems like I've presented this as much more complex than it actually is.

I've simply gone to IE8 -> View -> Toolbars. You can see the native IE and external toolbars installed, either ticked or w/o tick. The visual effect of unticking a bar is to hide it, that's what I wanted when I unticked "ZoneAlarm Security toolbar". After unticking the bar, I was presented a confirmation prompt with the checkbox "Disable ZoneAlarm Helper Object" that I didn't tick. I suppose that this way you disable the visual part but not the features like Site Check and Do Not Track that can work silently. Am I correct in this?

IE's Manage Add-ons doesn't show the bar items separately, only the said ZA Security Toolbar (disabled) and ZA Helper Object (enabled), besides other ZA things I haven't touched and are enabled.

note 1: IE8 has a visible menu bar unlike IE9, so the easiest thing in IE8 looks like very complex or for advanced technicians in IE9. IE8 has user interface! and I've only had to use it .

note 2: During part of my age with the ancient version 10.1.079, I couldn't see the Site Check item in ZA's visible toolbar, possibly because it was the ancient Conduit bar, but anyway I was blocked and advised against visiting 2 or 3 sites considered dangerous, so the feature was working despite not being visible in the toolbar.

Sorry I wasn't able to help.

If current valid license, best to contact Live Chat and address the issue :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day

I agree with Sky Soldiers;

as I mentioned below;

Sorry, you will need to check with support directly about those, we are all users here. ZA staff do not monitor this board.

If you feel more secured with official support please contact them directly at the link in my signature, its free for registered users.

Moreover if you already contacted them then it's important you come back to them again to report the issue is not resolved.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

To properly uninstall the toolbar so that it will not interfere with anything there is a separate uninstaller for the toolbar now.

FYI: If you uninstall ZA, that will not uninstall the toolbar or DNT (do not track) technology.

1. ZA has its own uninstaller.
    2. Security Toolbar has it own uninstaller.
    3. Do Not track has its own uninstaller now.

We cannot support you disabling the toolbar from within the browser.
    We will only support disabling and removing the toolbar if you run the uninstaller for the toolbar.

Once the toolbar has been uninstalled then the only feature that actually will function that is part of the Web Security/Web Identity Protections in ZA is the Advanced download protection.

Forum Moderator

For the records I'm interested in having the toolbar functions, what I don't want to use if possible is vertical room for them. With the toolbar hidden, the canvas is higher.

In a previous post I told a situation in which Site Check was working despite not being visible in the toolbar for some kind of error or misconfiguration (although the warnings/prompts produced when visiting sites considered dangerous were visible, as they should). This was a positive comment. I want an Internet security app to do these things. Do Not Track is another positive feature.

Quote Originally Posted by factor View Post
    For the records I'm interested in having the toolbar functions, what I don't want to use if possible is vertical room for them. With the toolbar hidden, the canvas is higher.

In a previous post I told a situation in which Site Check was working despite not being visible in the toolbar for some kind of error or misconfiguration (although the warnings/prompts produced when visiting sites considered dangerous were visible, as they should). This was a positive comment. I want an Internet security app to do these things. Do Not Track is another positive feature.

Sorry cant happen. If you want all the functions you MUST leave the toolbar installed in the browsers. Sorry.

Forum Moderator

Thread Information