Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ZoneAlarm Free installs, but when restarted....

Quentin Guest

Default [SOLVED] ZoneAlarm Free installs, but when restarted....

Re: Zone Alarm 2013 zafwSetupWeb_110_000_038(1).exe

1. I have a laptop, Intel core 2 duo 2 gigahertz, 4 Mb Ram, Windows XP 3, Zone Alarm 10.1.101.000.

2. A popup invited me to upgrade to Zone Alarm 2013.

3. I downloaded zafwSetupWeb_110_000_038(1).exe and proceeded with the installation.

4. Following installation, I restarted my computer, the Welcome logo came up, and following this the screen went black. After a few minutes, the screen saver came up. As there appeared to be hard disk movement, I waited for a further five minutes.

5. The mouse cursor moved on the screen, but there was no reaction to left or right clicks on the mouse controller. There was no reaction to the pressing of the Windows key.

6. As nothing appear to be happening, I shut down and rebooted and tried loading "the last known good configuration. I got the same results as numbers 4 and 5 above.

7. As nothing appeared to be happening, I shut down and re-booted into safe mode. The safe mode desktop came up and everything appeared to work.

8. I shut down and re-booted normally, but got the same results as shown in paragraphs numbers 4 and 5 above.

9. I restored my original drive C from backup and everything worked as prior to the installation .

10. I repeated the installation of zafwSetupWeb_110_000_038(1).exe, but got the same results as shown above.

There is obviously something wrong with the set-up program zafwSetupWeb_110_000_038(1).exe that gives this peculiar result.

This is to let you know the problem so that you can fix it.

Quentin Crivon
    ~~snip~~
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 14th, 2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Do Not Post Email Adress in this Public Forum

Smile Re: ZoneAlarm Free installs, but when restarted....

Hello,

you tried to install version 11 over an old version 10.1 install,
    in the proccess the new install may have become corrupted..

I suggest that you try this remody that works for 100's of other users..

The instruction for a clean install are below:

Please Follow all of the steps in there instructions.
    http://www.zonealarm.com/forums/show...lict-detection <= click here

Good luck

GeorgeV
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 14th, 2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: fix typo

Quentin Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free installs, but when restarted....

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hello,

you tried to install version 11 over an old version 10.1 install,
    in the proccess the new install may have become corrupted..

I suggest that you try this remody that works for 100's of other users..

The instruction for a clean install are below:

Please Follow all of the steps in there instructions.
    http://www.zonealarm.com/forums/show...lict-detection <= click here

Good luck

GeorgeV
    I followed all the instructions, ie. I uninstalled the older version of ZA, re-booted,cleaned out the Registry, but still got the same result.
    It should not be such a complicated process to install ZA2013,and it should install just like its predecessors, without any problems.

Hmmm.. sounds like maybe a conflict someplace..

Try this

Try to find the culprit of the conflict by selectively boot your system. First try only ZA and Windows services and then slowly put back the unchecked items (first services and then startup items).

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box (or search box in VISTA/Win7) and click OK (ENTER in VISTA/Win7)
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work Now?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the General tab.

Quentin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I followed all the instructions, ie. I uninstalled the older version of ZA, re-booted,cleaned out the Registry, but still got the same result.
    It should not be such a complicated process to install ZA2013,and it should install just like its predecessors, without any problems.
    Today, my partner and another colleague downloaded and successfully installed ZA11 in their XP PCs. These were installed directly without uninstalling the previous ZA, and without stopping AVG 2013, or in fact stopping any other programmes. In fact my partner is making use of the 5 gigabyte cloud backup storage provided in ZA11.

My laptop runs the same programmes plus some more than the PCs.

Quentin Guest

Today, my partner and another colleague downloaded and successfully installed ZA11 in their XP PCs. These were installed directly without uninstalling the previous ZA, and without stopping AVG 2013, or in fact stopping any other programmes. In fact my partner is making use of the 5 gigabyte cloud backup storage provided in ZA11.

My laptop runs the same programmes plus some more than the PCs.
    Problem resolved itself.

I downloaded a further copy of the installation program and proceeded therewith. It loaded successfully, and on re-booting everything came up as normal.

It may well be that there was a corrupted version 11 that I obtained originally, as I noted the latest update was slightly larger than the first one that I downloaded.

Thank you for Reporting back on how you resolved your issue installing ZA Free v11..

Quentin Guest

Thank you for Reporting back on how you resolved your issue installing ZA Free v11..
    Not resolved. I rebooted, and I got the black screen again. I am back where I started. I'm sticking to version 10 until the next update to resolve this problem

Quentin Guest

Unfortunately, the same problem has reoccurred. Having had everything up and running, and following a shutdown, when I re-booted last night, I got the black screen again.

I again re-installed my backup of the C drive, and I am back on using ZA version 10.

Any answers?

Unfortunately, the same problem has reoccurred. Having had everything up and running, and following a shutdown, when I re-booted last night, I got the black screen again.

I again re-installed my backup of the C drive, and I am back on using ZA version 10.

Any answers?
    You never confirm if you did selectively boot as suggested by Guru GeorgeV here :

http://www.zonealarm.com/forums/show...036#post296036

See here also : Using the Selective Startup option, you can turn services and startup programs on or off individually to see if the problem occurs the next time you restart your computer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-Configuration

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 17th, 2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added another link

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information