Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continuous reboot after installing latest ZA Free --> Update XP to SP3, update ZA

Digsy Guest

Exclamation Continuous reboot after installing latest ZA Free --> Update XP to SP3, update ZA

I installed the latest version of ZoneAlarrm Free twice last night. The first was an upgrade over a much older version and the second was a completely clean install of ZoneAlarm Free and ZoneAlarm Free AV after removing the previous ZA install and my old AV software (Avast).

But installs resulted in the same bug upon boot up:

Computer boots as normal as far as the "Welcome" screen
    Instead of the desktop appearing after a few seconds, the screen goes black.
    Computer resets itself and reboots.
    Continue ad infinitum...

The computer wil boot from safe mode but thankfully I set a system restore point as the uninstall does not run from Safe mode. System restore to before the install enables the computer to boot successfully, but obviously with no ZA functionality.

I've used ZA Free for years but your last "must have" upgrade also borked my system. I can't remember how but that's the reason my previous install was so out of date. I figured I would try this one because you might have fixed the install bugs by now. Obviously not

I've read this thread: http://www.zonealarm.com/forums/show...tinuous-reboot
    This is not applicable because I didn't update anything else at the time, other than ZA Free.

...and this one:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/forums/show...-InCD-conflict
    I do use Nero, but I don't use InCD.

Any advice greatfully received, but please don't ask me to get into doing hours of diagnositcs for you. If there isn't a simple workaround I'll just find a different product that works on my PC.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 13th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Default Re: Continuous reboot after installing latest ZA Free

Hi!

This can't be done without troubleshooting the issue. No use to post here if you are not willing to follow certain steps to find the culprit of the problem. If this is the case do not read further, just look for another firewall. There are plenty out there. The most important thing is not running an outdated security tool on your system. Just find one that works for your and that you can keep fully up to date.

Also you need to ensure your OS (XP?) is fully patched, SP3 + all other thousands fixes released in the past years.

If you look more carefully you will find plenty of suggestions on how to troubleshoot this type of issue. Normally if it works in SAFE MODE with networking and not in normal mode means that there is a third party components conflicting with ZA. This can be anything from an old software, to old hardware, old drivers, generally conflicting software, rootkit malware, malware in general, etc....

The first think you need to do is to start clean from anything than your OS drivers and ZA. Don't leave anything else. This way:

1.) Right click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig click the Services Tab
    4.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    5.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ZoneAlarm LTD toolbar (if present), and click OK.
    6.) Click the Startup Tab, click on hyperlink that will open the task manager Startup items
    7.) Order by publisher and disable all items except items from Microsoft and Checkpoint
    8.) Restart your computer

Considering your problem (reboots) you will need to do the above steps before installing ZA. To ensure you start from a clean baseline. Obviously you will not find the ZA related entries mentioned above.

Unless I receive a feedback in the following days I will close this thread as there is no simple solution to your problem without a detailed troubleshooting and willingness to follow them.

Thanks!
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 18th, 2013 at 12:33 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Digsy Guest

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.

I read that troubleshooting guide on another thread and had a look in MSConfig last night. Thing is, I have maybe 30 or 40 services that I would have to switch on one by one to go through this, each of which would require 1 attempted reboot in normal mode and then another reboot in Safe mode to make the next adjustment if I am going to identify the issue by looking at each service individually.

Here's the thing, though. All the other services are there because I want them to be there. They are all things I use and until yesterday they all coexisted happily alongside ZA Free. I updated ZA and got a problem, therefor ZA is the problem. Even if I had the time to troubleshhto this, going through those steps will only resolve the issue by forcing me to remove a totally unrelated piece of software that I already use.

Sadly it looks like me and ZA Free are through

Hi!

as already said in different threads you do not need to do it one by one. Just do it by a group of 4 or 5. This will be much faster and as soon as you find the group causing the issue then you can inspect 5 issues and not 30. Start enabling components from the services tab then move to the startup items.

Please let us know how it goes. In case of no response I will be closing soon this thread. If you are not willing to follow the steps then no use of posting here as we (i.e. users here) unfortunately don't have a magic stick to solve BSOD or conflicts and this is the only way to do it considering that there are millions of applications developed for the windows platform multipled by tens of different versions for each application.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 18th, 2013 at 02:08 AM.

Digsy Guest

Ok, ok. I'll give it a go. But can you please tell me how to save the entire installer file on my PC instead of just the initial setup file? I have downloaded the package three times now...

Digsy Guest

LOL, wel that was mercifully brief!

Ran MSCONFIG and disabled everything in Startup and Services apart from Microsoft components and my mouse and keyboard drivers (also Microsoft). Installed ZA Free with AV. Rebooted. Same problem. System restore back to where I was last night.

So, now about to re-install my old AV and enable Windows Firewall until can find a more up to date solution.

If your running XP with Service Pack 2, then that is the issue wth the BSOD.

11.0.000.038 is not compatible with XP SP2.

Boot into SAFEMODE WITH NETWORKING

Download our clean up utility
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

Run the clean up utility.

Reboot system normally.

BSOD should be gone.

Update your OS with SP3

Update ANY and ALL critical and non critical updates for your PC from Microsoft.

Then install ZA again.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Default Re: Continuous reboot after installing latest ZA Free --> Update XP to SP3

Quote Originally Posted by Digsy View Post
    Well, that's intersesting information. I am running SP2 so I'll be wanting to do a full backup of everything before i upgrade to SP3 just to try to fix this issue.

What do you make of this, though, captured from http://www.zonealarm.co.uk/security/...e-firewall.htm just now?

And, I don't get a "Blue SCreen Of Death". I get a continuous reboot, so I am not even sure if we are talking about the same issue anymore.

Here is a posted Forum notice from Dec. 8, 2009 about Microsoft ending Support for SP2..

Sticky: Microsoft Ends Windows XP SP2 Support Now and ALL XP Support <= click here

UPDATE Windows XP to SP3 Now...

As of July 13, 2010, Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP SP2,

However Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) Microsoft will probably continue to issue important security updates
    Until April 8, 2014 Drop Dead Date... (all Support Ends)

the end of support for Windows XP and Office 2003 is April 8, 2014. (Can you believe Windows XP was released over 10 years ago?

Why is support ending for Windows XP SP3 ?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo..._123LMUS014562 <==Click Here

Link to Windows XP Service Pack 3
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ice-pack-3-sp3

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ads/windows-xp
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 19th, 2013 at 04:50 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Default Re: Continuous reboot after installing latest ZA Free --> Update XP to SP3

Quote Originally Posted by Digsy View Post
    Well, that's intersesting information. I am running SP2 so I'll be wanting to do a full backup of everything before i upgrade to SP3 just to try to fix this issue.
    Pity you have not said it before as the first recommendation given in the initial post was to have the system fully up to date.

This time please consider also that after SP3 you need to download all updates, these are several hundred of megabytes of data and will require several reboots. Also consider that no security tool will protect you correctly if running under a vulnerable and untrusted platform.

You will for sure also need to run this:
    http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

and update all the other vulnerable software on your system.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 19th, 2013 at 06:56 AM.

Margaret Guest

Default Re: BSOD after updating XP with zafwSetupWeb_110_000_038.exe

Hello

I got a message from “Zone Alarm” saying I needed to update my version. I said yes and went through the procedure and did the restart at the end. Oh dear. Blue screen of stupidity saying “invalid - kernel – handle”. Fortunately I have “Go Back” so I reverted my system. I waited a few days and tried again downloading the file from CNET as I have never had a problem with any of their downloads. Same problem “invalid - kernel – handle”. I reverted again.
    I looked on the net and found some comments about microsoft service pack three being necessary. I use XP service pack two with relevant updates only. I refused all the “Outlook, Office and Media Player ones as I do not use these products and my little old computer has space issues.
    I use Zone Alarm firewall and anti-virus and up to now have been very pleased with it.
    The old version of Zone alarm is still updating when I use my computer. Can I just stay on this version?

Any advice or help would be appreciated as I also have an old laptop but dare not try the new Zone Alarm on that as it is to small to run “Go-Back” so if that got the blue screen it would be a disaster.

Cheers
    Margaret

P.S. I hope this post is OK I have not tried a forum before and my first attempt wouldn't send.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information