Thread: ZA Partial install ==> Stuck in limbo after Power Surge > Solution FORMAT Hard Drive

redsloth Guest

Exclamation ZA Partial install ==> Stuck in limbo after Power Surge > Solution FORMAT Hard Drive

Hi all

I had a power surge during upgrade from ZA Firewall 2012 to 2013. Means ZA was never correctly installed.

It now doesn't run even though it is sitting on the HDD. I can not uninstall it or install it completly. The half installed program loads the user interface but options such as load new version don't work. Grateful any assistance to uninstall (with view to re-install a fresh copy).

The details:
    When trying to install the latest version from the internet it stops at 20% done. System is still running fine and doesn't lock up, just stops.

When uninstalling (either via Clean.exe or via Windows Remove Programs) it appears to uninstall fine but on reboot Windows hangs just after i enter my password. (Not blue screen of death but a black screen. I can load Task Manager but there is nothing for me to shut down or tab across to.) Thereafter I have to reset my PC, load Safe Mode and load a previous Restore Point.

I've gone through this loop around 10x now. Going nuts. The ZA online chat team suggested a few basic things - such as uninstalling in SafeMode, loading with nil user programs via MSConfig, disabling other firewall and virus checker software (which I dont have) - but never worked. Then they actually suggested I post here...!!!

IMO the only option left is a full manual uninstall. Deleting all files and modifying Regedit. Grateful advice to go down this path as I don't really know how.

Thanks

Default Re: ZA Partial install ==> Stuck in limbo

Quote Originally Posted by redsloth View Post
    Hi all

I had a power surge during upgrade from ZA Firewall 2012 to 2013. Means ZA was never correctly installed.

It now doesn't run even though it is sitting on the HDD. I can not uninstall it or install it completly. The half installed program loads the user interface but options such as load new version don't work. Grateful any assistance to uninstall (with view to re-install a fresh copy).

The details:
    When trying to install the latest version from the internet it stops at 20% done. System is still running fine and doesn't lock up, just stops.

When uninstalling (either via Clean.exe or via Windows Remove Programs) it appears to uninstall fine but on reboot Windows hangs just after i enter my password. (Not blue screen of death but a black screen. I can load Task Manager but there is nothing for me to shut down or tab across to.) Thereafter I have to reset my PC, load Safe Mode and load a previous Restore Point.

I've gone through this loop around 10x now. Going nuts. The ZA online chat team suggested a few basic things - such as uninstalling in SafeMode, loading with nil user programs via MSConfig, disabling other firewall and virus checker software (which I dont have) - but never worked. Then they actually suggested I post here...!!!

IMO the only option left is a full manual uninstall. Deleting all files and modifying Regedit. Grateful advice to go down this path as I don't really know how.

Thanks
    Hello;

It would be helpful if you provided what Type of and Version # of ZoneAlarm you are trying to install and What Type and Version of Windows OS...

NOTE: is this the FREE version or one of the Paid versions of Zone Alarm you have installed?

Have you tried already with the http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe
    You should run it as administrator in VISTA/Win7.

If this fails look at the manual procedure:
    I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (XP/2000) <= click here
    I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (Vista/Win7) <= click here
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 29th, 2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: correct Type-o
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

redsloth Guest

Thanks for the reply.
    I am running Win 7 64 bit.
    ZA version is 10.2.057.000

I see your link for Win 7. The last half of that relates to deleting files directly. That's what I'm after!!! I'll give that a try after work today (other side of the world to the US!)

Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by redsloth View Post
    I am running Win 7 64 bit.
    How do I manually remove Zonealarm from Windows Vista 64bit and Windows 7 64bit :

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...24&action=view

Have a nice Day

redsloth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Soldiers View Post
    How do I manually remove Zonealarm from Windows Vista 64bit and Windows 7 64bit :

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...24&action=view

Have a nice Day
    Thanks Sky Soldiers.

80% there. Followed the instructions. Appeared successful. Was able to load into Windows 7 afterwards. Discovered that the internet was then not working. Had to do system restore for internet to work again (and yes, ZA is now back!)

Perhaps relevant. When trying to install new version I receive following message at 10% complete: Error #1603: Fatal error during installation.
    [a search of these forums suggested this may be caused by permissions; I dont think that is relevant in my case]

Thanks.

If you had a power surge/outage then it very possible the OS was corrupted, and that very well may be the issue because after you manually removed ZA the OS does not have internet access.

Your much better off formating the hard drive and re-install the OS.

Who knows what else in the OS is damaged and even if you get ZA off and then get the OS back on the internet you may have issue going forward forever and you will just think its ZA causing the issue. Then you will come back here over and over and over and eventually just frustrated and leave ZA.

Cut to the chase now and bite the bullet.

Format the hard drive re-install the OS from scratch (don't install the new OS over the damaged OS.)

Use Windows update to download and install ALL critical and non-critical updates along with ALL optional updates.

Then download the latest version of ZA 11.0.000.054 and install.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information