Thread: ZA free firewall 10 blocks applications without any notification

Default ZA free firewall 10 blocks applications without any notification

I use ZA free firewall v10.2.078.000 +Win7-64 + Avira Free Antivirus. After some programs update attempts ZA blocks their work without any alarm notification, despite of all components of the programs have supertrust level. For example, Skype or VLC player. It looks like ZA training mode doesn't work. I have next settings: Public Zones security - high, Trusted - Medium; Apps. Control: Network Firewall screens all program (Max), DefenseNet - Manual; Microsoft Catalog Utilization Enabled (checkbox - yes)
    Subnet 192.168.137.1/255.255.255.0, 127.0.0.0/255.255.255.0,
    dhcp server IP=172.19.1.151 are trusted!
    Logging and alerting is ON.
    Last edited by fax; February 11th, 2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Revised title to better hint to the problem

Default Re: ZA free firewall 10 uncontrolled hiperactivity

Hi!

have you checked in the ZA logs for any entry (tools --> Logs --> check firewall/OSfirewall/Programs sections)?
    Do you see anything in there? If not, this is normally an indication that the ZA databases (where the settings are stored) may be corrupted.

You are one of the rare users that actually post some good background info on settings! Thank you for that!
    By the way, the settings seems fine and correct.

Also note that auto training only works with application control is on AUTO
    Plese specify if its a first install or just something that has developed now

Thanks,
    Fax
    P.S: edited the title to better reflect on the issue
    Last edited by fax; February 11th, 2013 at 04:44 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: ZA free firewall 10 uncontrolled hiperactivity

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!

have you checked in the ZA logs for any entry (tools --> Logs --> check firewall/OSfirewall/Programs sections)?
    Yes, of course! Programs log every time says New program Skype IP 127.0.0.1:61266 or 53428. Surely, Skype is not a new program, but...

Do you see anything in there? If not, this is normally an indication that the ZA databases (where the settings are stored) may be corrupted.

You are one of the rare users that actually post some good background info on settings! Thank you for that!
    By the way, the settings seems fine and correct.

Also note that auto training only works with application control is on AUTO
    I will try it, thanks!

Plese specify if its a first install or just something that has developed now
    Yes, it's first installing, but I used an image making program to renew last successful version of OS and soft. ZA11 gave me mass of problems so I was forced to come back to ZA10. I suspect Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may be a kind of antagonist to ZA.

Thanks,
    Fax
    P.S: edited the title to better reflect on the issue

Default Re: ZA free firewall 10 blocks applications without any notification

I've changed application control to Auto and everything seems to work fine. Thanks! The problem is closed.

Default Re: ZA free firewall 10 blocks applications without any notification

I am glad the firewall seems to work again. However, please note that having the application control on AUTO will allow any unknown and known good. Its rather unsafe (basically letting almost everything in) and good for having ZA learning your system for alimited amount of time before moving it to MAX.

The type of blocking mentioned seems a clear indication that ZA does not work well as it should since, by default, those connections from software to your PC should not be blocked.

ZA is very sensitive to imaging/copying/restore points and it will get corrupted during these operations.

I would recommend to fully reset the ZA settings (ZA tools --> preferences --> Reset to default) and re-check it again.

I would also recommend to move to the latest version as some firewall features has been improved in version 11 including fixing of bug and potential software vulnerability. ZA is supposed to be your first/second line of defense and should be kept always fully up to date.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information