Thread: Can the “Web Security” components of ZoneAlarm Pro be uninstalled?

Default Can the “Web Security” components of ZoneAlarm Pro be uninstalled?

February 12, 2013

Can the “Web Security” components of ZoneAlarm Pro be uninstalled?

Despite unchecking the “toolbar installation” during ZAP custom install, the “Web Security” ZAForceField components were installed but not “activated” in Internet Explorer 9. This “install but disable” action would be useful to allow the “Web Security” functionality to be utilized if desired.

After the ZAP 11 installation completed, I see in IE9 that the ZoneAlarm Security Engine toolbar and the ZoneAlarm Security Engine Registrar Browser Helper Object are both disabled. The ZoneAlarm LTD Toolbar IswSvc service was installed and set to Auto start.

There is only one Un-installable Checkpoint entry in “Uninstall or change program” list: ZoneAlarm Pro. There is an Uninstall.exe “ZoneAlarm LTD Toolbar installation package” 1.5.393.22 in C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField). Can that be used to uninstall the “Web Security” components?

-----------------------------------------------------
    Win 7 Home Premium
    ZoneAlarm Pro version: 11.0.000.054
    Vsmon version: 11.0.000.054
    Driver version: 11.0.000.026
    ZoneAlarm Security Engine: 1.5.393.22
    ZoneAlarm Security Engine Registrar: 1.5.393.22
    IswSvc.exe 1.5.393.22

Default Re: Can the “Web Security” components of ZoneAlarm Pro be uninstalled?

Under WIN7 control panel "Uninstall a program" you should see the three software been installed. I.e.: ZAPRO, do not track and the toolbar. You should be able to remove the toolbar and do not track from there.

Forcefield is a component of ZA web security that works independently from them and will provide protection for IE9 (site check, antiphishing). You cannot removed forcefield but you can turn it OFF from the web security. However it needs an engine registrar, engine and altff control been turned ON in IE9. If you have uninstalled correctly the toolbar you should not see an entry like "ZoneAlarm Security toolbar" and "ZoneAlarm Helper Object". At least this is what I see in ZA 11.0.000.057.

Watch out that when removing ZA to remember to remove also the toolbar and do not track as they are not removed by the ZA uninstaller.

From what you list there seems to be a mix of old/disabled and new to be enabled components for ZA to work correctly.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

March 1, 2013

A workaround for my missing ZoneAlarm Pro (ZAP) “Browser Security Toolbar” Uninstallers in WIN7’s “Uninstall or Change Program” Control Panel Item after ZAP 11.0.000.054 “clean” install.

Unchecking the “Install Browser Security Toolbar” option of the ZAP install did not prevent the installation of the Browser Security Toolbar components as I had expected. And no WIN7 “Browser Security Toolbar” Uninstallers appeared.

Since my last post above, I’ve had success using this workaround: Turing off the start-up entries for “BHO ZoneAlarm Security Engine Registrar” and “Toolbar ZoneAlarm Security Engine” prevents the BHO and Toolbar components from being injected into IE9 at each browser start up. Disabling the “ZoneAlarm LTD Toolbar IswSvc” Service prevents its execution at each WIN7 start up and also prevents the creation of the Service’s “IswTmp” temporary folder as well.

Good you found a work around. A warning for other users. This will prevent the website blocking feature to work. Also if you have problems with ZA you will be out of official support.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Default Re: Can the “Web Security” components of ZoneAlarm Pro be installed?

FYI

In the next Major release of ZoneAlarm we will be removing all of the old Forcefield technology from the product.

Sorry no ETA on this release.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information