Thread: ZAfree 10.2.047.000 crashing the computer

Default ZAfree 10.2.047.000 crashing the computer

[za 10.2.047, updated today, I think] started in to a scan last night and spontaneously crashed my computer. Rebooting and limiting program use didn't really help. I think it crashed the computer with nothing but "task manager" running; though, it might have let me run it for a while with no progs loaded and then to shut it down normally.

Virus scan started again this am and appears to start over every time. After 12,000 files, it reports 2% done (could take many hours?). I leave it to run, but return to find it crashed. Again, virus scan appears to start over. I cancelled the virus scan, and am able to run the computer for the moment. This process seems to be about the same thing that happened several months ago.

Computer constantly seems to fight w za. vsmon activity sometimes carried out, but frequently crashing computer. Spontaneous scans seem to happen a few times/week in late pm and often crash computer. I think these are not usually as deep as the one that owns the computer every few months. Once in awhile the evening scan can complete; sometimes I can even use the computer during the scan; albeit, very lightly. Opera with many windows open gets really touchy.

Computer is xp sp3, 7+ years old, 80Gb hard drive w 14Gb free, 2Gb ram, 2GHz. It is ****, but I want to use it as is (don't have disks or want to reload OS). Can ZA be fixed to work? crashing the computer

Default Re: crashing the computer

Hi!

exact version of ZA used? Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy to clipboard --> Paste it here. Remove your license key if there.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: crashing the computer

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!

exact version of ZA used? Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy to clipboard --> Paste it here. Remove your license key if there.

Thanks,
    Fax
    ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 10.2.047.000
    vsmon version: 10.2.047.000
    Driver version: 10.2.047.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.2.11.97
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1112295136
    Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.388.0

Default Re: ZAfree 10.2.047.000 crashing the computer

Hi!

thank you for providing more information on the version used. It is rather difficult to provide a solution to your problem that may depend on many different factors. In particular it seems that the problem may point to other issue than ZA as the version you are currently using dates back to around spring 2012. The update you seem to have received may be not be ZA related as we are now at version 11.0.000.057.

But, assuming your system and OS is perfectly fine and there no other issues such as malware infection, OS corruption, etc then having a good cleaning of ZA from the system (remove your current ZA, installing the latest) should resolve the problem.

I would recommend:

1. Remove your current ZA from XP add/remove programs.
    2. Reboot the PC
    3. Double check that under add/remove there are no other elements related to ZA (e.g. ZA toolbar).
    4. Run the ZA removal tool (clean.exe). You can download it from here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe
    5. Reboot the system
    6. Turn ON the XP windows firewall (ZA will take care to turn it off at install)
    7. Download the latest ZA free version you find here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information