Thread: [SOLVED] Error 1603 Installing Version 11

Hybrid View

Default [SOLVED] Error 1603 Installing Version 11

My OS is Vista 32-bit with all updates. I was using Zonealarm 10 free Anti-virus and Firewall for about 6 months and was running fine. Two weeks ago a new version of Zonealarm automaticlly started installing right after booting, each time getting 3 Error code 127's and ending with Error 1619. But Version 10 was still working ok. Then 2 days ago using Add/Remove programs I Uninstalled all 3 of the Zonealarm entries which seemed to complete ok, but still the automatic install started on the reboot and failed with Error 1603. Using Ccleaner I removed all the Zonealarm entries in the Start Up Group, did a reboot and the automatic install finally was gone. I then d/l and ran the Zonealarm Clean program, but it also fails due to a Permissions problem. I then d/l the latest Zonealarm free but it gets the same Error 1603. ~snip~
    and it gets a Access violation trying to remove ProgramFiles/Checkpoint/Zonealarm/zlavscan.dll . I have done the Net user thing and booted as Admin but still Zonealarm.msi gets the Access violation. Using Windows Explorer I then removed all files and folders in Users\AppData\... and from ProgramFiles\Checkpoint everything except zlavscan.dll which gets access violation. I then searched the registry for "Zlav" and found numerous "zlavscan.dll" entries.
    I would say the problem is that the Un-install of Ver 10 did not include removing the Zonealarm Antivirus Scan. Could someone update the Zonealarm.msi program to properly Un-register the Version 10 Free Anti-Virus.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 13th, 2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: remove hyperlink to incomplete/outdated version

Default Re: Error 1603 Installing Version 11

Hello;

Try this:

1. Open your control panel select the Add remove programs / Program and Features

2. If any of the following have been installed, uninstall them.
    - ZoneAlarm
    - ZoneAlarm toolbar
    - Do Not Track

3. Download and run our clean up utility from:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

4. Download the previous version of Free ZA and install:

- Free Firewall: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...10_000_054.exe (zafwSetup) <= Free version without AV

- Free AV +Firewall: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...10_000_054.exe (zaSetup)
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I know my Post was kind of long and wordy, but I have already done ALL of these steps. Zlavscan.dll can not be removed due to Access violation. The registry will have to be cleaned up, and I do not know how to do that.

Have you tried to use the clean.exe but in SAFE MODE? Or remove the file in safe mode? Unfortunately downloading a .msi installer have not helped the process. Not sure how you found this file as it is not a valid installer. Alternatively restore the PC to a previous restore point (before the issue). ZA will be broken but you should be able to run the cleaning procedure.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

I got the MSI insaller from the link in Post #10 to this message:
    https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...s-Instructions
    Yes, I have tried to use clean.exe in Safe Mode, it gets the same Access problem.
    I did Restore to before the automatic install of Ver 11 started but that did not resolve the Access violation. Zlavscan was installed months ago when I started to use Ver 10 and I do not have any Restore Points that go back that far. I can not afford to do a full system re-install. The problem is simply that on my Vista system Zonealarm Free Antivirus / Firewall Uninstaller for Ver 10 did not do a complete uninstall and the Cleaner.exe does not remove the Registry entries for Zlavscan before trying to delete it.

I am afraid the use of that .msi has further compromised your installation. No main ZA component will be loading in SAFE MODE, so I don't understand how you cannot access that registry entry. You should take ownership (permission) and manually remove it.

Sorry, no other suggestions from my side.

Default RE: Error 1603 Installing Version 11

If it is known that 11.0.0.57 will not Install why is it still being offered for Download as the current Free Product?

Default Re: [SOLVED] Error 1603 Installing Version 11

Please do not duplicate threads, use PM instead to have it added to the relevant discussion. For this case even better to search the board before posting as this has already been addessed here: error code 127 and 1603

This will additionally save time for volunteers here to edit, move, replace posts.

Thanks,
    Fax

Quote Originally Posted by Oldnslow View Post
    If it is known that 11.0.0.57 will not Install why is it still being offered for Download as the current Free Product?

Its only an issue if your upgrading or the pc at one time had a previous version installed at some point and time.

On new brand new installs its not an issue at all.

FYI On our support downloads page we don't offer this version.

Support has no control over what is offered on the main website as far as new or trial downloads.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information