Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Error 1603 Installing Version 11

Default [SOLVED] Error 1603 Installing Version 11

My OS is Vista 32-bit with all updates. I was using Zonealarm 10 free Anti-virus and Firewall for about 6 months and was running fine. Two weeks ago a new version of Zonealarm automaticlly started installing right after booting, each time getting 3 Error code 127's and ending with Error 1619. But Version 10 was still working ok. Then 2 days ago using Add/Remove programs I Uninstalled all 3 of the Zonealarm entries which seemed to complete ok, but still the automatic install started on the reboot and failed with Error 1603. Using Ccleaner I removed all the Zonealarm entries in the Start Up Group, did a reboot and the automatic install finally was gone. I then d/l and ran the Zonealarm Clean program, but it also fails due to a Permissions problem. I then d/l the latest Zonealarm free but it gets the same Error 1603. ~snip~
    and it gets a Access violation trying to remove ProgramFiles/Checkpoint/Zonealarm/zlavscan.dll . I have done the Net user thing and booted as Admin but still Zonealarm.msi gets the Access violation. Using Windows Explorer I then removed all files and folders in Users\AppData\... and from ProgramFiles\Checkpoint everything except zlavscan.dll which gets access violation. I then searched the registry for "Zlav" and found numerous "zlavscan.dll" entries.
    I would say the problem is that the Un-install of Ver 10 did not include removing the Zonealarm Antivirus Scan. Could someone update the Zonealarm.msi program to properly Un-register the Version 10 Free Anti-Virus.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 13th, 2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: remove hyperlink to incomplete/outdated version

Default Re: Error 1603 Installing Version 11

Hello;

Try this:

1. Open your control panel select the Add remove programs / Program and Features

2. If any of the following have been installed, uninstall them.
    - ZoneAlarm
    - ZoneAlarm toolbar
    - Do Not Track

3. Download and run our clean up utility from:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

4. Download the previous version of Free ZA and install:

- Free Firewall: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...10_000_054.exe (zafwSetup) <= Free version without AV

- Free AV +Firewall: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...10_000_054.exe (zaSetup)
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I know my Post was kind of long and wordy, but I have already done ALL of these steps. Zlavscan.dll can not be removed due to Access violation. The registry will have to be cleaned up, and I do not know how to do that.

Have you tried to use the clean.exe but in SAFE MODE? Or remove the file in safe mode? Unfortunately downloading a .msi installer have not helped the process. Not sure how you found this file as it is not a valid installer. Alternatively restore the PC to a previous restore point (before the issue). ZA will be broken but you should be able to run the cleaning procedure.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

I got the MSI insaller from the link in Post #10 to this message:
    https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...s-Instructions
    Yes, I have tried to use clean.exe in Safe Mode, it gets the same Access problem.
    I did Restore to before the automatic install of Ver 11 started but that did not resolve the Access violation. Zlavscan was installed months ago when I started to use Ver 10 and I do not have any Restore Points that go back that far. I can not afford to do a full system re-install. The problem is simply that on my Vista system Zonealarm Free Antivirus / Firewall Uninstaller for Ver 10 did not do a complete uninstall and the Cleaner.exe does not remove the Registry entries for Zlavscan before trying to delete it.

I am afraid the use of that .msi has further compromised your installation. No main ZA component will be loading in SAFE MODE, so I don't understand how you cannot access that registry entry. You should take ownership (permission) and manually remove it.

Sorry, no other suggestions from my side.

How do I take ownership (permission) ?

You may want to check here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Otherwise use Google, you will find plenty of links about it. You will have to perform this in safe mode.

I am not trying Access a Registry entry, it's the Clean.exe and the MSI installer that can not Access Zlavscan. If I had a Manual Un-install list for Zonealarm Free Antivirus/Firewall then maybe I would need the Registry Ownership (permission). I have found a manual Uninstall procedure for Vista but it is for an older version as it does not have the Checkpoint folder names or Registry entries. Can you provide me with a Version 10 Manual Un-Install for ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall for Vista 32Bit ?

There may be a misunderstading. You seems to suggest again that you want to run a MSI. You should run the proper installer of ZA (.exe) not a MSI that was likely the origin of the problem. Its not unfortunately clear what you want to remove. If it is a file then you can try this:http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/fileassassin/

If it is about a registry you can use the procedure already suggested.

I am not aware of any supported manual file removal instruction for version 10 or 11.

Sorry, I have no other suggestions to resolve your issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information