Thread: ZoneAlarm Free +AV: 11.0.000.054 hangs while updating on mobile broadband

Default ZoneAlarm Free +AV: 11.0.000.054 hangs while updating on mobile broadband

IS THIS A SECURITY ISSUE

Am trying to use "UPDATE NOW" function. Due to bad internet mobile broadband connection the update fails with an error message and hangs. When trying to close, windows automatic "END NOW" kicks in, and upon doing so crashes ZoneAlam, and shuts down VSMON. Immediately after, internet connection is resumed.

Does this mean that with ZoneAlam crashed I am unprotected?
    Is this a vulnerability or security issue?

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 11.0.000.054
    Vsmon version: 11.0.000.054
    Driver version: 11.0.000.054
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.0.13
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1113688096
    Last edited by fax; March 3rd, 2013 at 06:11 AM.

Smile Re: AM ABLE TO DISABLE ZONEALARM ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 11.0.00

Hello;

Help us Help you by providing us more information about your computer..

is this aDeskTop, Laptop computer or Netbook;

at kind of Connection to the Internet do you have?

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software , without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

Also, does your computer meet the Minimum System Resource requirement for Zone Zlarm?

Microsoft® Windows® 8:

• 32-bit (2 GB RAM)/ 64-bit (4 GB RAM)
    • 2 GHz or faster processor
    • 250MB of available hard-disk space

Microsoft® Windows® 7:

• 32-bit (2 GB RAM)/ 64-bit (4 GB RAM)
    • 2 GHz or faster processor

Microsoft Windows, XP SP2 or SP3 Home / Professional

• 32-bit, 1GB RAM
    • 1 GHz or faster processor

Default Re: AM ABLE TO DISABLE ZONEALARM ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 11.0.00

Sounds like a bad install or conflicts with your PC setup

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: AM ABLE TO DISABLE ZONEALARM ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 11.0.00

Hi GeorgeV and Fax

Thanks for getting back to me.

What surprised me was how easy Vsmon was knocked-out. Usually its a tough old bird that will never budge.This is the only incident I have had with ZA, and would still recommend the product it to anyone

My set-up

• Win XP sp2
    • Internet connection: 3 Mobile Broadband Dongle E3231
    • Computer: Desktop PC
    • Processor: ?
    • Ram: 768 ( I think)

Looks like you don't have the minimum requirements to run ZA. You must have a least 1 GIGA of RAM (2 recommended) to run it. As soon as you have some applications/drivers/components starting at boot then RAM for ZA will not be sufficient.

I think also support for XP SP2 has ended at the end of 2011. So, before worrying about shutdown of ZA I would at least update fully XP to SP3 + all patches (several hundreds if not thousands of vulnerabilities has been fixed since). No security tools will be able to protect you if run on an untrusted platform, including ZA.

I would therefore trying to find a security tool that can run on your system (without crashing) and that you can keep fully up-to-date after having updated XP.

Edited the title to better hint to the issue for other users browsing the forum.

Thanks,
    Fax
    P.S. Its normal if you have physical access to the PC to kill ZA in one way or another
    Last edited by fax; March 3rd, 2013 at 06:45 AM.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free +AV: 11.0.000.054 hangs while updating on mobile broadband

Hi Fax

Your probably right. XP is knocking on a bit. But all seems to be well, have just updated (05:30 GMT uk time) with the two green ticks. ZA functions exactly as it should do. Have even tested the anti-virus with Eicar, and all with flying colours. Think it was a combination of several things, intermittent internet connection and at a busy time of day etc.

Still think ZA is a great piece of kit.

ps. Really like these anti-spam captcha. Much easier than text.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free +AV: 11.0.000.054 hangs while updating on mobile broadband

Thank you for your feedback! As it seems you are OK anyway with the situation I will soon close this thread as the problem seems to have been addressed.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information