Thread: [WORKAROUND] ZoneAlarm 2013 and SpyBot S&D 2.0.12.0 conflicts

Hybrid View

Default [WORKAROUND] ZoneAlarm 2013 and SpyBot S&D 2.0.12.0 conflicts

I'm a first time poster in these forums and apologize if I posted this thread in the wrong category.
    I'm having a conflict between ZoneAlarm 2013 Free 11.0.000.057 and SpyBot Search & Destroy 2.0.12.0 (by Safer-Networking.org) on Windows 8 Pro 64bit. SpyBot's Scanner service (SDFSSvc.exe) and Update service (SDUpdSvc.exe) will not run when ZoneAlarm is installed.
    I've checked the Windows Event Viewer and can see the error messages with these services and SpyBot's logs, but they don't provide any useful information. I've changed ZoneAlarms' App Control Settings for these services to a Trust Level of Super and Outbound Trusted & Internet set to Allow; however, this did not fix the problem with SpyBot's services.
    As a test I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and SpyBot's services started working again. As another test I installed the same versions of SpyBot and ZoneAlarm on Win 7 64bit and the services start and work properly. This conflict only seems to happen on Win 8.
    I've contacted Safer-Networking's Tech Support and they've been looking at this issue, but can't tell me if its being caused by SpyBot or ZoneAlarm. I like both of these apps because they are better than the built-in Windows apps. I would prefer to continue using both and would really appreciate any help in resolving this conflict.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Default Re: Windows 8 Conflict Between ZoneAlarm 2013 and SpyBot S&D 2.0.12.0

Its best to wait for Spybot people to finish there investigation.

If they find its ZoneAlarm ask them to reach out to ZoneAlarm to work directly with both development teams to fix it.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Unfortunately they are taking the stance that ZoneAlarm is causing the problem, but won't give me any reasons why that is the case. They have not responded to my last update in over a week and have a feeling they are not looking into this problem.

Why doesn't this thread show up under the ZoneAlarm Free Firewall where I posted it? Was it moved to a different location? If not, then shouldn't we give other users in the community the ability to reply? Maybe someone else has seen this problem and has a solution.

Thanks,
    Nick

FYI - when I sort this forum by date so the newest are at the top, I can't see my post which is only a couple days old. The only way I find it is to search for it by name. Hmm...???

I had the exact same problem. I changed one setting in Spybot and it seems to have solved the problem. In the SETTINGS, under the SCOPE tab, select the first option: "Scan the running system and active users."

Hope that helps!

===========================================

Quote Originally Posted by drnik110 View Post
    I'm a first time poster in these forums and apologize if I posted this thread in the wrong category.
    I'm having a conflict between ZoneAlarm 2013 Free 11.0.000.057 and SpyBot Search & Destroy 2.0.12.0 (by Safer-Networking.org) on Windows 8 Pro 64bit. SpyBot's Scanner service (SDFSSvc.exe) and Update service (SDUpdSvc.exe) will not run when ZoneAlarm is installed.
    I've checked the Windows Event Viewer and can see the error messages with these services and SpyBot's logs, but they don't provide any useful information. I've changed ZoneAlarms' App Control Settings for these services to a Trust Level of Super and Outbound Trusted & Internet set to Allow; however, this did not fix the problem with SpyBot's services.
    As a test I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and SpyBot's services started working again. As another test I installed the same versions of SpyBot and ZoneAlarm on Win 7 64bit and the services start and work properly. This conflict only seems to happen on Win 8.
    I've contacted Safer-Networking's Tech Support and they've been looking at this issue, but can't tell me if its being caused by SpyBot or ZoneAlarm. I like both of these apps because they are better than the built-in Windows apps. I would prefer to continue using both and would really appreciate any help in resolving this conflict.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Default Re: [WORKAROUND] ZoneAlarm 2013 and SpyBot S&D 2.0.12.0 conflicts

Excellent! Thank you very much for taking the time to report here how you resolved the conflicts between the two tools. It will for sure help other users with the same problem.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

That solved the problem only temporarily.

I made another change that hopefully will prove more successful.

In Spybot settings, under the DIALOGS tab, under IMMUNIZATION, select the option to "Offer UAC elevation for complete immunization."

Now when you run IMMUNIZATION, a message will appear. Click on the option to "Immunize My Account only."

===================================

Quote Originally Posted by ac21doj View Post
    I had the exact same problem. I changed one setting in Spybot and it seems to have solved the problem. In the SETTINGS, under the SCOPE tab, select the first option: "Scan the running system and active users."

Hope that helps!

===========================================

Thread Information